By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GDC: More from Molyneux

Legend11 said:
Yeah Will Wright is a good person to use, afterall his company is responsible for The Sims, you may as well mention someone from Blizzard as well. As for Mark Rein he had an interview on February 7th in which he stated consoles were taking gamers away from PC.

As for NPD, the biggest market in the World is a very important one. You mention outside North America but besides South Korea, Germany, Denmark and Sweden how many other countries are strong for PC game markets? Eastern Europe and Asia where piracy is rampant?

Also the two strategy games being ported to console because of poor PC sales isn't speculation. I'll find the article and post a link to it here.

I'm assuming you are referencing Supreme Commander and Universe at War. Supreme Commander has sold 710K copies on PC to this point, and Universe at War doesn't have sales data that I can find. It's also on Steam, so some of its sales are digital. I'd be happy to bet you that the 360 version of Universe at War sells less than the PC version though, since your precious 360 is obviously incapable of poor sales.

Around the Network

Oops as for DFC Intelligence that you mentioned, they expect the PSP to catch up with the DS, the PS3 will outsell the Wii in software sales, and that the PS3 will emerge as "King of the Hill". I take the things they say with a grain of salt.

source: http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/09/28/dfc-intelligence-playstation-3-to-own-game-sales-charts-by-2012/

That's fine, DFC may need to be taken with a grain of salt. They were just a quick source I grabbed. Still waiting on you to show that SupCom and UaW are being ported because of poor sales.

well, you're mad for no reason eh?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

For all those claiming Molyneux never lives up to anything, you may be about to be proved wrong. I just read IGN's Fable Preview and they seem quite impressed.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I'm no Wii Fanboy, but Molyneux is a douche. The Wii's development costs the same as PS3? He's a tool.

He's just mad cause fable didn't deliver, all it did is spew crap over my tv.

naznatips said:
That's fine, DFC may need to be taken with a grain of salt. They were just a quick source I grabbed. Still waiting on you to show that SupCom and UaW are being ported because of poor sales.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36845/Chris-Taylor-Piracy-Made-Us-Do-It

Chris Taylor: Piracy Made Us Do It

Robert "Apache" Howarth

Were you one of the weenies who pirated Supreme Commander? If so; people like you are forcing PC RTS developers to try their hands at making console games instead:

IGN: There are a lot of RTS games being brought over to the console this year. Do you ever see the RTS being as big on the console as it is now on the PC?

Chris Taylor: Well one of the key things that is really affecting the economics and the success of gaming in general is piracy on the PC. So one of the reasons we'll see RTSs on the console is because people can't pirate it. That's why we're going to see a lot more of everything on the console. When you look at the sales of really hardcore games like Crysis and you think, "Wow, those games should have sold a lot more," you realize that's probably due in large part to piracy. And you realize that a game like Crysis would have done its true numbers if it had launched on console first.

It's just a good business decision to have your game of any kind on a console where you can't pirate it. When you start to refine the control system and you start to take away the barrier of the control system and you start to make that a non-issue, just like we did with first-person shooters, and it becomes more about the game experience and less about the interface, you start to go to the platform where the economics of where the gaming base is.

I hadn't seen that quote, and it is interesting, but very false. Console piracy is much more common every generation. Especially now that consoles have hard drives where you can download the pirated copies directly to. I take it you aren't willing to bet me that SupCom will sell more on consoles than on PC though?

I'm actually a PC gamer so I'm not putting down PC games or anything, many of them are very good. I just think piracy is out of control on the PC, I know some people will say there has always been piracy but BitTorrent seems to have taken it to a whole new level.

As for betting on Supreme Commander, I don't think the 360 version will outsell the PC one. I think a game built from the ground up the system has a better chance (like Halo Wars). I also think if the successors to the 360 and PS3 have control scheme that rivals a keyboard/mouse then what happened with FPS on consoles will also happen with FPS (many made with the console in mind).

Legend11 said:
I'm actually a PC gamer so I'm not putting down PC games or anything, many of them are very good. I just think piracy is out of control on the PC, I know some people will say there has always been piracy but BitTorrent seems to have taken it to a whole new level.

As for betting on Supreme Commander, I don't think the 360 version will outsell the PC one. I think a game built from the ground up the system has a better chance (like Halo Wars). I also think if the successors to the 360 and PS3 have control scheme that rivals a keyboard/mouse then what happened with FPS on consoles will also happen with FPS (many made with the console in mind).

I agree, piracy is a problem.  Estimates place software piracy rate worldwide at around 33%.  Ironically, the lowest PC software piracy rate in the (developed) world is the US at 21%.  That's a lot of piracy, but it isn't killing the PC industry. 

There is already a control input that rivals Keyboard and Mouse for the FPS.  It's the Wiimote and Nunchuk, and it's far surpassed dual analog.  Nothing will ever surpass keyboard and mouse though because you simply can't cram that many buttons on a game controller, and the presence of the Wiimote as a truly next-gen FPS control input hasn't killed the PC FPS industry either.  PC gaming will never die, and it's never going to be killed by console gaming.  Not as long as it leads the industry curve for innovation.