Forums - Sony Discussion - Ready At Dawn: The Order ĎA Huge Commercial Risk

phantom0 said:
lol a dude bro shooter with typical cover shooter mechanic. SUCH RISK

Such unearned arrogance. If you don't think AAA new ips are risky, then I'd say you need to take a look at the dozens (over a 100 now?) studios that have closed since the start last generation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I know he uses the Last of Us as an example, but the whole setting/style and story of the Last of Us made it less of a risk imho, just because it was set in a reality/real world. I see the Order being more risky as its a fantasy story.. I think as long as its a good game it should be ok, but if its middling then it could struggle.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Ready At Dawn has always made great games that also usually push the hardware to its limits, and I expect nothing less from this. I'm sure it will sell well as its one of PS4's most hyped exclusives. Also its premise of Victorian-era London, werewolves and vampire infestation is very interesting and this game might be revolutionary.

phantom0 said:
lol a dude bro shooter with typical cover shooter mechanic. SUCH RISK

I think the atmostphere plus the lack of multiplayer which makes said dudebro shooters popular is the risky part.

Lol at these kids thinking making a AAA shooter guarantees you success. Not to mention the fact that this shooter has no multiplayer. ..it is a HUGE risk, especially releasing it on a console with such a low userbase

Around the Network

I thought this was a first party Sony owned studio and IP?
With that said, wouldn't Sony be the ones incurring risk, not the developer?

Undisputed Gamer BAY BAY 

99% of games are commercial risks.

Isn't anything these days a huge commercial risk for Sony?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Slade6alpha said:
I thought this was a first party Sony owned studio and IP?
With that said, wouldn't Sony be the ones incurring risk, not the developer?

It's not. Also I don't see how that would change anything, the article only says that the game's a financial risk.

Madword said:
I know he uses the Last of Us as an example, but the whole setting/style and story of the Last of Us made it less of a risk imho, just because it was set in a reality/real world. I see the Order being more risky as its a fantasy story.. I think as long as its a good game it should be ok, but if its middling then it could struggle.

These are Ready At Dawn's previous games:

1. Daxter (PSP): Metascore 85, Sales over 3.6m

2. God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (PSP): Metascore 91 (highest of all time on PSP), Sales 3.2m (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

3. Okami (Wii port): Metascore 90

4. God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta (PSP): Metascore 86, Sales 1.2m (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

5. God Of War: Origins Collection (PS3): Metascore 84, Sales 700k (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

Ready At Dawn was formed in 2003 by former Naughty Dog employees.