By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global HW+SW, week ending 3/22.

ethomaz said:
MLB The Show is a big system seller in US... but it is weak outside it.

No it isn't. Did the last Show release ever even cross a million? People vastly overrate the importance of baseball games since Show is an exclusive. There's a reason 2k decided it wasn't even worth releasing them anymore.

Can you tell me the last time PS3 saw a week over week increase in the US the week The Show launched on PS3? I gave up after searching and seeing a negative sales number in the US the weeks 11, 12, and 13 launched. Surely that shouldn't happen for a "big system seller".

Like Infamous, naturally 14 will see a sales spike over past games due to being a new game for a new console. But LOL @ big system seller.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
ethomaz said:
MLB The Show is a big system seller in US... but it is weak outside it.

No it isn't. Did the last Show release ever even cross a million? People vastly overrate the importance of baseball games since Show is an exclusive. There's a reason 2k decided it wasn't even worth releasing them anymore.

Can you tell me the last time PS3 saw a week over week increase in the US the week The Show launched on PS3? I gave up after searching and seeing a negative sales number in the US the weeks 11, 12, and 13 launched. Surely that shouldn't happen for a "big system seller".

Like Infamous, naturally 14 will see a sales spike over past games due to being a new game for a new console. But LOL @ big system seller.

2k baseball sold a lot less despite being on PC ps3 and 360..........the show moves systems.  The show made that game look amateurish. MLB 2k was crap.

wary-wallaroo said:

I never claimed MLB The Show is a big system selling game, I just said that it's coming out in April (and my arguments is in regards to it, in combination with the other points I mentioned, not individuall).  And Evoloution's last few games sucked? Have you even played them? Motorstorm Apocalypse was poorly timed released but it was friggen great (it was just sent out to die).  RAD is a great studios with a great track record, and what we've seen from The Order looks incredible (then again, that's my opnion, it may not appeal to you), I don't see any reason to doubt them. 

Destiny and Watch Dogs exclusive marketing will absolutely have an effect, unless you know something I don't konw? They're two of the biggest games this year and every add will have PS4 featured. It's like arguing that exclusive X1 marketing for Titanfall didn't have an effect. While it won't nearly as big as Titanfall's marketing effect, both Watch Dogs and Destiny will certainly help, especially when you add them to the rest of the list. 

As for what you said about Bungie...um, lol? Are you serious? People have always cared about Bungie and their post Halo game has been hyped up since before we even knew what it was. Are you serioulsy trying to imply that Bungie and Insomniac are on the same level? That's just too good, haha. 

I would have included Pacific Rift as well but at least that one got good reviews. Apocalypse was crap to me personally and meta wise it seems to be along what most of the Ratchet games Insomiac made last gen. Exclusive marketing means nothing when people know the games are coming to other consoles. If someone powers on their 360 or PS3 or Xbone they aren't going to get a PS4 Watch Dogs ad. If they go into Gamestop they aren't going to be turned away from preordering on another console. It's the same logic used for Titanfall and how it won't sell as well because people know it's coming to 360, even though MS showcased the Xbox One release in some of their marketing.

LOL @ people have always cared about Bungie. Just gonna stop there.

FlamingWeazel said:

2k baseball sold a lot less despite being on PC ps3 and 360..........the show moves systems.  The show made that game look amateurish. MLB 2k was crap.

Oh man that's awesome! I took a couple minutes earlier and looked back over the last 3 releases and it seems less people actually bought PS3's in the US when the Show launched. Maybe you can direct me to evidence of this moving of systems you're referring to?

J_Allard said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Oh man that's awesome! I took a couple minutes earlier and looked back over the last 3 releases and it seems less people actually bought PS3's in the US when the Show launched. Maybe you can direct me to evidence of this moving of systems you're referring to?

It's common sense, I personally know a lot of people at Operation sports that got a ps3 just for the show. It wont have a big jump at launch but pver the year it moves systems, ther eis no baseball on x1. Any baseball fan would be insane to miss out on the show.

Around the Network

J_Allard said:

Just wait one more week to see if you are right... the last three releases already had the MBL fanbase installed.

ethomaz said:

J_Allard said:

Just wait one more week to see if you are right... the last three releases already had the MBL fanbase installed.

