By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if Wii was always available

What would happen if the Wii was available at all times? Not sold out at all.Had an infinite supply. How many Wii's could Nintendo sell and by the end of '08 what would be it's total sales?

Would the hype be gone and therefore not as many Wii's would of sold? Would they be around 30m or as high as 40m? I'm interested in various views, not just from Nintendo fans but Sony fans and MS fans as well. But lets not start any flame wars here.

Also if the above was true how would it have affected the two other consoles. Would they have lower sales or if the Wii's sales were lower(as discussed before) how many of the PS3 and X360 would have sold.

I'm pretty sure there would have been a forum about this before but after searching through them I couldn't find any so if there has can you provide a link to it.

Around the Network

i'd say like 50-75 million a year for atleast 15 years.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

just a guess : i feel easy available means less hype and less sales, that would not be an optimum

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I get the feeling that if it was readily available the Wii would have "only" sold 15m by now. But it's the same with anything. The harder it is to buy increases the wow factor and therefore more people want it.

The lack of availability is increasing sales. At least not as much as it's obviously decreasing sales... It might be increasing it's legs and the life of the console, but not total sales.

It could of sole 30mil in America alone by end of 07... and 50mil by end of 08.

Other areas only slightly more than they did. Maybe an extra 10 mil total more for Japan + others.

Around the Network

It would have sold about double its current amount, so 40 million in 1 yearish.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I would have sold alot more

I am shocked that anyone would think it would have sold LESS than it has to date, there is still massive demand pent up and I seriously doubt it is ALL due to perceived popularity rather than actual desire.

25m BARE minimum, 35m most probably, 40-45m possibly, 50m tops.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

kirby007 said:
just a guess : i feel easy available means less hype and less sales, that would not be an optimum
But you ignore the fact that "OMG Wii shortage" news items would be replaced by "HOLY SHIT look at Wii sales!" news items. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Suggesting it would sell less means you can only believe the Wii is selling well due to the lack of supply. And if this was the case, there'd be a lack of supply for all consoles, since the others could use increased sales too.

That's a very silly viewpoint.

It's hard to say how well the Wii would do -- it's a self advertising system. You hear countless stories about how people take their Wii to a family gathering and 5 more people want to buy the Wii. Because this is the case, every Wii sold is more potential advertising. The kind of advertising you can't do on a TV.

The Wii would be doing much better than now, that's the only thing we can say for certain.