By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

TrueHD is a sound standard and has nothing to do with visual resolution.

Around the Network

^Correct, Dolby True HD is an official standard, but using "True HD" or "Full HD" to describe resolutions is just marketing/sales fluff.

Kyros said:
"he thing is most people will see a difference from SD to 720P or 1080i but not from 720P or 1080i to 1080P"

like all too simple answers this isn't true as well. Every PC gamer can tell you that there is a big difference between 1024*768 and 1600*1200 for example. It depends on the size of the screen and your distance to the screen if it helps a lot or not so much.
But it is true 720p is the more important step, 480 lines is simply terrible and everything is blurred.

So it isn't true yet at the end it is true? I am sure PC gamers can tell me alot of things... like it depends on the size of the screen and your distance to the screen if it helps alot or no so much etc.  Again I am sure there are some people that will see this difference and pay for it etc but for most they won't which I feel slows down HD adoption rate especially 1080P.  By the way I did put a disclaimer that this was mainly about movies and tv shows. 

elnino334 said:
MikeB said:
It's called FullHD over here. 720p is also a true HD resolution, 720p supporting TVs are called "HD Ready" over here.

That is interesting.  Is there emphasis on 1080P over there? 

Same labels here in Sweden (probably in the whole EU).

No emphasis on 1080p if you mean the proportion of sales of HD-sets that goes to 1080p versus 720p. 80-90% of TVs put on display in electronic stores are labeled HD-Ready (720p), so usually there are just a couple of Full-HD (1080p) TVs (same with advertising) and I think that is reflected in sales to customers.

epsilon72 said:
^Correct, Dolby True HD is an official standard, but using "True HD" or "Full HD" to describe resolutions is just marketing/sales fluff.

It's not marketing fluff -- it's just wrong.  I was recently watching a basketball game on TNT, and they had a short commercial for themselves where they advertised that they were broadcasting in TrueHD. I checked and they were only broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I was irritated that they claimed they were broadcasting in TrueHD when they were only broadcasting in 5.1 surround.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
elnino334 said:
MikeB said:
It's called FullHD over here. 720p is also a true HD resolution, 720p supporting TVs are called "HD Ready" over here.

No emphasis on 1080p if you mean the proportion of sales of HD-sets that goes to 1080p versus 720p. 80-90% of TVs put on display in electronic stores are labeled HD-Ready (720p), so usually there are just a couple of Full-HD (1080p) TVs (same with advertising) and I think that is reflected in sales to customers.

Not sales per day but more about marketing.  Every TV commercial here in the states that I seen only talks about 1080P. 

TheBigFatJ said:
epsilon72 said:

It's not marketing fluff -- it's just wrong.  I was recently watching a basketball game on TNT, and they had a short commercial for themselves where they advertised that they were broadcasting in TrueHD. I checked and they were only broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I was irritated that they claimed they were broadcasting in TrueHD when they were only broadcasting in 5.1 surround.

I am pretty sure they weren't talking about sound but rather HD resolution.  I hear it all the time when watching sports. 

TheBigFatJ said:
epsilon72 said:

It's not marketing fluff -- it's just wrong. I was recently watching a basketball game on TNT, and they had a short commercial for themselves where they advertised that they were broadcasting in TrueHD. I checked and they were only broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Hmm, I suppose it's possible in this case that they were broadcasting in TrueHD but that your cable/Sat. provider was not delivering it at that level.

elnino334 said:
Slimebeast said:
elnino334 said:
MikeB said:

Not sales per day but more about marketing.  Every TV commercial here in the states that I seen only talks about 1080P. 

No, not much emphasis on 1080p in marketing yet.

elnino334 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
epsilon72 said:

It's not marketing fluff -- it's just wrong. I was recently watching a basketball game on TNT, and they had a short commercial for themselves where they advertised that they were broadcasting in TrueHD. I checked and they were only broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I am pretty sure they weren't talking about sound but rather HD resolution. I hear it all the time when watching sports.

Yeah, they probably were not referring to the sound format that was being broadcasted - like I said, they were just using "TrueHD" as a buzzword to describe resolution. (and I can guarantee you that they weren't broadcasting in full 1920x1080 @60hz either...nobody does!)