By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 games and the lack of 1080p

Entroper said:
MikeB said:
@ Entroper

There is always an advantage to unified shaders.

Unified shaders is an advantage, but not an advantage over the PS3. If you have 50 people who can either be a doctor or a dentist, does not mean there's advantage over having 100 people, 50 of them only being able to be a doctor and 50 people only able to be a dentist. You get more work done in the latter case. The RSX/Cell vs Xenos/Xenon is like such a situation.

Except it isn't 50+50 vs. 50, it's 48+8 vs. 48. :P And I never claimed Xenos was faster! I claimed the difference is less than the specs would indicate at face value.

I'm interested in seeing how MikeB contorts himself out of this one...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

WOW, quite a response!!

I'm surprised by the lack of true full HD games as that is what I had expected from the PS3, 360. Especially the PS3 which has always boasted its power/capabilities!!

I'm also surprised by the amount of games that are actually upscaled to 1080p from 720 and sometimes even lower resolutions!!!

Anyway my mate is still unsure about what to get TV wise even if he is still set on a PS3.

Soriku said:
shams said:
Wasn't the PS3 going to run two monitors, full 1080p - at 100fps locked? What happened to that?

Note that this *was* originally promised by Kaz, when the PS3 was first announced. And now it doesn't even have true 1080p games - and even fewer that run 1080p at 60fps (locked).

Kaz promised 120 FPS IIRC. Why they would do 120 FPS I don't know because LCDs and HDTVs can only render 70 FPS MAX so having more than 70 FPS is a waste of time and effort.

Actually, the latest LCD HDTVs have 120hz refresh rates, so they can display 120fps. :P

And I thought it was Krazy Ken that was trumpeting the 120fps stuff?

From the devs of Tomb Raider Underground I mean Underworld...

Originally Posted by Leedogg

CPI, what are the chances of Tomb Raider: Underworld being a 1080p PS3 game?

Just to be open to the possibility, I'd say something like 1 in a trillion at best. The kinds of texture complexity we're pushing when you scale it up to 1080p, are way beyond what RSX will ever be able to handle, just in terms of theoretical specs.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the geometric complexity is already a problem. I'd have to say that there's little question that 1080p is something for which no console this generation is remotely suitable. Yes, it's achievable, but that doesn't mean the hardware is suited to the task.

Think of 1080p like cake. Yes, cake does indeed exist, and you've surely eaten it at some point in your life, but the safer assumption is that the cake is a lie.

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
makingmusic476 said:

Actually, the latest LCD HDTVs have 120hz refresh rates, so they can display 120fps. :P

And I thought it was Krazy Ken that was trumpeting the 120fps stuff?

Actually, no, they don't have 120 Hz refresh rates, or at least they can't display 120 fps. They can't even display 30 fps correctly, so no. These TV are 120 Hz in marketing only, and replace the moving image with sth even worse than usual, totally destroying the original. There's a reason more expensive LCD TV don't have this 120 Hz thing, yet have a better image and a better refresh rate.

Around the Network

Uncharted and Ratchet both do 1080p. All you have to do is go to display settings on the PS3 and uncheck every other resolution except 1080p. For some reason, Sony has it set for 720p to be the default resolution, even if a game runs a native 1080p and 720p.

zeitgeistmovie.com

PS3 Trophies

Why are they few games in 1080p on PS3?

WHY God of War 2 OWNS most PS2 games in graphics? =)

Simple, it`s needed MORE time for NEW technology to achieve 1080p. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

FOOD said:
Uncharted and Ratchet both do 1080p. All you have to do is go to display settings on the PS3 and uncheck every other resolution except 1080p. For some reason, Sony has it set for 720p to be the default resolution, even if a game runs a native 1080p and 720p.

Both of those games are upscaled. You're simply playing the 720p versions upscaled. There is no new content. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

CrazzyMan said:

Tell that to PC gamers.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
CrazzyMan said:

Tell that to PC gamers.

Well the problem is the PS3 is not a pc, therefore you cant just port it over to the ps3. Different architecture which you have to figure out before achieving anything.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M