By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD is working on a brand new x86 CPU core

rolltide101x said:
walsufnir said:
I always bought expensive notebooks so I don't know about AMD and only the stuff that was some years ago.

I never used them for gaming and to me it was especially important to have a high Linux compatibility which is almost always guaranteed with Intel hardware.

So if you buy a Dell Latitude or a Thinkpad "lspci" (a Linux command line utility which will list pci-devices) will show a lot of Intel hardware. If you buy cheap, you get cheap. And this also means damn cheap Linux support.

I know a lot of people who would easily spend more money to get rock-solid hardware which is Linux-compatible and don't give a sh** about gpu-performance.

Linux has better support for AMD hardware than Intel hardware for the most part. You said you do not game on your laptops, Intel graphics drivers are not great on Linux. AMD drivers are on par with WIndows (for the most part).

Linux has better support for Intel hardware, for sure Because it's mainly Intel themselves that provide these drivers ;) Especially brandnew hardware has a very good support on Linux. Remember that Intel not only builds CPUs and GPUs... Of course the performance is bad but in general I never had problems with Intel GPUs on Linux, besides their GPU solution for that special Atom where they didn't produce the GPU but bought it from another vendor (I think it was PoweVR, don't want to look it up).

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
rolltide101x said:
walsufnir said:
I always bought expensive notebooks so I don't know about AMD and only the stuff that was some years ago.

I never used them for gaming and to me it was especially important to have a high Linux compatibility which is almost always guaranteed with Intel hardware.

So if you buy a Dell Latitude or a Thinkpad "lspci" (a Linux command line utility which will list pci-devices) will show a lot of Intel hardware. If you buy cheap, you get cheap. And this also means damn cheap Linux support.

I know a lot of people who would easily spend more money to get rock-solid hardware which is Linux-compatible and don't give a sh** about gpu-performance.

Linux has better support for AMD hardware than Intel hardware for the most part. You said you do not game on your laptops, Intel graphics drivers are not great on Linux. AMD drivers are on par with WIndows (for the most part).

Linux has better support for Intel hardware, for sure Because it's mainly Intel themselves that provide these drivers ;) Especially brandnew hardware has a very good support on Linux. Remember that Intel not only builds CPUs and GPUs... Of course the performance is bad but in general I never had problems with Intel GPUs on Linux, besides their GPU solution for that special Atom where they didn't produce the GPU but bought it from another vendor (I think it was PoweVR, don't want to look it up).

The graphics part of an Intel APU works out of the box in Linux but it underperforms. AMD APUs/GPUs have proper drivers. Open Source AMD drivers are not great either but the drivers from AMD theirself is as good as their Windows counterpart. Most of the time the drivers you use for Intel APUs is Nouveau which only uses about 70% of the power of the graphics part of the APU

Edit: Bolded part is a mistake, that is the name of the opensource Nvidia drivers.