By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - modern gaming and how we've grown to emphasize the bad

I had a long post prepared but decided to keep it short for once.

I'll just put out the question: 

With the passing of the years, the advancements in technology (“real” graphics, online, etc), the expansion (growth) and (enforced) segregation of the gaming demographic (casual vs. hardcore), have we (we being the general consumer market) forgotten how to shut up and have fun?

Around the Network

If you have fun playing a game then you must be doing something wrong, no games are fun, deal with it.

I agree. But this is where Wii comes in...you have fun for 30 minutes and then go back to your hardcore gaming on the 360.

There's been a system war for years. It's the people that own multiple systems that are less affected but not always. In our place I have a 360 and a Wii and my roommate has a PS3. There is also a gamecube, PS2, DS and PSP in the house. Plus we all have computers. Man I feel like a geek. Must...hit...gym...

Its always been about the fun. Absolutely nothing else matters in a game if your not having fun.

Super mario Galaxy is a good example of how polished gameplay and some good old imagination can crap all over the most bleeding edge technological benchmarks.

Around the Network

I hate video games. I always have.

But, I'm a masochist. I like to hurt myself. That's why, 25 years later, Im still playing the blasted things on a daily basis.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

disolitude said:
I agree. But this is where Wii comes in...you have fun for 30 minutes and then go back to your hardcore gaming on the 360.

It's all about the human emotion of jealousy. When we assign numerical values to consoles, it's like rating them. When your losing, you have a tendancy to want to find fault and misinterruperatation in the winner.

That's why so many people hate the Wii. The Wii is a multiplat hate machine.  Jealousy. You might not realize your jealous, but every time you talk about a system you dislike for no other reason than to talk negatively about it, especially with no goading, and it makes you feel good, your fighting that jealousy.

The Wii has what you want amongst all else. The top spot.

When your jealous, you no longer care about your own opinion. You no longer care about "having fun with games" you only want your system to be regcognized as number one and other systems to be spat upon.

You attempt to justify this with Wii Bingo broad generalizations that are meant to hurt and seem like they came from the mind of a 2 year old, because 2 year old minds, hurt the most. You try to "trick" imaginary people into not buying the Wii when you post on the forums, especially undecided idiots or kids who post "which system should I buy." There is no one dumber than an undecided poster, except someone who has to come on a message board to ask which system to buy, in lue of their own research and knowledge.

Of course, like the PS2, eventually, most people will have a Wii, and when you've got such a huge fanbase, there will be detractors(most nintendo fanboy sony haters, still secretly had a PS2 last gen).

They will never come to the stark realization that nothing they do can change the least little thing, and most Wii owners, and especially Nintendo itself, is far above petty, pointless insults.

That's why.

/thread 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

In 2 more years, when the Wii is far and away the console hardware leader, there will be less hatred, and it will be much more of a niche than the norm.

That is a major advantage of having a single market leader. Every asshole with a keyboard can't start making broad generalizations without you owning them with unavoidable facts.

We just don't have enough facts in this new time of consoles, to own the tards.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

disolitude said:

Then your 360 stops working after 10 minutes, and you send it away, for a "new" one, only to repeat the cycle.

I agree with you. In this generation especially, I've seen more people ridicule games not based on the content of the game, but primarily on what the game displays in (1080p/720p/etc) and what it runs a (60fps/30fps). Is this something that gamers should be concerned with? This is an arguement that I think only dev's need to make, in order to promote themselves, while at the same time shovelling dirt on other dev's. What real difference does it make to a gamer? Does the content of the game somehow magically change? Does it make a high quality game a low quality game, if it's at 720p instead of 1080p?  Does a lackluster game somehow become great going backwards? Does your enjoyment of it decrease exponentially with this drop?

I remember 360 fans ridiculing ps3 fans when Madden 08 (or 07, not sure) ran at 30fps instead of 60fps, like the 360 version. Are they being serious? The game is still the same game that came out in 06, in 05, in 04, etc. I would imagine if you're a fan of madden, you would enjoy it at either fps. There's no need to talk about visuals, as if somehow it is more important than the fun factor. Fun is the reason I game.......isn't that why you do too?

Fun is for weaklings!

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad