By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why won't publishers kickstart localizations?

Tagged games:

kupomogli said:

I know localizations don't cost that much.  There are plenty of people fluent in Japanese and English so why can't they just outsource to gain that extra little bit of income.  It's stupid of them to not release a game in a series and then later release the sequel and then bitch about how it didn't receive the numbers they're expecting.  If they released earlier titles in the franchise and built up their fanbase, then maybe they would be seeing more sales.   

I agree. They have no strategic vision. These are companies led by people who only care about the numbers at the end of the year, they dont care about building a long lasting and sucessful company. They literally live in the short term.

That is why the best way to get things localised is to literally make so much noise that they are forced to acknoledge and do something to shut it up.

Around the Network

This is actually a brilliant idea. But as others have mentioned before, it's not so much about the localisation not making them money, it's more to do with the localisation not making them ENOUGH money.

Unlike smaller indie devs who are happy to break even and make a little profit, the big companies only want to localise games that they think will make them big money.

I don't think Japanese pubs and devs care about the Western market. If they did they would've published more games on Xbox brand to widen their fan base. Tales of Vesperia sold pretty well in USA being X360 exclusive. it bombed in Japan but still.
No efforts are made to catalyze Western fans.

Because it's a business

Nem said:
kupomogli said:

I know localizations don't cost that much.  There are plenty of people fluent in Japanese and English so why can't they just outsource to gain that extra little bit of income.  It's stupid of them to not release a game in a series and then later release the sequel and then bitch about how it didn't receive the numbers they're expecting.  If they released earlier titles in the franchise and built up their fanbase, then maybe they would be seeing more sales.   

I agree. They have no strategic vision. These are companies led by people who only care about the numbers at the end of the year, they dont care about building a long lasting and sucessful company. They literally live in the short term.

That is why the best way to get things localised is to literally make so much noise that they are forced to acknoledge and do something to shut it up.

Yup. Localizing games is an excellent long-term tactic, as it builds up your user-base. With digital downloads, you can cut out any costs associated with shipping and manufacturing and just spend a relatively paltry amount on translations. Keep the Japanese voices if you want to, not too many people mind. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC