By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC help, please!

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

No worries, The lesson here is... Acer motherboards are lame!

PS: If I were to bet, I would say its the EFI thing! Try playing with the priority cause idk, that might work.

Lol as I was about to pack up the video card I found this:

Important Notice essentially stating that the 700 series works with most motherboards but in rare cases it's recommended to update my mobo bios to the latest version.

Ill give this a quick go, I know you helped me a lot but can you get me pointed in the right direction as to how I do this and how I get all the exact information so I can update it?

At this point it seems risky and I think you said in a post I may fuck up my entire computer.

Around the Network
Cj2i3 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

No worries, The lesson here is... Acer motherboards are lame!

PS: If I were to bet, I would say its the EFI thing! Try playing with the priority cause idk, that might work.

Lol as I was about to pack up the video card I found this:

Important Notice essentially stating that the 700 series works with most motherboards but in rare cases it's recommended to update my mobo bios to the latest version.

Ill give this a quick go, I know you helped me a lot but can you get me pointed in the right direction as to how I do this and how I get all the exact information so I can update it?

At this point it seems risky and I think you said in a post I may fuck up my entire computer.

K well I can certainly help you point to the right direction, basically just go here:

http://ca.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads

And then search your computer's model number which is DX4870 I believe and then you click on the model number and then Bios once it finds it. After that, download the update and extract it, then u run the GUI application as admin in the folder under WIN and then u put the ROM in there thats in the ROM folder and then click the Flash Button

But I HIGHLY recommend not doing this unless you are sure that its the right model number, BIOS and everything! If anything goes wrong, your computer will literily be a BRICK without anyway to recover!!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Updating a BIOS rarely fixes compatibility issues between the motherboard and graphics card, this ain't the socket 370 days anymore. :P

As for updating the BIOS, most after market motherboards have automatic BIOS recovery options that would restore it in the event of a failure, but this being an OEM machine, you don't have such a luxury.

The graphics card should literally be plug-and play, no bios changes needed as you already had a PCI-E graphics card in the system as your primary display output.

Also a beeping graphics card? You sure it's not the motherboard? Graphics cards generally don't have a speaker to beep with, thus if the motherboard is beeping it could be a multitude of reasons like: Ram not seated correctly, unable to detect graphics card, power cable not plugged in properly etc'. - Which if that's the case, regardless of your BIOS revision, won't solve that issue.

Power wise, you're fine.
The reason why AMD and nVidia list those PSU requirements is simple, it's to account for dozens of drives, power hungry CPU's, variability in PSU's output power ratings etc'. I.E. - Worse case scenario, it has no bearing if you actually need a 400w PSU or not.

Keep in mind that when installing different brands of graphics cards like AMD or nVidia, it is always wise to uninstall the drivers first before changing over to a different brand of card, driver sweeper is your friend in this regard, it can save a ton of headaches.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Updating a BIOS rarely fixes compatibility issues between the motherboard and graphics card, this ain't the socket 370 days anymore. :P

As for updating the BIOS, most after market motherboards have automatic BIOS recovery options that would restore it in the event of a failure, but this being an OEM machine, you don't have such a luxury.

The graphics card should literally be plug-and play, no bios changes needed as you already had a PCI-E graphics card in the system as your primary display output.

Also a beeping graphics card? You sure it's not the motherboard? Graphics cards generally don't have a speaker to beep with, thus if the motherboard is beeping it could be a multitude of reasons like: Ram not seated correctly, unable to detect graphics card, power cable not plugged in properly etc'. - Which if that's the case, regardless of your BIOS revision, won't solve that issue.

Power wise, you're fine.
The reason why AMD and nVidia list those PSU requirements is simple, it's to account for dozens of drives, power hungry CPU's, variability in PSU's output power ratings etc'. I.E. - Worse case scenario, it has no bearing if you actually need a 400w PSU or not.

Keep in mind that when installing different brands of graphics cards like AMD or nVidia, it is always wise to uninstall the drivers first before changing over to a different brand of card, driver sweeper is your friend in this regard, it can save a ton of headaches.

Yeah probably not the graphics card beeping than my mistake. I uninstalled the drivers for AMD unless it's possible there was something left behind, I figured this was going to be a plug and play type thing and I mean at this point the only thing is the bios or left over driver issues. 

it is invariably going to be a power issue if its not the bios.
i get what others are saying, "400w is enough" etc.
but that does not account for the amperage per rail, or the stability/cleanness of that voltage.
Are you using pcie connects from the power unit to the gpu? if youre using the 2x molex to pcie adapters, then you may want to switch the 12v rail to another if it has another, ideally in that situation you would connect one of each molex to seperate 12v rails to balance the load, if youre connecting two of the same molex pins from a single cable then youre going to run in to problems on the cheap psus those systems ship with.

