Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your top 5 games of all time

Tagged games:

5. TESV: Skyrim
4. Final Fantasy 7
3. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
2. World of Warcraft
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Around the Network

1 = Gran Turismo Series (Every title has been stellar)

2 = DOOM/Half-Life (I can’t decide, they both were 100% amazing for their era and must have games)

3 = Final Fantasy Series (4 snes if I have to be specific...Honorable mentions Game Arts Lunar Sega CD and Grandia II DC/PC)

4 = Oblivion (Honorable mention RDR or LoZ series)

5 = Super Mario Galaxy (My personal favorite is SMG even though 2 on the nes, 3 on the nes and SMW snes were amazing at their times though... and the 2D Wii/Wii U games are faithful, but they’re just not fresh enough for me to grab any of my attention) Honorable mentions would also be 2D Castlevania series tied with 2D Metroid series. I love both of those series, but only in 2D. MTP-Out!! and the Wii remake are pure classics as well imho. These games are really all tied for me they have great gameplay mechanics.

1) Diablo 1
2) Diablo 2
3) The Last of us
4) Nightmare creatures PS1
5) Diablo 3

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

In no particular order:

Megaman X

Super Metroid

Metal Gear Solid 3

Goldeneye (on N64)

Chrono Cross

I think my lists changes each time that I make a list like this. :P

This time I will list five games that I play very often, at least one time per year.

CONSOLE
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda: Minish Cap
Uncharted-series
Shadow of the Colossus

PC
Day of the Tentacle (why can't they make a sequel, prequel or at least a remake? :'( )
Amnesia-series
Penumbra-series
Europa Universalis (latest release)
Metro 2033-series

Around the Network

In no particular order.

Battlefield 1943
Ragnarok Online
Ace Combat Zero
Silent Hill

And... that's about it for me.

Clyde32 said:

All of your points are based on opinion. 

A bit like yours then?

lucidium said:
Clyde32 said:

All of your points are based on opinion. 

A bit like yours then?

Exactly like mine. 

Just some things to consider:

First of all, A lot of my entries are combined groups or franchises as a whole. for example, I felt that Portal and Portal 2 were equally brilliant, so I put "portal franchise" as an entry because they're so close in quality that I Can't decide which one I like better and it allows me to put more on my list.

Same goes for stuff like "Assassin's Creed" and "Rock Band." I like both of those franchises as an overall experience, collectively. I may not be as fond of the original or Revelations, but the over-arching story of Assassin's Creed makes it feel like one cohesive unit to me. Similar deal with Rock Band. Since all the DLC is cross compatible and it ended up being one cohesive experience, I named it as a single entry.

Ratchet & Clank is slightly different. The first one is okay, Deadlocked is forgettable, and the recent entries (everything after Crack in Time) was disappointing, but I still love the gameplay, characters, and aesthetic. Plus, Going Commando, Up your Arsenal, Tools of Destruction, and Crack in Time are all so good that it elevates the franchise.

Mega Man X Collection is a similar issue. 1-4 are all absolutely amazing, but 5 and 6 are pretty bad. Since I can buy the collection in one spot, I just put the collection. Same thing with Super Mario All-Stars + Super Marioworld. I have an SNES cartridge with the two mario games I couldn't decide between as the superior (Mario World and MArio Bros 3), so I put the whole collection on there.

On the Flipside, The Final Fantasy franchise is all over the place. Why? Well, ALL of the games are their own stories and worlds, sharing only the name and some themes with one another. However, Final Fantasy I, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII would all be on the list, so I bundled them up into tiers. The first tier is my favorite game of all time, Final Fantasy VI, but the others are all close. I cannot decide if I like VIII or IX more, so they share a slot. I cannot decide if I like VII, X, or XII better, so they share a slot. V and IV were both discovered near the same time and are similar, so I bundled them together. I is simple and fun, so it gets its own slot. The Tactics series is only as low as it is because I bundle Tactics AND the Tactics Advance games...I love them all equally despite the first being the clearly best game. Why? Well, I have a vendetta against Final Fantasy Tactics because I could never beat it. The story wasn't as good in advance, but I could actually PLAY it and do well, and it was so addicting!

So, without further adieu:

25- Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze
24- Final Fantasy Tactics (+Advance)
23- Final Fantasy (Tier 5 - I)
22- Super Marioworld 2: Yoshi's Island
21- Pokemon (Franchise as a whole)
20- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
19- Grand Theft Auto Vice City/San Andreas
18- Red Dead Redemption (+Undead Nightmare)
17- Mega Man X Collection
16- Final Fantasy (Tier 4 - IV, V)
15- Portal (1+2)
14- Ratchet & Clank (Franchise as a whole)
13- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
12- Assassin's Creed (Franchise as a whole)
11- Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl
10- Rock Band (Franchise)
9 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (+DLC)
8 - Final Fantasy (Tier 3 - VIII, IX)
7 - Super Mario All-Stars + Super Marioworld
6 - Final Fantasy (Tier 2 - VII, X, XII)
5 - Mega Man 2
4 - Donkey Kong Country (SNES Trilogy)
3 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
1 - Final Fantasy VI

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

5. Super Metroid

Because I played it before I liked it and after playing it again and again it has become one of my favourite games.

4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Maybe it isn't best GTA but nearly everone played it and I enjoyed it because it was one of the first games I played which is normally only for adults.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles

Because I loved and enjoyed it so much and I was so surprised how awesome it was and now I can't wait for X for Wii U.

2. Metroid Prime

This game is the reason I want to play all the Metroid games. It was one of my first shooter games and now I am a huge fan of the Metroid franchise.

1. Super Mario World

I grew up with my brother's SNES and this game. I played it so many times that it has to be my personal number one.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.