By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo ever used dedicated servers?

No but they always use 100% Dedicated Awesome =P

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Probably not and I doubt it... Although it does seem like their answer is to ban people with shit internet connection

Wait, really? o.O

Not really. If you drop out of games all the time you will be placed in matches with other people who drop out all the time. If it gets really bad there are temporary bans. It will affect people with crappy internet a little, but it's more to punish rage quitters.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

They don't even know what they are :S

VanceIX said:
Apparent Call of Duty Ghosts, of all games, has dedicated servers on the Wii U. Not a Nintendo title, but still.

No, the Wii U version has host migrations. But it's not the only system.

Yes, MK8, Smash4 and Wii Sports Club Tennis really should have dedicated servers, but I doubt it.

KylieDog said:

They released a wireless system that makes you pay more if you want to hook it up wired, which most people will not do. Why bother with dedicated servers when they failed out the gate doing that?

I found it rather funny they actually told people in the SSB direct they should use a wired ethernet adapter for SSB on WiiU in order to not lag...sucks for anyone on a 3DS I guess? I mean what was their message there?

A game like SSB is better done P2P than dedicated servers, assuming had a good connection.

And a weird thing is that I have a ping of ~29ms wireless on speedof.me and ~50ms with the LAN adapter...

But the LAN adapter on my PC only has ~2-3ms more than RJ45 (~25 vs. ~27/28)

Maybe speedof.me is messed up, but it's the only testing site that I found that shows the latency on Wii U.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

They released a wireless system that makes you pay more if you want to hook it up wired, which most people will not do. Why bother with dedicated servers when they failed out the gate doing that?

I found it rather funny they actually told people in the SSB direct they should use a wired ethernet adapter for SSB on WiiU in order to not lag...sucks for anyone on a 3DS I guess? I mean what was their message there?

A game like SSB is better done P2P than dedicated servers, assuming had a good connection.

I actually heard that, for some reason, wired on Wii U is actually SLOWER than going WiFi.  I'm no techno-guy so...yeah.  I'll Google your statement if you Google mine.  I guess people can use the $50-$60 they save from not subscribing to PSN/XBL to buy a USB adapter, though.

novasonic said:
Zekkyou said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Probably not and I doubt it... Although it does seem like their answer is to ban people with shit internet connection

Wait, really? o.O

Not really. If you drop out of games all the time you will be placed in matches with other people who drop out all the time. If it gets really bad there are temporary bans. It will affect people with crappy internet a little, but it's more to punish rage quitters.

I'm pretty sure that they announced that people who drop out of games (which could happen due to internet) in SSB4 would get bans?

episteme said:
VanceIX said:
Apparent Call of Duty Ghosts, of all games, has dedicated servers on the Wii U. Not a Nintendo title, but still.

No, the Wii U version has host migrations. But it's not the only system.

Yes, MK8, Smash4 and Wii Sports Club Tennis really should have dedicated servers, but I doubt it.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/10/cod-ghosts-dedicated-servers-wii-u/

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

What's this hoax about dedicated servers being the future of gaming, next gen or shit like that ?

It's been there for years and it's far from being always necessary.

About nintendo, they even have online now. The necessecity of dedicated server can't be confirmed before testing MK8 and SSB IMO

First time I'm hearing of dedicated servers. From the sound of it, Nintendo's never used them before, but most of their online games from my experience have ran fine. Brawl and Dark Moon being the exceptions of course!

They use it... for eshop downloads and system updates.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko