By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U rides on Mario Kart

reggin_bolas said:
Nothing can save the Wii U. It can be salvaged however with another price drop; swap the gamepad for a pro controller and throw in Bayo 2 or some other non-Nintendo hardcore game for $199.

I don't think that implementing a large price cut will increase demand and software sales to the point that it would have been worth it. Price cuts to a system that no one cares makes people take another look; it doesn't mean that they'll buy it. People on the the Internet saying they would buy a system if... usually means nothing as it's all hypothetical and they could change their mind (and do) in an instant.

Giving people more reasons to want the system before considering a price cut is the more financially responsible thing to do.

Around the Network

Software sales hardware mario kart and smash bros are huge sellers along with zelda cant wait for you to eat crow enjoy

curl-6 said:

ps4tw said:

You mean recieve any system sellers? When I'm proven right I'll expect an apology ;) Keep dreaming, I'll keep my feet firmly on the ground. If Mario Kart was widely loved, explain the GC. Oh snap.

You're going to look very silly when MK8 sells millions. ;)

And Mario Kart sold 6.95 million on GC, despite ruining the franchise's core appeal (accessibility) by overcomplicating things. Games cannot sell that much if they are not widely loved. You're living in a dreamworld.

I actually think it will sell millions but not help shift the console. As with SB on GC, it shows that Nintendo fans eat up 1st party titles, but those titles don't draw in a wide audience, hence why the sales for the consoles are so low. 

Can't wait to show you I'm not the one living in la-la land ;) 

mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

Yeah, smash bros on the GC. Console barely sold, but that game did. Nintendo fans eat up all the franchises that Nintendo kick out, but are a dying breed. That combined with a system that is starving for releases, you'll find that those who buy Mario Kart will also have 3D Mario, DK, pikmin etc because there really isn't competition.

I'm failing to see your logic here. So there were zero games with broad appeal on the GC all due to its lower userbase? Therefore the same for XBOX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Vita? 

No, there were simply zero games with broad appeal on the GC fullstop. However the core Nintendo fans who do buy the consoles will always buy the 1st party titles regardless, which is unlike any other console as a Killzone owner may not own GT. 

ps4tw said:
curl-6 said:

ps4tw said:

You mean recieve any system sellers? When I'm proven right I'll expect an apology ;) Keep dreaming, I'll keep my feet firmly on the ground. If Mario Kart was widely loved, explain the GC. Oh snap.

And Mario Kart sold 6.95 million on GC, despite ruining the franchise's core appeal (accessibility) by overcomplicating things. Games cannot sell that much if they are not widely loved. You're living in a dreamworld.

I actually think it will sell millions but not help shift the console. As with SB on GC, it shows that Nintendo fans eat up 1st party titles, but those titles don't draw in a wide audience, hence why the sales for the consoles are so low. 

Keep an eye on Wii U hardware sales for the week MK8 launches. You are going to be wrong.

ps4tw said:
mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

Yeah, smash bros on the GC. Console barely sold, but that game did. Nintendo fans eat up all the franchises that Nintendo kick out, but are a dying breed. That combined with a system that is starving for releases, you'll find that those who buy Mario Kart will also have 3D Mario, DK, pikmin etc because there really isn't competition.

I'm failing to see your logic here. So there were zero games with broad appeal on the GC all due to its lower userbase? Therefore the same for XBOX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Vita? 

No, there were simply zero games with broad appeal on the GC fullstop. However the core Nintendo fans who do buy the consoles will always buy the 1st party titles regardless, which is unlike any other console as a Killzone owner may not own GT. 

So now your argument has changed to only core Nintendo fans buy Smash Bros. and Mario Kart? Way to move the goal posts.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:
curl-6 said:

ps4tw said:

Keep an eye on Wii U hardware sales for the week MK8 launches. You are going to be wrong.

One week hardly counts as helping to shift consoles. We are talking about a permament boost to sales. 

mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:
mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

So now your argument has changed to only core Nintendo fans buy Smash Bros. and Mario Kart? Way to move the goal posts.

No, that has always been part of my point kid. The only exception is the Wii because more people than just Nintendo fans bought it. 

It's been six days. Is sethnintendo sober, yet?

ps4tw said:

One week hardly counts as helping to shift consoles. We are talking about a permament boost to sales. 

You can tell your theory is doesn't hold up when you have to make excuses about how everything that disproves it "doesn't count".

ps4tw said:
mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

No, that has always been part of my point kid. The only exception is the Wii because more people than just Nintendo fans bought it. 

How cute. A word to the wise; the forums are full of older gamers, don't bother with an Ad Hominem like that unless you're sure you aren't the kid.

As for your ever-changing argument:

ps4tw said:
mysteryman said:

Do you have any examples of games selling >9.45m without broad appeal?

Yeah, smash bros on the GC. Console barely sold, but that game did.

By that logic, top-selling games on systems that sold similarly well (Halo 2 on XBOX for example) don't have broad appeal. This is what you are saying with the fallacious logic that you are employing.

ps4tw said:

you'll find that those who buy Mario Kart will also have 3D Mario, DK, pikmin etc because there really isn't competition.

You assume that Nintendo's games are purchased purely out of bind loyalty; have you considered that they may be, just maybe, actually good games?

The lack of competition is also bunk, there are plenty of racing games, even kart racers, on Nintendo systems. Mario Kart sales are a cut above the rest, even Nintendo's other racing franchises. This actually suggests the opposite to your claims.