By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just realized something....

Barozi said:
daredevil.shark said:
pokoko said:
First of all, games have never been cheaper. Considering inflation, it's amazing how expensive gaming used to be in comparison. Excluding RPGs, games have also never had so much content.

I know. But steam sales shows a little patience can do the magic trick. But I dont like to wait for a price drop of a game.

Which is exactly the point. If there weren't as many people buying the game at or near launch for the full price, there wouldn't be such great deals on Steam only 12 months later because the publisher couldn't afford to make them that cheap.

I have started to think like average consumers. I used to care about gaming companies. Now I will only look for the best deal.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Steam sales have really changed how I view 3rd party games. Why should I pay full price for the console version when the PC version will be at least 50% cheaper in a few months? That being said, I'm okay with the $60 price tag on games. I don't feel ripped off when I buy a Wii U or PS3 game at full price, I just focus on games I can only get on console.

Why should Ubisoft, EA or Blizzard make AAA games with huge budgets. For example 900 people were working on Assassin Creed Black Flag. That's a gigantic investment and risk. Yes, the average game cost 60$, but that doesn't go directly to the developer. The shop wants to get a profit on it, tranport cost, mass production in the factory, marketing, buildings where the employees are working, huge amount of electricity and paying off the develop costs (900 employees in this case). People really under-restimate that the prices went up a lot the last 10 years (inflation) and we still pay €50/$60 for an average game. What if they adjusted inflation on the average game price. 

I don't mind to pay full prices (€50) for games I want to play. If I don't agree with the price that I won't buy it.

Source about Assassin Creed:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Assassin-Creed-4-Had-Over-900-People-Working-Game-59948.html

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/

kowenicki said:
Games are cheap. The price of four Mojitos for my wife on a night out.

Exactly. I can and have spent 3-4x as much on nights out with the wife, an whoever was talking about Ellen Page earlier I'm sure she didn't do the game for free. I'd bet she was a nice chunk of the budget.

$60 is actually extremely reasonable for most games. Nothing wrong with waiting for sales, but games are a lot cheaper than most other entertainment mediums for the amount of entertainment they provide.

Barozi said:
There are very few games that aren't worth $60. In reality games are far too cheap for what they offer. Either that or everything else (cinema, Blu-Rays, books, bowling, pool etc.) is far too expensive.

Amen, brother.  Took my GF to see shitty Divergent and grabbed dinner at Olive Garden.  Over $100 in three hours, easy.  Meanwhile my copy of Street Fighter 4 still offers as much entertainment as it did 4 years ago.

Around the Network
ImmortalHelixFossil said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Steam sales have really changed how I view 3rd party games. Why should I pay full price for the console version when the PC version will be at least 50% cheaper in a few months? That being said, I'm okay with the $60 price tag on games. I don't feel ripped off when I buy a Wii U or PS3 game at full price, I just focus on games I can only get on console.

Why should Ubisoft, EA or Blizzard make AAA games with huge budgets. For example 900 people were working on Assassin Creed Black Flag. That's a gigantic investment and risk. Yes, the average game cost 60$, but that doesn't go directly to the developer. The shop wants to get a profit on it, tranport cost, mass production in the factory, marketing, buildings where the employees are working, huge amount of electricity and paying off the develop costs (900 employees in this case). People really under-restimate that the prices went up a lot the last 10 years (inflation) and we still pay €50/$60 for an average game. What if they adjusted inflation on the average game price. 

I don't mind to pay full prices (€50) for games I want to play. If I don't agree with the price that I won't buy it.

Source about Assassin Creed:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Assassin-Creed-4-Had-Over-900-People-Working-Game-59948.html

In contrast, Ubi is publishing Child of Light later this week.

Much smaller team, digital only distribution, and a $15 price point.

May just be a better game than AC4 too....

In terms of ROI, could be one of Ubi's best investments both financially and for gamers.

I'm buying it just to make a certain point...

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016