By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 1080P True HD

This whole 1080P true HD push I think will turn off ALOT of buyers.  Quite frankly if you want 1080P then your spending more money then if you get something that does 720P 1080i which is what is shown on television.  The thing is most people will see a difference from SD to 720P or 1080i but not from 720P or 1080i to 1080P so it is quite frankly a waste.  That has really been my only pet peeve with the whole HD stuff.  I strongly believe 1080P for movies is quite frankly a waste similar to 5.1 audio to 7.1 audio and cd vs mp3's etc.  Yes I know it is better but there is a point where people won't care enough to pay the extra money for it.   By the way this is more to do with movies or television programming which is why it is on the off topic section. 

Around the Network

I wouldn't mind a 1080P projector as of right now I just have 720P. I project a 10' wide image so the extra resolution would be noticed.

Well that is the thing that always kills me. The number 1 excuse for 1080P is if you have this huge TV you will notice a difference which you might but is it worth the extra money? I am saying for most it won't make a difference which will slow down the adoption of HD or maybe just 1080P.

@ El Nino

It's all about cutting edge. You pay to play. Does it matter if you have a TV that can do 1440p? It's like iPods - they play music and videos - what else is there? A 1st gen iPod will play music just as good as a current gen one. It's all about how much you are willing to spend.

If you got the $ then buy it if not then don't. There is a difference and it is worth it if you got the $. I don't have the $ for an HDTV with a big screen so i don't have one.

Around the Network

1080p for low framerate movies is not necessary (vs. 1080i only), but 1080p for computing and higher framerate games (most of the time on PC) is much better than 720p/1080i.

It's called FullHD over here. 720p is also a true HD resolution, 720p supporting TVs are called "HD Ready" over here.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
It's called FullHD over here. 720p is also a true HD resolution, 720p supporting TVs are called "HD Ready" over here.

That is interesting.  Is there emphasis on 1080P over there? 

I enjoy it on my tv but mainly becasue I also use it a s a monitor. 1920 x 1080 native resolution versus 1330 x 768.

While there is very little difference for the average person I am glad the industry is taking it up so quickly. At first they too said there was no point, but there is. Simplicity.

The HD format was never standardized. It refers to all resoutions superior to 480P. Consumers get concerned when yo utell them theri tv has to downcovent something. 1080P is equal to or superior to all currently used movie, tv, and game formats. No matter what media people get a 1080P tv will never decrease the resolution of what you are watching. Once all HD tvs are 1080P then the debate is over. Media creators will produce whatever resolution works for them, and know people are watching it in 1080P.

As for cost the difference has gone from $1000 3 years ago with no selection to $500 2 years ago with moderate selction, now the cost is a few hundred dollars. In another couple of years only very small tvs(less that 24") wont be 1080P.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

"he thing is most people will see a difference from SD to 720P or 1080i but not from 720P or 1080i to 1080P"

like all too simple answers this isn't true as well. Every PC gamer can tell you that there is a big difference between 1024*768 and 1600*1200 for example. It depends on the size of the screen and your distance to the screen if it helps a lot or not so much.
But it is true 720p is the more important step, 480 lines is simply terrible and everything is blurred.