That too, and this gen there is no choice, and the show has gotten more known for it's quality as the gen has gone on.

Oh ok, so you guys have no actual evidence and are basing it on dreams and make believe. Gotcha.

LOL @ "MLB fanbase already installed the last 3 years!". Then lets look at all the years?

07:
Pre Show: 22,301
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 20,923

08:
Pre Show: 80,867
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 56,102

09:
Pre Show: 77,953
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 56,721

10:
Pre Show: 103,113
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 79,961

Damn, not a single time this gen has the PS3 seen a week over week increase the week The Show released in the US. Maybe you guys just don't understand what "big system seller means"? Idk. I am glad I could help you guys out here though, at least now you know baseball games don't sell consoles.

J_Allard said:
Oh ok, so you guys have no actual evidence and are basing it on dreams and make believe. Gotcha.

LOL @ "MLB fanbase already installed the last 3 years!". Then lets look at all the years?

07:
Pre Show: 22,301
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 20,923

08:
Pre Show: 80,867
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 56,102

09:
Pre Show: 77,953
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 56,721

10:
Pre Show: 103,113
BIG SYSTEM SELLER SHOW RELEASE: 79,961

Damn, not a single time this gen has the PS3 seen a week over week increase the week The Show released in the US. Maybe you guys just don't understand what "big system seller means"? Idk. I am glad I could help you guys out here though, at least now you know baseball games don't sell consoles.

?? Who said anything about a week bump?? Many got a ps3 and ps4 knowing the show is Sony only, thats a fact,m go to operation sports and post it doesnt sell systems they will laugh you off the forum. It's not a huge hyped release like TF, but it moves many systems over the years.  BAseball fans and sports gamers go Playstation because of the show.

J_Allard said:
wary-wallaroo said:

I never claimed MLB The Show is a big system selling game, I just said that it's coming out in April (and my arguments is in regards to it, in combination with the other points I mentioned, not individuall).  And Evoloution's last few games sucked? Have you even played them? Motorstorm Apocalypse was poorly timed released but it was friggen great (it was just sent out to die).  RAD is a great studios with a great track record, and what we've seen from The Order looks incredible (then again, that's my opnion, it may not appeal to you), I don't see any reason to doubt them. 

Destiny and Watch Dogs exclusive marketing will absolutely have an effect, unless you know something I don't konw? They're two of the biggest games this year and every add will have PS4 featured. It's like arguing that exclusive X1 marketing for Titanfall didn't have an effect. While it won't nearly as big as Titanfall's marketing effect, both Watch Dogs and Destiny will certainly help, especially when you add them to the rest of the list. 

As for what you said about Bungie...um, lol? Are you serious? People have always cared about Bungie and their post Halo game has been hyped up since before we even knew what it was. Are you serioulsy trying to imply that Bungie and Insomniac are on the same level? That's just too good, haha. 

I would have included Pacific Rift as well but at least that one got good reviews. Apocalypse was crap to me personally and meta wise it seems to be along what most of the Ratchet games Insomiac made last gen. Exclusive marketing means nothing when people know the games are coming to other consoles. If someone powers on their 360 or PS3 or Xbone they aren't going to get a PS4 Watch Dogs ad. If they go into Gamestop they aren't going to be turned away from preordering on another console. It's the same logic used for Titanfall and how it won't sell as well because people know it's coming to 360, even though MS showcased the Xbox One release in some of their marketing.

LOL @ people have always cared about Bungie. Just gonna stop there.

Sure, if you consider 77 meta crap (for apocalypse). Ratchet All 4 One got a 70 and FFA got a 64, those are "crap". They were also departures from the norm, which I didn't enjoy. Resistance 2 crapped all over what made R1 good, and though R3 good tried getting things back to form, it juts didn't work. And of course, Fuse, lol.

And yes, if someone powers on their 360, PS3, or X1 they won't see the PS4 ad, but then again, that's not the point is it? the point is that those games will be identified with PS4 and will push that system to people who don't own one. If they already own an X1 then obviously the chances of selling them a PS4 based on a multiplat are lessened. But if someone hasn't upgraded, you can bet that the exclusive marketing will have an effect. Especially since the PS4 will be home to the superior verison of both (barring PC, of course).