By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "it was only when Wii emerged that video gaming truly took off"

Dno said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Although video games have been a relatively insular activity, it was only when Wii emerged that video gaming truly took off. To date, more than 21 million households have purchased Nintendo's console, lauded for its innovative wireless remote-control interface.

The great kernel of truth

Playstation was the first home console to hit 100 million and ps2 was the second..... Sony made games a house hold name not nintendo. and when 1 non sony, nonportable gaimng system hits 100 million call me.

give me your number, I'll call you when the Wii hits that number in 2011 :P

Around the Network

not a good article actually
they aren't sceptic about anything

''Hadouken!''

makingmusic476 said:
Viper1 said:
The author assumes Blu-Ray to be a far bigger key in the video game war than it truly is. He's misplaced the HD war as an equal parallel to the video game war.

It then goes on to question whether "Play-Station 3 reclaim its crown as the world's most popular video-game console?"

First, the PS3 never was the most popular so it has nothing to reclaim. If they mean Playstation as a brand perhaps they forget it is really Nintendo's crown to reclaim in the first place.

If you're going to start arguing about who came first, you can't ignore Atari.

Who no longer produces a home console.  I didn't ignore Atari but the fact remains they are no longer in the race to be crowned at all hence why the only console manufacturer of the 3 that has a crown to regain is Nintendo.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Viper1 said:
The author assumes Blu-Ray to be a far bigger key in the video game war than it truly is. He's misplaced the HD war as an equal parallel to the video game war.

It then goes on to question whether "Play-Station 3 reclaim its crown as the world's most popular video-game console?"

First, the PS3 never was the most popular so it has nothing to reclaim. If they mean Playstation as a brand perhaps they forget it is really Nintendo's crown to reclaim in the first place.

If you're going to start arguing about who came first, you can't ignore Atari.

Who no longer produces a home console. I didn't ignore Atari but the fact remains they are no longer in the race to be crowned at all hence why the only console manufacturer of the 3 that has a crown to regain is Nintendo.

More importantly, if you're talking about the PS brand, it is only in the process of losing the crown.  Can it really "reclaim" a crown that Nintendo is just barely getting its hands on (again)?  Or would "keep" be more accurate?  Of course, this kind of logical nitpick is about #23 or lower on the list of things wrong with the article. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I belive ferret want's to become a mod.

To the article well it was kinda nothing new.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

Around the Network

for the statement about the Wii to be true the guy is ignoring 25 plus years of video game history. the Atari 2600 was the first console that everybody wanted in their homes and it eventually sold 30 million. After the Video game crash left most of the previous companies completely dead or struggling Nintendo saved videogaming with the NES. The NES went on to sell sixty million units worldwide. The Next big Innovation came with games like Sega's Virtual Fighter which was a 3D game. Sega Ignored this innovation and Sony didn't and we all know what happened. The Saturn failed to compete seriously with the Playstation that went on to sell over 100 million units. Sega and Sony were also the first ones out of the gate for the sixth generation. While Sega had some major innovations it lacked a DVD player and serious support. This Lack of Support eventually led to Sega Dropping its console buisnees. On the otherhand Sony with their DVD playing PS2 had a lot of support from Developers. while being innovative in its own right the PS2 has gone on to sell close to 120 million units and it is stil selling pretty strong. Games for the PS2 will probably be coming out for the next year or two the system could still be selling strongly in the next 2-5 years with innovations similiar to the PSone. While the Wii is dominating the market now we are still early in the next generation which could last another eight to ten years. In those years a lot can happen either way so it is to early to be making decisions whether your a Sony Fan, Microsoft Fan, or Nintendo Fan. Whatever happens in this current generation every one should come out a winner in some way

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

royalcaribcruiser123 said:
for the statement about the Wii to be true the guy is ignoring 25 plus years of video game history. the Atari 2600 was the first console that everybody wanted in their homes and it eventually sold 30 million. After the Video game crash left most of the previous companies completely dead or struggling Nintendo saved videogaming with the NES. The NES went on to sell sixty million units worldwide. The Next big Innovation came with games like Sega's Virtual Fighter which was a 3D game. Sega Ignored this innovation and Sony didn't and we all know what happened. The Saturn failed to compete seriously with the Playstation that went on to sell over 100 million units. Sega and Sony were also the first ones out of the gate for the sixth generation. While Sega had some major innovations it lacked a DVD player and serious support. This Lack of Support eventually led to Sega Dropping its console buisnees. On the otherhand Sony with their DVD playing PS2 had a lot of support from Developers. while being innovative in its own right the PS2 has gone on to sell close to 120 million units and it is stil selling pretty strong. Games for the PS2 will probably be coming out for the next year or two the system could still be selling strongly in the next 2-5 years with innovations similiar to the PSone. While the Wii is dominating the market now we are still early in the next generation which could last another eight to ten years. In those years a lot can happen either way so it is to early to be making decisions whether your a Sony Fan, Microsoft Fan, or Nintendo Fan. Whatever happens in this current generation every one should come out a winner in some way
Genesis and SNES say hi, and also Star Fox which was 3D. 
Sega did NOT "ignore" 3D to my knowledge, there are plenty of other reasons the Saturn did not do well. 

Oh, you mean like the Slim?  2 years is a possibility; 5 is not.  3 years is extremely unlikely; 1 year is most probable.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Gaming never took off before the Wii. Riiiiiiiight.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

your right about starfox coming out before Virtual fighter (they did both come out in 1993) my mistake but I never owned a SNES. anyway if i remeber correctly Sega was looking at two different designs to become their new 32 bit system. The first one focused more on 3d gaming but was utimately dropped in favor of what became known as th sega saturn. what became known has the saturn was thought to make the 2d games better then its dropped counterpart. However they sacrificed a lot of the capabalitie that the other system had in making 3d games.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

royalcaribcruiser123 said:
your right about starfox coming out before Virtual fighter (they did both come out in 1993) my mistake but I never owned a SNES. anyway if i remeber correctly Sega was looking at two different designs to become their new 32 bit system. The first one focused more on 3d gaming but was utimately dropped in favor of what became known as th sega saturn. what became known has the saturn was thought to make the 2d games better then its dropped counterpart. However they sacrificed a lot of the capabalitie that the other system had in making 3d games.
I see.