By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Quietly Removes Ability to Download PSP/PS One Games Unlocked a Few Days Ago on PS Vita

I got mine!! Spent a few hours yesterday playing CTR and Spyro!! Sorry for the guys that missed out but I am so happy right now. Just wish I would have checked on a digital version of Metal Gear PO. I still only have that on UMD.

Around the Network

One thing that was crazy--on CTR, I could save my game on adventure mode but when I did grand prix/arcade, it said no memory card was inserted. Not sure what to do about that one.

Turkish said:

Title bait, why are you not putting the entire title of the article in your thread title? You have more than enough space to cover it. They are not removing the ability to download all PS1/PSP games.

My bad I never really thought of it like that. I thought the title would have been too long so I shortened it. Now I can see how it would have been misleading lol.

greenmedic88 said:

OP title is misleading.

You made me turn on my PSV only to find that nothing has changed. I can still download PSP games (PS Vita/PSP) on the top menu of the PS Store for PS Vita. I can still download PS One Classics For PS Vita/PS3/PSP; again on the top menu of the PS Store for PS Vita.

While I don't doubt that some content that was removed as fast as it was made available, it's as clear as the screen I'm looking at right now to my right on a PS Vita that PSP/PS One games are still available for download on this handheld.

Yeah, I just reread the title and can see how it was misleading. I changed to the exact same title as the article. Hopefully that will seem less like clickbait.

d21lewis said:
I got mine!! Spent a few hours yesterday playing CTR and Spyro!! Sorry for the guys that missed out but I am so happy right now. Just wish I would have checked on a digital version of Metal Gear PO. I still only have that on UMD.

I would have liked to have played Portable Ops and Ops + on my Vita. Those are among the handful of orphaned UMD games I have that I would rather have in my PSN account for play on the Vita than on a dead format. 

Here's hoping those games (maybe even Ac!d/Ac!d 2 while they're at it) get a second lease in the future. 

Around the Network

What is this? Haven't PS1 games been compatible with Vita for a very long time? Or was this about free games through a PS Store glitch?

I have lots of PS1 games on my Vita but I've had them for at least two years so ..

Yep.

Just confirmed Portable Ops and Ops + are in the PS3 Store, but there is no label stating PSP | PS Vita compatibility, so I'm guessing it's not.

I won't bother spending $10 to confirm the game won't play on the PS Vita.

This totally confuses me. Is this related to the US shop? Because i have been able to download psp and ps1 games since i got a vita. Is this not available on the US shop?

kekrot said:
What is this? Haven't PS1 games been compatible with Vita for a very long time? Or was this about free games through a PS Store glitch?

I have lots of PS1 games on my Vita but I've had them for at least two years so ..

They might have inadvertently made certain titles accessible (for purchase) through the PS Vita Store that may have cross licenses pending or something along those lines. In short, they weren't supposed to be for sale. 

Unless anyone can confirm otherwise, I don't think they were giving away free downloads of old games, not that glitches like these don't happen on occasion, usually due to some error made by the database manager.

Nem said:
This totally confuses me. Is this related to the US shop? Because i have been able to download psp and ps1 games since i got a vita. Is this not available on the US shop?

There were certain games that worked on Vita and certain games that didn't.  A lot of us had digital games on the PSP (ie: the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games or Syphon Filter for PSP) but wouldn't work on the Vita.  A couple of days ago, all of the games that weren't working suddenly started working.  Some say it was the work of Skynet.  Anyway, we were all super happy to finally get our missing games.  Today, the ability to download those games has vanished.  Those that missed out are screwed unless Sony gives us the ability again.

And now you know.