By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Reggie: Wii Will Outsell Xbox 360 in US by June

This is Nintendo, not Sony, not Microsoft. Those two have long histories of grandstanding on unrealized accomplishments, but that's not been Nintendo's style, at least not in my memory. Sure, they'll crow over what they HAVE done, but they've been very reluctant to boast about what could be. If Reggie says this, then Nintendo has good reason to believe it to be so. Thus it's safe to assume that they will be upping production considerably. They only question is if they've factored in a possible 360 price cut.

Around the Network

I can't wait for it to pass the 360 in the Americas. I wonder how many Wiis will be produced in April.

misterd said:
This is Nintendo, not Sony, not Microsoft. Those two have long histories of grandstanding on unrealized accomplishments, but that's not been Nintendo's style, at least not in my memory. Sure, they'll crow over what they HAVE done, but they've been very reluctant to boast about what could be. If Reggie says this, then Nintendo has good reason to believe it to be so. Thus it's safe to assume that they will be upping production considerably. They only question is if they've factored in a possible 360 price cut.

I had been thinking the same thing. I think you hit the nail on the head, I have faith that if nintendo says they will do something, it will happen.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Kasz216 said:
Sqrl said:

Wow those are some bold words....bold because there isn't much to gain should he prove right and quite a bit to lose should he prove wrong.

I wonder if MS will attempt to mount a defense or play it smart and play their own game. I hope they play their own game...partly because I look forward to the Wii passing the 360 in NA but also because it really is their best move to make their decisions according to whats best for them...and quite simply it doesn't matter if the Wii passes the 360 as far as MS is concerned.

Yeah. Seems like a bad PR move to a bit of hubris. Bad show really, even if they do accomplish it.

If I was MS I wouldn't say a thing... then if it fails rag on him in the press.

Of course, it depends on how close N. gets.  A MS press release that says: "HA!  Nintendo said that they would surpass us in June and did they, NO!   They are 100k short since they only outsold us by 1.5M in 4 months, rather than 1.6M."

Only the Sony PR folks would see nothing wrong with that statement. 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Entroper said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Reggie knows something we don't.

Yes, he knows how much they expect to ship to America through June. Since he's in charge of that. :)

Well?  We have data up through May 10.  Wii is behind by roughly 520,000 units.  Does anyone think Nintendo can't make that up by the end of June?  If we're talking fiscal months, then "June" ends on July 5, which would leave 8 more weeks of data.  But even only going to June 28, I think it'll still happen.  In fact, I'm going to bet it will happen in 5 weeks, which would be the week ending June 14.

Predictions? 

Around the Network

According to NPD it is 500k units behind after having sold more than 500,000 units a month 2 months in a row. It will happen before June!

azrm2k said:
According to NPD it is 500k units behind after having sold more than 500,000 units a month 2 months in a row. It will happen before June!

The 360 is still selling units, too.  The Wii would have to sell whatever the 360 is selling, plus 500,000 to do it by the end of May.

Wii fit should push 400-500k units that week, and all other weeks should at least match the X360. If the numbers are adjusted to NPD, then the will will definitely catch it within 1 months time (by June 7th numbers).

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

If my earlier calculations are correct, the Wii is on aim to make it. 8 Weeks and 520K is about 65K/Week, which is about 10K/week less than in Feb. Looks like it has a change!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

In the light of few recent NPDs Reggie was conservative with his statement.
Wii could surpass 360 in USA in May ...

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.