By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ready At Dawn: The Order ‘A Huge Commercial Risk

Its Sony. The chance are good that this game will have a strong focus on story and character development and multiplayer will come second if the risk meets reward like Uncharted and the Last of Us. Sony is on fire with creating story based ips and I hope it continues because a game like this would be awesome.

Around the Network

Having no MP is a shooter is a pretty bad choice. If Sony wants anything close to Gears they'll need solid MP and Co-op modes as well.

Madword said:
Ucell said:
Madword said:
I know he uses the Last of Us as an example, but the whole setting/style and story of the Last of Us made it less of a risk imho, just because it was set in a reality/real world. I see the Order being more risky as its a fantasy story.. I think as long as its a good game it should be ok, but if its middling then it could struggle.

These are Ready At Dawn's previous games:

1. Daxter (PSP): Metascore 85, Sales over 3.6m

2. God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (PSP): Metascore 91 (highest of all time on PSP), Sales 3.2m (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

3. Okami (Wii port): Metascore 90

4. God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta (PSP): Metascore 86, Sales 1.2m (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

5. God Of War: Origins Collection (PS3): Metascore 84, Sales 700k (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

Ready At Dawn was formed in 2003 by former Naughty Dog employees.

Not sure what you are suggesting? Previous success does not gaurantee future success. You are only as good as your last success... thats how games, movies, music and everything else works :)

History gives an idea of whether a studio has the essential talent to make a good game, so it gives one confidence.

But the one thing missing from RaD's library is an original IP. So do they have the talent to create a world from scratch that is compelling and an engaging story that isn't already somewhat pre-baked, at least in theme?

As long as they get this game out well before any of the Sony big guns it wwill sell well, but it may not ane up profitable because making a new IP is expensive. But hopefully it will do well enough to justify a sequel, which should be cheaper to make and sell well enough to be a financial success. And of course it will have MP, just like Uncharted 2 did.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jlmurph2 said:
The only risk I see is that its a game with multiple heroes in the story yet no co-op at all. That's not smart

They wanted you to focus on playing a single character. It's a story driven game, and that wouldn't have worked if every time you played the game you would be playing a different character. You just wouldn't care what happens to them.

EB1994 said:
jlmurph2 said:
The only risk I see is that its a game with multiple heroes in the story yet no co-op at all. That's not smart

They wanted you to focus on playing a single character. It's a story driven game, and that wouldn't have worked if every time you played the game you would be playing a different character. You just wouldn't care what happens to them.

How is that holding them back from allowing Co-op play? Everyone will know who the main character is. If you ONLY focus on him then what's the point of having the others in the game? Building personalities for the other heroes is what makes a great story driven game. It wouldn't change if you add in co-op to play with friends.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
EB1994 said:
jlmurph2 said:

How is that holding them back from allowing Co-op play? Everyone will know who the main character is. If you ONLY focus on him then what's the point of having the others in the game? Building personalities for the other heroes is what makes a great story driven game. It wouldn't change if you add in co-op to play with friends.

How will everyone know who the main character is if you're constantly playing a different dude when you start up the game? 

EB1994 said:
jlmurph2 said:

How will everyone know who the main character is if you're constantly playing a different dude when you start up the game? 

I really don't see where you're going with this. Does the game NOT have cutscenes to help tell the story or something? Why would you be "constantly playing a different dude when you start up the game"? I see many people comparing this game to gears and I guess I can see why. So if that were to be true then playing co-op would be the same story

jlmurph2 said:
EB1994 said:
jlmurph2 said:

I really don't see where you're going with this. Does the game NOT have cutscenes to help tell the story or something? Why would you be "constantly playing a different dude when you start up the game"? I see many people comparing this game to gears and I guess I can see why. So if that were to be true then playing co-op would be the same story

Because if the game was four player co-op, what are the chances you get to pick the same character? Plus if they only focus on one character during the cutscenes, then if you weren't actually playing that character, you wouldn't really care about what happens to the one you are playing.

Anyways, it's a developer decision. They have played the game, you and I haven't. I'm sure it's not difficult for them to offer four player co-op, they just feel that the games story wasn't designed for it.

jlmurph2 said:
EB1994 said:
jlmurph2 said:

Simplest explanation is just that you don't have several characters with you at all times in the game, there'll probably be phases in the game where you'll have all 4 main characters around but also phases where there's only Gallahad or 2 guys or 3. They probably don't want to limit the possibilities of the story by having to make sure that you can play the campaign in Coop at all times.

DerNebel said:
jlmurph2 said:

Simplest explanation is just that you don't have several characters with you at all times in the game, there'll probably be phases in the game where you'll have all 4 main characters around but also phases where there's only Gallahad or 2 guys or 3. They probably don't want to limit the possibilities of the story by having to make sure that you can play the campaign in Coop at all times.

That's what I was thinking too. There might be sections where you split up from the group, or you lose track of one another. Who knows...Just have to play the game to find out. I just hope the friendly AI is good and I don't feel like they are holding me down.