By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square win US patent for one-button RPG battle system because complex menus are intimidating to novices - invented by FFXV co-director

KylieDog said:
Are you allowed to patent something that has been done by many for years?

King patented the word candy on ios.

Anything is possible these days

Around the Network

Sounds pretty lame.

ParryWinkle said:
Kazus said:
Some of you aren't understanding. The battle system is a system where if you're close to an enemy, maybe the action will change automatically to attack but when you're close to an ally, it may change to cure or white magic.

You won't be choosing the action, only confirming it with one button.

That's it. SE is dead. 

In all seriousness, that's pretty dumb.

Hopefully it's just for a mobile game or eShop, PSN, etc. type game.

I am now scared of FF XV. I dont like turn based games, specially games made by SE. This is another horrific news.

BraLoD said:
Seems like Sony couldnt have a better time to sell its square shares.

Yup.

Around the Network

Square Enix's next patent is going to be a game that plays itself. You only press a button, any button, to skip to the next sections and save.

They better not put this shit in FF XV. If so then i'm not buying it.

I don't even understand that. FF games have always been 1 button, and a menu. FFXIII was 2 buttons (L1 to change class and X, with a pointless menu).

So what is this? How close you are to the target is what the character does? So you just move the character around and it does it for you? So... the only thing you'll need to the left analog stick or a finger...Touch game then.

Weird.

Hmm, pie.

This shouldn't be patentable. The prior art for one-button games is endless.