If its the bios and youre running the Gateway DX4380, then you need to download this.

[EDIT] FOR DX4870 SYSTEMS!

Note: Download either the Windows 8 UEFI bios or the standard bios, depending on what your computer came with, if it had windows 8 installed from new, download the windows 8 bios, if it was windows 7 or older, download the windows 7 or earlier bios file.

Windows 7 or earlier BIOS FILE : http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Gateway_P01.A2_A_A.zip?acerid=635040993388166881&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=DX%20SERIES&Step3=DX4870&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

Windows 8 BIOS FILE : http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Gateway_P11.B1_A_A.zip?acerid=635321007306718972&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=DX%20SERIES&Step3=DX4870&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

AMI ROM Tool : http://www.ami.com/Support/downloadagreement.cfm?DLFile=support/downloads/amiflash.zip&InpDrvID=90

Remove the new graphics card and boot into windows, extract the AMI ROM Tool called "afuwin64.zip" from the zip directory  amiflashAptioafuwin64 then extract the folder AfuWin64 from this zip and run AFUWINGUI.EXE

In the software, click "Save" and save the current bios somewhere to your computer, just incase you need to restore it to the current bios in the future.

Click "Open" and select the .cap bios file in the bios you downloaded (in the ROM folder), once done click "Flash" and let it update and reboot to windows again, shut down as normal then install your new card.

HOPEFULLY, you should be good to go.

Around the Network

This guys having my same problem: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/53605-Update-Gateway-BIOS-to-run-EVGA-GTX-750-TI-SC-PROBLEMS
So guess it just has to do with the ACER BIOS. So the bright side is the money I used to purchase the card was from selling Xbox 360 games.
I guess I can attempt to try and return the card I mean I opened the package and used the EVGA sticker I got with it otherwise it's new.

I'll just take this as a sign that I'm not supposed to play video games any longer.
Again thanks for all the help, I truly appreciate it and that's why I love Vgchartz because of the helpful community.

lucidium said:

it is invariably going to be a power issue if its not the bios.
i get what others are saying, "400w is enough" etc.
but that does not account for the amperage per rail, or the stability/cleanness of that voltage.
Are you using pcie connects from the power unit to the gpu? if youre using the 2x molex to pcie adapters, then you may want to switch the 12v rail to another if it has another, ideally in that situation you would connect one of each molex to seperate 12v rails to balance the load, if youre connecting two of the same molex pins from a single cable then youre going to run in to problems on the cheap psus those systems ship with.

If its the bios and youre running the Gateway DX4380, then you need to download this.

BIOS FILE : http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Gateway_P12.A2_A_A.zip?acerid=635148989209197806&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=DX%20SERIES&Step3=DX4380&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

AMI ROM Tool : http://www.ami.com/Support/downloadagreement.cfm?DLFile=support/downloads/amiflash.zip&InpDrvID=90

Remove the new graphics card and boot into windows, extract the AMI ROM Tool from the folder amiflashWINAMIBIOSAFUWin either 32 or 64 depending on if youre running 32bit windows or 64bit,run the .exe in the folder you choose.

In the software, click "Save" and save the current bios somewhere to your computer, just incase, then click "Open" and select the .cap bios file in the bios you downloaded (in the ROM folder), once done click "Flash" and let it update and reboot to windows again, shut down as normal then install your new card.

HOPEFULLY, you should be good to go.

I'm running the DX4870 could you link me for that, I just posted that because the guy had the same situation as me just with a different model.
EDIT I found the 4870

Cj2i3 said:

I'm running the DX4870 could you link me for that, I just posted that because the guy had the same situation as me just with a different model.

Yeah, download this bios file.

http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Gateway_P01.A2_A_A.zip?acerid=635040993388166881&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=DX%20SERIES&Step3=DX4870&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

then follow the guide i posted (edited with clearer info for flashing from windows safely for your exact system)

sooo did you get it going?

Yeah, you gave me really good instructions and everything and I tried watching some videos on how to do it. I just don't feel comfortable doing it, quite saddened was really looking to using the 750. I guess I'll just invest in a more traditional gaming PC.
I must say though, in the month I've been gaming on PC I have really really enjoyed it(hence upgrading to the 750).
Thanks for your help Lucidium, sorry it was in vein.