By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Phil Harrison:Wii Sports is a true 'next-generation' game

Soriku said:
@konn

Lol, Burnout? No thanks. Racing games aren't my thing. The only racing game I'd buy is GT (and even then I'd have to mull over if I RAELLY want to buy it).

@Bod and rout

Aye, niche. I see. I'm OK with that since I mostly buy niche RPGs mostly (horray for BK, Tales, etc. ^_^) But what happens to games like FF? I don't think that's going to suddenly go to mainstream (FF is pretty mainstream, but sales are shrinking. Is this what you mean by "going niche"?) to niche. But I could be wrong.

@Mars

How is it a "BS thread title" when that's basically what PH is saying?

About Final Fantasies : I'd reckon FFXIII will cost a shitload of money, much more than FF of the past, thus ~3 million sales will be nothing short of mediocre. What I'm trying to say is that while the cost of these kind of games significantly rose, their respective price or install base hasn't. Makes these kinds of games that less viable financially.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

For comparison, consider this:

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=SNES&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

In the top 20 best selling SNES games, only three were heavily multiplayer focused: F-Zero, Mario Kart and Killer Instinct. Let me emphasize that, because it shows how far we've come: 85% of the 20 best selling SNES games were either exclusively single player or heavily single-player focused.

Now look at the landscape today, where 90% of last year's top sellers were multiplayer, and I suspect even with the MGS4/GTA4/FFXIII juggernaughts on the way to bring the "revenge of single player", we're going to see at least 60 percent of the top 20 games this year be multiplayer focused, too, including the unstoppable forces that are Wii Play, Wii Sports and World of Warcraft.

I repeat: single player games are on the decline. Multiplayer games are on the rise. It's been a slow, but inevitable movement.

Don't forget Spore.  Though you get multiplayer contend it's a single plater game... and almost definitly going to be on that list.

Bodhesatva said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
Bodhesatva said:

Still the best game of the generation for me.

However, this is about "next generation"-ness, and not quality. If that means graphics or something, I disagree, but I do feel that it will easily be the most influential title this decade.

We'll be seeing more games like Wii Sports and less games like Final Fantasy in the future, that I feel quite confident of.

I'd hate that. I want games like Wii Sports AND FF to go hand-in-hand together, not one rule over another.

Come on please. You know that can't happen. Hardcore games (specifically RPGs) are getting thrown under the rug. So I agree with Bod in that we'll see more Wii Fit and Wii Sports and less Final Fantasy and Persona.

OT: Ive always liked Phil. He seems to be a guy that just loves games.

Even if it's headed that way, I don't want it to. There will still be RPGs to feed us RPG lovers. If there were no more RPGs I don't know what I'd do. X_X

That's really important to note, Soriku. I'm definitely not saying they're going away, and I'm just saying they're going the direction of niche.

You'll still get your games, I suspect, as long as the niche is still profitable.

There is one way I think this could possibly change: if you priced yourselves out of the market. Which is to say, if RPG players keep insisting on better graphics, higher production values, more more more, then you'll kill your own genre, because there isn't increasing revenue/profit growth to support it. But if you're happy with what you're getting now, no problem.

I don't know if that is totally true... I think RPG's, Shooter, and all traditional single-player games have been niche when compared to mainstream entertainment.  But it's all relative, to us (core-gamers) it does seem that way.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

he probably just wants nintendo fans to like sony lol

Soriku said:
@konn

cause he DID not say that.

that why, its just fishjoe grasping at an article in very fanboyish way.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
@Kingofwale:

What do you disagree about? He didn't really say anything that can be debated, from what I can see.

I'm not flaming you or anything, I honestly don't understand

He stated a lot of things outside of statistical facts. And anything outside of pure facts/law, can be debated.

The idea is very simple and should be common sense to anyone who knew slightest about philosophical reasoning. I don't even know what more I need to do to explain it.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Mars said:
Soriku said:
@konn

cause he DID not say that.

that why, its just fishjoe grasping at an article in very fanboyish way.

Actually Mars, if you would read this article, all the Lumanaries, Phil Harrison included, agreed that both Miis and Wii Sports personify true next gen gaming.  They claim next gen is about connectivity, and playing games with people.  Forming communities. 

They all reject the idea of next generation having anything to do with the technology.  Even more of note, none of these people are in any way associated with Nintendo, but called Miis and Wii Sports truly next gen.  So maybe you shouldn't be grasping at straws, because Phil Harrison actually agreed with this.  

I really don't see how the my title is substantially different from what is written.

Harrison said that he thinks Wii Sports is a title that encapsulates the idea of a true 'next-generation' game, and he admires Nintendo's success in marketing and sales.

@ bod

I agree. I can see RPGs going the way of fighters. Hardly any new ones and only brand names sell big numbers. I really hope FF 13 does well. I really want more HD RPGs!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

FishyJoe said:
I really don't see how the my title is substantially different from what is written.

Harrison said that he thinks Wii Sports is a title that encapsulates the idea of a true 'next-generation' game, and he admires Nintendo's success in marketing and sales.

@FishyJoe

Worry not, dude, it's a good title, no misleading here whatsoever.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)