By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. inFamous: Second Son

Tagged games:

The game is stunning and runs great

Around the Network

The game looks great in motion, but I hope the blurry backgrounds are an artistic choice and not caused by the heavy application of anti aliasing. I've only played the start so far, maybe it gets better. This background certainly doesn't like 1080p.

I guess it's an intentional depth of field effect as the foreground isn't affected, still ugly imo.

Panama said:
I'm actually impressed by the fact its framerate almost never dips even with a very busy screen. Maybe this gen won't be as awful as I think it will be.

Actually theres missign information that states that "We've produced a stress test designed to push the engine to its limits. While the frame-rate typically stays north of 30 fps there are certainly plenty of circumstances which can knock performance into the 20s." 

wHICH means that teh game does suffer from frame drops within the 20s. It doesn't happen often but ti does frop to quite a low level. 

Great game. It has a good story and given the nature of D's conduit abilities, he is a more future proof character than Cole for the next entries to the series.

The only let down is that the side content is still repeative. I like it better than the previous entries as it does much better keeping the action going when clearing districts, but overall I was hoping for more in this respect.

I have not done Paper Trail or Cole's Legacy yet though, which do seem to offer more than district clearing, so we will see. Gonna delve into that this weekend.

Overall great game though, and I can't wait to see what sucker punch offers next.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I platinum the game already and I just love the world they created and powers they offered but I'm disappointed in the fact that there wasn't much variability in side missions.

Around the Network

"Next-gen looks, last-gen thinking?"
"The quality of the story-telling doesn't quite match the beauty of the tech"

Seems that DF can't stop embarrassing themselves - who the hell asked them or cared what they think about anything but the technical side of any game?

I don't seem to remember any of those sentences in other "next"-gen analysis, particularity for certain games that aside from 7th gen gameplay even have 7th gen looks.

SvennoJ said:

The game looks great in motion, but I hope the blurry backgrounds are an artistic choice and not caused by the heavy application of anti aliasing. I've only played the start so far, maybe it gets better. This background certainly doesn't like 1080p.

I guess it's an intentional depth of field effect as the foreground isn't affected, still ugly imo.

Even the best post-processing AA causes blurry in some cases... it is impossible becuase you are creating pixels based in what was rendered before and not rendenring together.

I'm waiting to see a 1080p@30fps with 2xMSAA on PS4... it will be a hell of shaper.

HoloDust said:

Seems that DF, can't stop embracing themselves - who the hell asked them or cared what they think about anything but the technical side of any game?

I don't seem to remember any of those sentences in other "next"-gen analysis, particularity for certain games that aside from 7th gen gameplay even have 7th gen looks.

What I don't understand is how the story can be last-gen

The story is not perfect... a 7.5/10 story for me but I'm questioning what make a story next-gen? lol

ethomaz said:
HoloDust said:

Seems that DF, can't stop embracing themselves - who the hell asked them or cared what they think about anything but the technical side of any game?

What I don't understand is how the story can be last-gen

The story is not perfect... a 7.5/10 story for me but I'm questioning what make a story next-gen? lol

I think its related to the "fluff word" next-gen gameplay.

Which if we truely held that standard to any current gen game, only VR games come close to it (which is strictly PC atm).

And in the end is just BS.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

took my time and just completed evil story, quite enjoying and will take my time again to complete hero story and platinum...