By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Community Reborn!!!-An outbreak?! PSX has a date!!!

What did you think about Sony's Pre-TGS Conference?

It was nice 10 11.90%

Nothing that really caught my attention tbh 25 29.76%

It was awesome! 8 9.52%

Not Bad 7 8.33%

I didn't like it 11 13.10%

It was okay 10 11.90%

Needed more LoD! 4 4.76%

Decent 2 2.38%

Other 7 8.33%

Total:84

My guess is that PS VR is priced around four hundred or less.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
My guess is that PS VR is priced around four hundred or less.

My guess:

PS VR: $350
PS VR + PS Camera + 2 move controllers: $429

Sony has one big advantage here: Digital sales royalties. From what I've seen we shouldn't expect $60 disc based VR games but more like $20-$30 digital games, so a lot VR games sales will be digital. For every $30 digital purchase Sony will get $9, while Oculus wont get that as I highly doubt all Oculus game sales will go through an Oculus store, Steam will probably handle most of that.

Ttech. said:

You act as if that unit is another box with PS4 tech in it.  Its very basic compared to it.  Cost wont sky rocket due to it.

No, I'm acting like I don't know, because nobody except Sony (and their partners) do.  As I said previously, and remember, this depends on a few things being true.

If:

1) Nvidia is correct about needing a 970+ GPU

2) They provide similar performance/experience

Then:

How much is Sony going to have to eat, how much are they willing to eat, and how will that affect its launch price.  Again, I'm not hoping it's prohibitively expensive, I hope it's really accessible for the masses, but I'm tempering my expectations on it until I know more about the external unit that comes w/ the headset.  There's no IHS teardown of PS VR yet, so I'm just spitballing here.

Oh no doubt, but as I said, if Nvidia is to be believed, and a ~900 series GPU is necessary for optimal performance, I find it difficult to believe Sony's going to absorb THAT much.  Know what I mean?  9 series GPU's are still over $150/ea (many of them far higher).  How much do we think they're going to absorb here?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a downer about this, I want PS VR to succeed, I'm just tempering my expectations on cost.

Remember that both the Oculus Rift and PSVR are Display Devices with an integrated Gyroscope for headtracking to put it in simple terms. 

The proccesing takes place in the Ps4 and PC.

Obviously, the Ps4 is a device with standard specs and the PC is not. So minimum requirements have to be released so the Oculus can work in peoples computers.

Some info have released about the Processing box of the PSVR:

"However, despite the active cooling, we shouldn't expect too much from the external processor - core graphics rendering for VR all takes place within the PlayStation 4 hardware itself and it's going to be down to developers to work within existing limitations to get the best results. But from our perspective, the idea of computationally expensive, latency-sensitive tasks being offloaded to the external box is a good one, and should produce a better overall experience."

I believe that the CPU of the Ps4 is the one that needs that push instead of the GPU.

But at the end of the day, these are all our speculations. I hope that Sony sooner than later comes out with more information so we can stop talking shit LOL

P.D. If the PSVR releases at the same price as the Oculus, i wont be buying it. Not because the device itself is not worth it, but because it wont be successful at that price range imo and i dont want to spend all that money in a tech that will be unsuported, dead and buried a year later.

AEGRO said:

Oh no doubt, but as I said, if Nvidia is to be believed, and a ~900 series GPU is necessary for optimal performance, I find it difficult to believe Sony's going to absorb THAT much.  Know what I mean?  9 series GPU's are still over $150/ea (many of them far higher).  How much do we think they're going to absorb here?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a downer about this, I want PS VR to succeed, I'm just tempering my expectations on cost.

Remember that both the Oculus Rift and PSVR are Display Devices with an integrated Gyroscope for headtracking to put it in simple terms. 

The proccesing takes place in the Ps4 and PC.

Obviously, the Ps4 is a device with standard specs and the PC is not. So minimum requirements have to be released so the Oculus can work in peoples computers.

Some info have released about the Processing box of the PSVR:

"However, despite the active cooling, we shouldn't expect too much from the external processor - core graphics rendering for VR all takes place within the PlayStation 4 hardware itself and it's going to be down to developers to work within existing limitations to get the best results. But from our perspective, the idea of computationally expensive, latency-sensitive tasks being offloaded to the external box is a good one, and should produce a better overall experience."

I believe that the CPU of the Ps4 is the one that needs that push instead of the GPU.

But at the end of the day, these are all our speculations. I hope that Sony sooner than later comes out with more information so we can stop talking shit LOL

P.D. If the PSVR releases at the same price as the Oculus, i wont be buying it. Not because the device itself is not worth it, but because it wont be successful at that price range imo and i dont want to spend all that money in a tech that will be unsuported, dead and buried a year later.

Ok that makes more sense.  Definitely pulls the pricing down a bit for sure, thanks for that info.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Ttech. said:

You act as if that unit is another box with PS4 tech in it.  Its very basic compared to it.  Cost wont sky rocket due to it.

No, I'm acting like I don't know, because nobody except Sony (and their partners) do.  As I said previously, and remember, this depends on a few things being true.

If:

1) Nvidia is correct about needing a 970+ GPU

2) They provide similar performance/experience

Then:

How much is Sony going to have to eat, how much are they willing to eat, and how will that affect its launch price.  Again, I'm not hoping it's prohibitively expensive, I hope it's really accessible for the masses, but I'm tempering my expectations on it until I know more about the external unit that comes w/ the headset.  There's no IHS teardown of PS VR yet, so I'm just spitballing here.

1 I wouldnt trust nivida on anything, sour they be.

2 Its comparison between a product from a start up and Sony, one who been doing head mounted displayes for 2 decades now.  

Of course, its quite good then that the PS4 is a mega success and it affords them greater estimates and ability to eat things, i mean havent they already said they plan to subsidise the PSVR.  Will make No profit of the hardware initially.  

You'll probably be able to get a PS4+PS VR at half that. Sony has a pile of gold right in front of them just waiting to get picked up, hopefully they don't fuck it up!

BraLoD said:
PSVR will be $399 or even $349, probably $349 standalone.
Sony said it'll be priced as a new platform and also they will be taking a loss on it.

It won't be getting priced over the PS4.

It cant, that would be bad marketing.  Only way that could work is some big Vr camera 2 moves and games bundle.  

Sandalone PSvr has to be priced like a PS4 or 50 less.  

im gonna predict a standalone PSVR will be 199$

calling it right now bitches!

bananaking21 said:
im gonna predict a standalone PSVR will be 199$

calling it right now bitches!

That would be seriously undercut oculus and it will probably sell at a breakneak pace. It would be very easy to market.