By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Community Reborn!!!-An outbreak?! PSX has a date!!!

What did you think about Sony's Pre-TGS Conference?

It was nice 10 11.90%

Nothing that really caught my attention tbh 25 29.76%

It was awesome! 8 9.52%

Not Bad 7 8.33%

I didn't like it 11 13.10%

It was okay 10 11.90%

Needed more LoD! 4 4.76%

Decent 2 2.38%

Other 7 8.33%

Total:84
AEGRO said:
mornelithe said:
AEGRO said:
According to some reports of people that have used both devices, they have been saying that they are pretty much equivalent when it comes to performance (hardware wise).

If Sony manages to release the Playstation VR at 300-350$, it would be pretty much Game Over for Oculus Rift.

Imagine that you could buy a fucking Ps4 + PSVR at the same price of the Oculus Rift!

Yes and no, Occulus VR will depend entirely upon the GPU you own (If Nvidia is to be believed, it's a 900 series GPU or higher).  So, if it requires a high end GPU just to function properly, then you can't just say it costs $600.  The PSVR comes w/ an external processing unit, so the performance is standard across all PSVR units.  However, that raises the question, if the headsets capabilities are equivalent, how could Sony possibly bring it to market for less than the cost of the Occulus Rift when it comes w/ the external unit? 

Dont take my word as facts, but i believe Sony being a electronic company, they can find the parts at cheaper prices and use their own patents i believe.

Also, i read somewhere that Sony is willing to take a loss on each unit.

That's wise to do. They just need to get people's feet wet. 

Around the Network

Credit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191406773&postcount=964

That's wise to do. They just need to get people's feet wet. 

Exactly.

I would say that 100% of the VR naysayers have never tried VR.

In fact, 100% of the previous naysayers when they tried the device, all of them turn into believers.

VR is a tricky tech that people have to try from first hand to understand how it works, it is no easy task to show that to the consumer!

Sony must have a plan to have demo stations all across the country, from Best Buys to Gamestops, to fucking Walmarts.

If they promote the device how they suppose to and deliver enough content, IMO it is destined to succeed.

I BELIEVE IN VR

Ttech. said:
mornelithe said:

Yes and no, Occulus VR will depend entirely upon the GPU you own (If Nvidia is to be believed, it's a 900 series GPU or higher).  So, if it requires a high end GPU just to function properly, then you can't just say it costs $600.  The PSVR comes w/ an external processing unit, so the performance is standard across all PSVR units.  However, that raises the question, if the headsets capabilities are equivalent, how could Sony possibly bring it to market for less than the cost of the Occulus Rift when it comes w/ the external unit? 

Same way they made a more powerfull console at the same price as Xbox1.

That actually makes zero sense.  In this scenario, the XB1 would have no processor, while the PS4 does. 

As far as costs go, the XB1 itself is not that much more expensive than the PS4.  It's costs were inflated due to the inclusion of Kinect at launch (BoM for Kinect is $75).  

Pull Kinect out, and that's -$75, and they come fairly close to each other.

mornelithe said:
Ttech. said:
mornelithe said:

Same way they made a more powerfull console at the same price as Xbox1.

That actually makes zero sense.  In this scenario, the XB1 would have no processor, while the PS4 does. 

As far as costs go, the XB1 itself is not that much more expensive than the PS4.  It's costs were inflated due to the inclusion of Kinect at launch (BoM for Kinect is $75).  

Pull Kinect out, and that's -$75, and they come fairly close to each other.

PS4 is more powerfull and you just proven even without kinek Xbox1 costs more.

Thanks for proving my comment. 

Makes all the sense in the world, why you cant see it i dont know.

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
mornelithe said:

Dont take my word as facts, but i believe Sony being a electronic company, they can find the parts at cheaper prices and use their own patents i believe.

Oh no doubt, but as I said, if Nvidia is to be believed, and a ~900 series GPU is necessary for optimal performance, I find it difficult to believe Sony's going to absorb THAT much.  Know what I mean?  9 series GPU's are still over $150/ea (many of them far higher).  How much do we think they're going to absorb here?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a downer about this, I want PS VR to succeed, I'm just tempering my expectations on cost.

Ttech. said:

Obviously I see it since I used words like 'not much more expensive' ($15 more expensive, btw), why you can't see that, well clearly obvious from a mere few seconds of conversation with you.  Though, unsurprisingly, you completely disregard the actual relevant point, that this isn't the PS4 vs XB1, this is PS VR w/ an external processing unit versus Occulus, which doesn't.

mornelithe said:
AEGRO said:
mornelithe said:

Oh no doubt, but as I said, if Nvidia is to be believed, and a ~900 series GPU is necessary for optimal performance, I find it difficult to believe Sony's going to absorb THAT much.  Know what I mean?  9 series GPU's are still over $150/ea (many of them far higher).  How much do we think they're going to absorb here?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a downer about this, I want PS VR to succeed, I'm just tempering my expectations on cost.

I though Nvidia said a 970 is the reccomended minumum? If so isn't that like $350 minumum just for a GPU. Which would be 3x a PS4 cost just for the GPU + Headset without the other parts priced up.

mornelithe said:
Ttech. said:

Obviously I see it since I used words like 'not much more expensive' ($15 more expensive, btw), why you can't see that, well clearly obvious from a mere few seconds of conversation with you.  Though, unsurprisingly, you completely disregard the actual relevant point, that this isn't the PS4 vs XB1, this is PS VR w/ an external processing unit versus Occulus, which doesn't.

You act as if that unit is another box with PS4 tech in it.  Its very basic compared to it.  Cost wont sky rocket due to it.

WoodenPints said:

I though Nvidia said a 970 is the reccomended minumum? If so isn't that like $350 minumum just for a GPU.

I wasn't sure which model they indicated, so I wasn't going to put a number on it until I'd checked.  But, that's my point, if we're talking the need for that kind of horsepower, and reports are they provide a similar experience...you'd have to imagine there's at least some horsepower under the hood of that External Unit.  I'm just wondering exactly how much money Sony is willing to eat on this.