By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Phil Harrison:Wii Sports is a true 'next-generation' game

Why is this a shock to some of you?

Harrison seems gotten his feet back on the ground and is just being sensible. Just because he's from Sony's domain doesn't mean he cant praise or acknowledge the competition.

You guys really deserve a facepalm.jpeg.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network
finalsquall said:
@Soriku - Sony had casuals before the wii :P

Nintendo also had casuals before the Playstation *shock*

i see something coming in the future:"the playstation wii" it will come!!!

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
kingofwale said:
>What exactly could you possibly disagree with that he said?

Oh, plenty. mostly about the Japanese not wanting to sit down in the same sofa to play game. (see MH on PSP, before Wii's time)

also, about him having all his family and friends on one sofa, wow, who would know that even I have more friends than Phil. ;)

Ok, but you do agree with his broad assertion that lack of focus on casual gaming in Japan has cost them market share, and it was a bad move by Sony not to listen to Phil when it came to marketing to the casual gamer in Japan, assuming of course, he is telling the truth about them telling him that there is not casual market in Japan?

Absolutely not, Sony gaming has never been that 'casual'. Sure, it's more casual than xbox but if anyone SHOULD take the bigger role into exploring casual gaming, it's Nintendo. (and possibly Sega)

Nintendo has more recognizable charactes than any company out there. With Pokemon, Mario and Donkey Kong under its built, Going casual with Wii is the eventuality.

Also, instead of WHINNING about how their Japanese counterpart didn't do much, What was Phil doing for PSeye?? Where's the Yu-gi-oh series for it? Where are other major games that uses it? DO YOUR JOB FIRST Phil, you aren't some lower-level employee who has no saying in the direction of the company. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I really don't like Wii Sports

That said, it is the game that got people interested in the Wii. It's basically the game that sold a console, and I can't hate on that. It does showcase the Wii-remote in all of it's glory, and it does a good job of showing what the Wii will do. Nintendo has done a good job with this game, and Phil is just respecting their game. Nothing more than that.

Around the Network

I agree with DMeister,I don´t like Wii Sports either,but give credit where it´s due.

I actually love Wii Sports, I use it some times in the morning as a wake up work out. I used to do it more before (now just stick to regular work out exercises), but its still great nevertheless. Which is why I cant wait for the real deal "Wiifit".

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Phil has always been my favorite Sony exec. He's one of my favorite execs of any company.

I'm surprised that so many higher ups have said it's the true next gen. A year ago we wouldn't have seen that at all. A year ago it was talking about how it's two gamecubes duct taped together and Live and Cell are the true next gen. I guess execs can even show a little humility and know when they are getting their asses handed to them, and admit that there is a reason for it outside of silly PR spins. The wii is showing the future of game evolution, socially, and technologically.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Kudos to Harrison for being honest and acting like a man and a pro.