By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Phil Harrison:Wii Sports is a true 'next-generation' game

Still the best game of the generation for me.

However, this is about "next generation"-ness, and not quality. If that means graphics or something, I disagree, but I do feel that it will easily be the most influential title this decade.

We'll be seeing more games like Wii Sports and less games like Final Fantasy in the future, that I feel quite confident of.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
pichu_pichu said:
this is quite a shock

Is more like the reality having big wii-biased moment...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Bodhesatva said:

However, this is about "next generation"-ness, and not quality. If that means graphics or something, I disagree, but I do feel that it will easily be the most influential title this decade.

We'll be seeing more games like Wii Sports and less games like Final Fantasy in the future, that I feel quite confident of.  

So how is it being Bodhesatava?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Bodhesatva said:

Hope you're wrong about that last part Bod...I have no problem with games like Wii Sports....but I love story driven games to play by myself like Final Fantasy....and if we see less of those because of Wii Sports then I will be very sad.

starcraft said:
vaio said:
kingofwale said:
I disagree with him, but I'm glad the guy speaks what he believes in. Good for him

No surprise there you will and have always disagreed with anything that promotes the Wii or 360.

@topic. First time i´ve seen a Sony exec actually say something nice about other then them selves.

Fixed.

LOL!

Sorry I missed that but thanks for fixing it, are you a handyman in real life too?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

We're already starting to see that and thats the reason for the mass wii hate.  People don't like the idea of every games no longer catering to their every need.

Wii sports is the biggest shift in gaming since 3D. It deserves a place in history.

games like Wii sports won't be sustainable in the future.. the majority of the market will eventually get tired of those casual games 10 year from now.
cause i mean, would you want to buy WIi sports 5,6,7,etc.???
japan may probably still buy it, but i'm sure most American and European consumers would be tired of it.

Torillian said:
Bodhesatva said:

Hope you're wrong about that last part Bod...I have no problem with games like Wii Sports....but I love story driven games to play by myself like Final Fantasy....and if we see less of those because of Wii Sports then I will be very sad.

It's just the way things are going, clearly. RPGs -- heck, even single player games in general -- are clearly on the decline, and party/casual or hardcore/multiplayer are clearly on the rise. Consider the best selling games of the last year, selling over, say, 3 million units (let me know if I'm missing anything):

World of Warcraft
Halo 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Guitar Hero II/III
Call of Duty 4
Madden 08
Mario Party 8
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

Am I missing any? I think that's it. I see one RPG on that list, and it's a hugely multiplayer game. I see precisely one game on there that's single player focused, Mario Galaxy. The rest are either entirely multi-player driven (Mario Party, Wii Play, Wii Sports) or significantly multiplayer dependant (CoD4, Halo 3 are, I believe, multiplayer experiences first, single player games second, as evidenced by their 5-10 hour single player campaigns).

I think we'll see some similarly bad signs for single player games in the coming year: I think FF XIII, as a great example, will sell well, but continue the decline in sales we've been seeing for the franchise over the last decade (it isn't a straight line down, but FF VII sold better than XIII sold better than IX sold about as well as X sold better than XII).

In short, sales suggest that single player, story driven gaming is on the wane, and multiplayer games -- be they casual like Wii Sports, hardcore like Call of Duty 4, or somewhere in between like Smash Brothers -- are all on the incline. 

I'm not saying single player games are going to go away completely, mind you: they're just less significant now than they were before.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I think the most interesting thing he said was the advertising. It's exactly what I've been saying for over a year. Nintendo commercials show people having fun, TOGETHER. Sony commercials show abstract sequences with no real people that appeal to a narrow demographic.