By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Insominiac biting the feeding hand?

Well Sony keeps all IP that they made. MS allows Insomniac to keep their IP. Sony doesn't market their games well and most after Resistance 1 ended up as sales flops. MS will most likely spend more $$ on marketing.

Seems at first glance that MS is a better partner.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
 after Resistance 1 ended up as sales flops. 

Do you think SO will even sell nearly as much as the "flops" you're talking about? Extremely unlikely.

Porcupeth said:
sales2099 said:
 after Resistance 1 ended up as sales flops. 

Do you think SO will even sell nearly as much as the "flops" you're talking about? Extremely unlikely.

More then the Ratchets, Resistance 3 sure, FUSE definately, Resistance 2 sales.......depends on how much MS values this.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

More than Res 3 and Fuse... but that's it.
And fuse was multiplat, not PS3 exclusive.

i think insomniac has done well for itself.

if sunset overdrive was exclusive to sony's systems everyone would think it is the generic looking slow paced average game that it is. but since it's exclusive to ms they benefit from ms marketing team and people think it looks "amazing" and "the first true next gen title" and all that other praise that is really, really laughable imo.

Around the Network

The difference of who owns the IP is if Insominac wants to bring Sunset Overdrive sequal out it doesn't have to be an MS system, because insominac owns the IP not MS.

Traitors!!!

Well, the only games that I like from IG are R&C.

But this game looks like a bit of fun, but totally not original.

walsufnir said:
DonFerrari said:

http://gearnuke.com/insomniac-games-explain-sunset-overdrive-exclusive-xbox-one-microsoft-terrific-partners/

By direct connection if Sunset Overdrive is exclusive to MS because they are terrific partners are they infering that Sony are bad partners? Are they bad mouthing the company that kept them fed for quite some time?

Crap. You can't say that if one is good, the other is bad. Just perhaps "not so good". Or not even thinking about the other one. Just for the point alone, MS is a terrific partner for Insomniac. Doesn't mean Sony wouldn't be.

When you justify the reason for exclusivity as "because MS is a terrifc partner" it just sounds as Sony isn't a good partner, because if it was the game would at least be multiplat. I don't what pass in everyone's mind nowadays that they aren't capable of being straighter to the point and say it's exclusive because MS is footing the bill.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bananaking21 said:
DonFerrari said:
Zekkyou said:
Aren't MS footing the entire bill for SO? Both for the game itself and marketing?

Pretty sure i read that somewhere in the XB Nation thread today.

This is what I said in my OP, but the article try to sound like it's just because of IP ownership (and if it is exclusive to one platform, what difference ownership of the IP makes???).

it makes a big difference. if insomniace ever got another deal or decided to make another game. Microsoft cant continue with the franchise. the only way they would do so is by buying the IP. same with what happened with gears, which means probably spending a lot of money just to get the rights to the franchise. 

That is a what-if case as the same as if the publisher decides to make a different studio makes the game then they won't be able to work on it. And probably MS have somethng in the contract to warranty sequels in case of sucess.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

So, when Minecraft creator clearly bitched on Microsoft who helped them (and this is one of few example), it is normal and very well accepted by a certain fan base :) But when it is the other way around, those developers are traitors/biting the feeding hand/blah blah blah...

Also, Sony and/or Microsoft are both doing the same thing by the way. They are paying (in many different ways) to have different publishers/developers to develop for their platform... I find really funny the fact that several people believe game studios are developing for Sony platforms just because Sony are "nice" and "undertand the gamers" :) No they are not, for them (and MS) gamers are just customers, nothing else... And they are both trying to do their best to win them over.

And like Respawn Ent., for me it looks like MS contribution actually helped (or even saved) the game/project...
Sony had the opportunity to do the same and they did not.