By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD for PS3 owners? -- kind of

This is why I didn't buy the PS2 for a DVD player and won't buy the PS3 or HDDVD add on for the 360 for a HD video player.

@ http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/08/no-dolby-truehd-or-dts-hd-for-ps3-owners/

"When the PS3 hit the street it was recognized as one of the most full featured Blu-ray players to date, but it seem now that PS3 owners aren't getting everything they thought they were. It has recently been uncovered that although the PS3 does have an HDMI 1.3 port, the software does not support bit stream audio. What this means for Blu-ray fans is that when they finally pick up one of those new Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.3, that they still can't enjoy Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD because there is no way to get the bits out of the PS3. Of course the DTS track can still be down mixed and PCM audio is supported, but so much for being the most capable Blu-ray player available.

** Dolby TrueHD can still be decoded inside the PS3 and sent as uncompressed audio to the AV receiver, but if the AV receiver has an integrated decoder it can't be used instead of the PS3's decoder. **

** This was confirmed by a Sony representative.**"

Around the Network

Actually, I jumped the gun on this. After reading a little more on other sites, it seems this is not entirely correct.

Yes, there is a Dolby Digital True HD logo on the side of all PS3. Good day to you.

Actually the 360 HD DVD add on I think doesn't have Dolby Digital True HD, someone check on that please as I'm not sure.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

superchunk said:
Actually, I jumped the gun on this. After reading a little more on other sites, it seems this is not entirely correct.

well you a wii lover/PS3 hater, makes sense.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
superchunk said:

Troll much?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Blue3 said:
superchunk said:

WOW blue, superchunk corrected the mistake and you threw in a PS3 hater comment in there, Thats not too polite, especially when he wrote that he jumped the gun!

ckmlb said:
Actually the 360 HD DVD add on I think doesn't have Dolby Digital True HD, someone check on that please as I'm not sure

I don't see how it could, the 360 does not have digital audio outs or HDMI. Maybe for the Elite version though?

@Blue - If I could have deleted the topic I would have, I realized the post was in error, and commented as such as soon as possible. Plus, I am not a ps3 hater, I just don't think Sony made good decisions this time. $600 video game player is just too much and way out of reach for a mass market device. When it is $300, I will probably get one.

superchunk said:

I don't see how it could, the 360 does not have digital audio outs or HDMI. Maybe for the Elite version though?

The 360 is HDMI 1.2, so it'll all be "downmixed" to PCM. Y'all can read the Arstechnica Elite review for more.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Reason 3592 not to buy a video game console to watch movies.