By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ethomaz's Dismantling the Myths: Amazon.com's Best Sellers is Not Accurate to the Predict Overall Hardware Sales in US (Checking: Accuracy with Software)

self forfilling profecy in that case

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Just looks like NPD just uses amazon data

Amazon and Walmart are part of NPD since 2012 if O'm not wrong... these are the last two big retail to be part of the tracking system. Before they have a tracking system with ~50% of the US market... today is close it is over 70%.

thus this whole thread is logical since NPD uses the data from the other, again self forfilling data is logical

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

One year after... I didn't checked but was Amazon wrong one single month?

ethomaz said:
One year after... I didn't checked but was Amazon wrong one single month?

Nope.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

GribbleGrunger said:

Nope.

Good... it is really useful for ranking position... sad it is not good to estimate sold units :(

ethomaz said:

GribbleGrunger said:

Nope.

Good... it is really useful for ranking position... sad it is not good to estimate sold units :(

Perhaps it could be to a certain extent. I'm crap at this sort of thing but perhaps you could take the daily position at a certain time and then make a graph from that. Perhaps certain average positions will indicate a certain amount. Let's say #100+ = < 100k, #50 = 200k, #20 = 250k, #10 = 300k and #5 = 350k. Just pulling these numbers out of thin air just to show you what I mean. After doing this for a few months we might start to see a patern.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

Perhaps it could be to a certain extent. I'm crap at this sort of thing but perhaps you could take the daily position at a certain time and then make a graph from that. Perhaps certain average positions will indicate a certain amount. Let's say #100+ = < 100k, #50 = 200k, #20 = 250k, #10 = 300k and #5 = 350k. Just pulling these numbers out of thin air just to show you what I mean. After doing this for a few months we might start to see a patern.

Hummmm... I think this patern changes in slow or fast months... like holidays the #10 could be way more than 300k for example.

ethomaz said:

Hummmm... I think this patern changes in slow or fast months... like holidays the #10 could be way more than 300k for example.

It would only be a rough estimate of course, but after a while se should get to know what numbers to expect on a given month.

The PS5 Exists. 

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 20 February 2023