By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So lets talk about Titanfall on Xbox 360

Tagged games:

J_Allard said:

The game is now a week away from its 3rd (?) release date and we are still yet to see a single second of footage on it. Anyone else expecting another delay? I would not be shocked to see a rather lengthy one this time. Maybe the team porting the game is having more trouble keeping the game playable than EA/Respawn thought they would. It really doesn't make sense to hide the game anymore with software sales as frontloaded as they are.

Does anyone honestly think the game will launch in a week?

Some people have already picked up the copy of thier games. It wont be delayed. The reason none of them can play it or get some early reviews/videos out is that the servers aren't accepting connections yet.

The game will launch April 8th as planned

Around the Network
cusman said:
J_Allard said:

The game is now a week away from its 3rd (?) release date and we are still yet to see a single second of footage on it. Anyone else expecting another delay? I would not be shocked to see a rather lengthy one this time. Maybe the team porting the game is having more trouble keeping the game playable than EA/Respawn thought they would. It really doesn't make sense to hide the game anymore with software sales as frontloaded as they are.

Some people have already picked up the copy of thier games. It wont be delayed. The reason none of them can play it or get some early reviews/videos out is that the servers aren't accepting connections yet.

Yup, somebody has a photo of the 360 disc in retail box on GAF. In other words somebody bought/stole/whatever the retail 360 version and has it in their grubby hands already.

I didn't know why there weren't videos. Interesting. Guess we wont see vids til the 8th.

fallen said:
cusman said:
J_Allard said:

Yup, somebody has a photo of the 360 disc in retail box on GAF. In other words somebody bought/stole/whatever the retail 360 version and has it in their grubby hands already.

I didn't know why there weren't videos. Interesting. Guess we wont see vids til the 8th.

The game's probably useless until launch since it's online only.  Plus didn't M$ ban consoles one time for playing some game before release?  Halo 4, maybe?  Or I may have dreamed the whole thing.  Who knows?

I'm curious to know people's thoughts about the PC version then. Why wasn't that delayed? Why wasn't the xbox one version an exclusive launch with the 360 and PC following weeks or perhaps months later?

Then all the focus would have been on the xbox one version.

Just looking at some of the comments with regard the engine. Are people claiming somehow the source engine is to blame for the technical weakness of the xbone version? Are they claiming all three versions are compromised because of this?

bonzobanana said:
I'm curious to know people's thoughts about the PC version then. Why wasn't that delayed? Why wasn't the xbox one version an exclusive launch with the 360 and PC following weeks or perhaps months later?

Then all the focus would have been on the xbox one version.

Just looking at some of the comments with regard the engine. Are people claiming somehow the source engine is to blame for the technical weakness of the xbone version? Are they claiming all three versions are compromised because of this?

Overall PC availability hasn't been shown to hurt console game sales (see : Skyrim, etc). So they weren't that threatened by that, which means that the moneyhat to prevent a PC version was completely not worth the effort. Basically 100% of the marketing and press coverage (which is astonishingly easy to buy up these days with banner ads/etc) was focused on the XB1 release, to the point where the average joe that just heard about it would think it was only going to be on XB1.

As for the engine, yes, the Source engine they used is based on the framework of the 2004 initial release. If they had developed a new engine, or modified something newer, they could have gotten so much more out of the XB1. You must remember, the engine we're talking about was from days when even dual-cores weren't very common, and PC testing shows that even i3s run it very well, and with basically zero gain going from quads to higher core counts.

The XB1 and PS4 both use 8 weak cores, so this is an old engine that would actually perform much better with 2 or 4 fast cores.

A more modern engine would allow for MUCH better use of the next-gen console architecture. I don't expect Titanfall 2 to use the Source engine now that it's been bumped up to AAA status.

Around the Network

To put a bullet on it (haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZv_L_qQTY

That's Titanfall running on a dual-core entry level Celeron. But those Celeron cores are hugely more powerful than the individual cores on the AMD Jaguar CPU.

A $50 (or less) processor.

d21lewis said:
fallen said:
cusman said:
J_Allard said:

The game's probably useless until launch since it's online only.  Plus didn't M$ ban consoles one time for playing some game before release?  Halo 4, maybe?  Or I may have dreamed the whole thing.  Who knows?

