By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Reviews by The Walrus: Trine

Tagged games:

Dulfite said:

Ah but I would add that what is truth in reviews for games is different depending on the person. For someone like me, the truth is that new super marios bros story is horrible and that greatly impacts the quality of the game. For the truth of others, maybe they just don't really care about the story. Regardless of the majority, I'm writing my reviews for the minority of gamers that love story in games more than anything else in games.

I really admire you for sticking to your guns, Dulfite. I agree with you that reviewers should articulate their own standards and priorities in their reviews, and not worry about what the majority thinks and expects. As I've said before, the purpose of critics is to inform public opinion, not reflect it.

That being said, I also agree with those who've complained about your rating system. It's going to be hard for you to gain a following when you admit in your review that Trine is not as fun as Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Bros. U, yet it outscores those games by  12 and 14 points, respectively.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Dulfite said:

Ah but I would add that what is truth in reviews for games is different depending on the person. For someone like me, the truth is that new super marios bros story is horrible and that greatly impacts the quality of the game. For the truth of others, maybe they just don't really care about the story. Regardless of the majority, I'm writing my reviews for the minority of gamers that love story in games more than anything else in games.

I really admire you for sticking to your guns, Dulfite. I agree with you that reviewers should articulate their own standards and priorities in their reviews, and not worry about what the majority thinks and expects. As I've said before, the purpose of critics is to inform public opinion, not reflect it.

That being said, I also agree with those who've complained about your rating system. It's going to be hard for you to gain a following when you admit in your review that Trine is not as fun as Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Bros. U, yet it outscores those games by  12 and 14 points, respectively.

I know it will, and that's fine. As long as one person enjoys my reviews it's worth it. I've said it before and I'll say it again; just because a game is fun doesn't make it art (just like drawing with crayons is fun but that doesn't make it comparable to a painting). And if people don't get that, it's ok :)

Dulfite said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I know it will, and that's fine. As long as one person enjoys my reviews it's worth it. I've said it before and I'll say it again; just because a game is fun doesn't make it art (just like drawing with crayons is fun but that doesn't make it comparable to a painting). And if people don't get that, it's ok :)

@bold: I think that's a great philosophy. Good luck with your future reviews