By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 games and the lack of 1080p

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/xbox360-1080p-games/

Some info on 360 games and res.

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

Around the Network

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/ps3-1080p-games/

For PS3.

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

@ Entroper

Texture streaming has been around ever since graphics cards had their own memory. It's simply a programming technique that can be applied to any hardware that has multiple levels of storage with their own size/speed tradeoffs.

PCs for the most part had large enough harddrives and up until now no console had one really large enough by default to be of much use, thus this approach was of less use for console in the past. (a harddrive was however already optional with the Amiga CD32, no games other than installed desktop [/home computer model] Amiga games used it though)

With regard to 360 vs PS3, the PS3's default harddrive is an advantage as well as the huge space and constant streaming speed provided by Blu-Ray technology.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Show me 1 game on the 360 that runs in 1080p at a decent framerate,

On a side note, just because the games are programmed at 720p doesn't mean they won't look good on a 1080p screen, and then there are Blu-ray movies that are 1080p, so I would still get a 1080p screen for movie use and future games, I believe GT5 will be 1080p.

shams said:
Wasn't the PS3 going to run two monitors, full 1080p - at 100fps locked? What happened to that?

Note that this *was* originally promised by Kaz, when the PS3 was first announced. And now it doesn't even have true 1080p games - and even fewer that run 1080p at 60fps (locked).

My cousin and I always laugh when thinking back about these things. 

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
Show me 1 game on the 360 that runs in 1080p at a decent framerate,

On a side note, just because the games are programmed at 720p doesn't mean they won't look good on a 1080p screen, and then there are Blu-ray movies that are 1080p, so I would still get a 1080p screen for movie use and future games, I believe GT5 will be 1080p.

The 360 is powerful enough to handle 1080p graphics, but only for simple games with small predictable enviroments (like for instance sports games). A FPS or fast racer like Gran Turismo 5 is far out of reach mainly due to bandwidth issues, tiling related)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

first off only about 3 games on 360 are true 1080p. Microsoft upscales..... games on the ps3 (ninja gaiden, Lair, Virtua Tennis, Ridge Racer, NBA07 and 08 etc) are TRUE 1080p. There is no way to do 1080p correctly on a DVD9 is just to hard.

Most xbox games are 640p (halo 3, Call of duty 4etc) not even 720p like the STANDARD for ps3 games. Sony puts the res on the box that it is native in.. microsoft outs 480p-1080p on ALL boxes because it upscales and does not look the same but still good......

For the most part, the difference between a PS2/XBox/Gamecube game and a PS3/XBox 360 game (in terms of graphics) is the advanced shader effects. In order to support the exact same shader effects at 1080p rather than 1080i/720p you need (roughly) twice the processing power in your shader hardware on your GPU.

Realistically, the PS3 and XBox 360 can not support 1080p at 60fps without a noticeable downgrade in the quality of effects which are being used; being that many of the best looking games on either platform are 720p at 30fps, by moving to 1080p at 60fps the games would probably have been reduced to similar effects as the Wii currently produces (on 480p at 30fps).

So basically, in line with their usual behaviour, MS puts lies and misinformation on its game boxes, while Sony puts the truth (color me surprised).
The worst is that people that think they are knowledgeable believe these lies, and the same people end up saying no PS3 game is 1080p.
Life as usual.

HappySqurriel said:

For the most part, the difference between a PS2/XBox/Gamecube game and a PS3/XBox 360 game (in terms of graphics) is the advanced shader effects. In order to support the exact same shader effects at 1080p rather than 1080i/720p you need (roughly) twice the processing power in your shader hardware on your GPU.

Realistically, the PS3 and XBox 360 can not support 1080p at 60fps without a noticeable downgrade in the quality of effects which are being used; being that many of the best looking games on either platform are 720p at 30fps, by moving to 1080p at 60fps the games would probably have been reduced to similar effects as the Wii currently produces (on 480p at 30fps).

Yes with regard to the 360, but the PS3 is different due to its Cell processor. The Cell is very suitable for adding all kinds of effects, taking workload off the GPU and can even be used as additional pixel shaders.

The 360's ideal rendering resolution is 600p with AA as this perfectly fits the EDRAM memory (highest FPS output for complex games). If you want to do HDR, AA usually needs to be dropped to achieve good framerates due to tiling.

The PS3 Cell/RSX approach is very different. The RSX is able to handle more shader ops per second than the Xenos, 96 (Xenos) vs 136 shader (RSX) ops per clock. In addition the Cell can do a lot of other stuff previously workload performed by graphic chips (freeing up workload for the GPU to do other stuff).

Some perspectives by a Heavenly Sword coder (Heavenly Sword is a 1st generation PS3 title which uses (NAO32) HDR, 8xAF and 4x MSAA at 720p):

http://pixelstoomany.wordpress.com/2007/09/13/why-gpus-are-not-so-good-at-post-processing-images/

Some additional comments from the devs behind Motorstorm:

"If by cooperative rendering you're referring to SPUs supporting the RSX, I strongly believe that this approach will become far more widespread. In addition to reducing the vertex load on the RSX through the use of culling and vertex pre-processing, this approach also provides an efficient mechanism to introduce procedural geometry.

Historically, CPUs have provided course grain scene culling using view frustums, occlusion planes, portal visibility and BSP-trees with GPUs left to perform fine grain rejection using guard band clipping, occlusion and backface culling. While such features improve fragment performance, they don't reduce vertex processing overhead.

The leap in performance provided by Cell gives us the bandwidth to significantly reduce RSX time spent processing vertices that don't contribute to the final scene. The favoured approach is to use SPUs to generate minimal scene/instance specific index and vertex buffers from compressed data."

PS3 vs 360 sales