They said they're not going to do anything with people being allowed to buy their pre orders before the release date now tho. Since the game is already now well after its original release date so they can't be too harsh on gamers picking it up from Mom and pop gaming shops who just sell it because they got their delivery in. And yeah like you said, you can't do shit with the disk bar install it until the servers allow people to go online and drop a titan.

edit - From Respawns twitter about the game being sold early. https://twitter.com/thedreamysoul/statuses/451880398503813122

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

J_Allard said:
bonzobanana said:
J_Allard said:
bonzobanana said:

Under Microsoft's pressure they are probably making the game a lot worse for launch so it doesn't make the xbox one version look bad. That 50GB audio install on the pc is a utter farce.

I've been looking for info on the 360 version of titanfall and there is nothing and we are so close to launch. It will be funny if the game is locked at 30fps practically and has a resolution just below 720p and plays as well or almost as well as the xbone version.

It's not a game for me as I have an xbox 360 but no xbox live but I'm curious about it. I might pick up the pc version when it goes cheap. My PC should at least run it as well as the xbone even though its an entry level gaming model.

Still disappointed they didn't go with a single player campaign as well. Seems like an incomplete game to me. I think that is also an issue for many people. Both the xbone and pc versions have healthy metacritic commercial review ratings of 86% but user reviews for both are down to 61%. I think much of that is down to lack of content in the game. You do wonder if the commercial reviews have really thought about the lifespan of the game and lack of content when giving their final review.

There is still about 3rd of active 360 owners who don't subscribe to xbox live and for them Titanfall is a pointless purchase.

Idk how anyone could possibly believe that. The money MS would have to be spending for that is ginormous. Not only does it affect the sales of this game but it affects the sales of the eventual sequel. If they make the 360 version so bad on purpose, that will put people off on the new IP altogether. No way.

Well the PC version had a stupid audio install of 50GB that made absolutely no sense at all, an irritation to PC owners especially those running out of hard drive space. Everyone is scratching their head why that was done and hasn't been done in the past by other games. There is a difference between knocking the 360 version back a bit so its a bit weaker and completely trashing the game so it looks like something the Atari Jaguar would come up with. They could un-optimise the  loading routines so its slower loading. Lots of things that could have a small impact on the game and makes the xbox one hardware more credible.

That PC audio install is so wierd and without any justification that you are left believing it was some sort of manipulation to somehow make the xbox one look more credible. Having such huge audio files on the hard drive may hit performance too. Yes there uncompressed but that means more hard drive time accessing them as they are larger.

Titanfall is technically weak on the xbox one. Low resolution, frame rate issues, frame tearing etc. It is rubbish technically despite being a good game. It would do a lot of damage if the 360 version actually compares very well to it. It would be all over the internet as a major story and a real downer to xbox one hardware sales. Everyone would be having a good laugh about it and Microsoft would be having to do damage limitation PR. It's not hard to see Microsoft's motivation not to see a good 360 port.

You have to ask why we are this close to launch and we have no idea what the 360 version looks like. 360 info has been heavily surpressed.

There is simply no way the 360 version will be anywhere close to the Xbone version in resolution or frame rate without serious texture quality drops, lowered effects, and much smaller map sizes.

What Titanfall seems like to me is a game made quickly with a deadline to meet by a very small team. One that probably could not afford to oversee Bluelight or whoever is making the port, I forgot. Now that their own game is out they can help with any issues the 360 version is having and help get the game out the door. AFAIK BP has no experience with the Source engine as a company.

It makes no sense for EA to delay a perfectly good port when Titanfall is already out on Xbone. Sales for games soar for a week or two then plummet. They can release a good version for 360 right now and people will see it functions fine but is missing a lot of the stuff the Xbone version has, which may lead to people upgrading, or they can purposely push out a crippled game and people might decide they don't want to mess with Titanfall at all. Just doesn't gel logically.

that doesnt seem right considering that the 360 version was annouced at the same time as the other versions. ANd GI even talked about the 360 version when it first was revealed

Err, what does it matter that the 360 version was announced at the same time? Its not like it was a secret.

why would they annouce it at the same time but start production much later? Especially in this case. Makes no sense.