By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF13 Sucks... here's why.

Runa216 said:
"Don't bother having an opinion on the net, for as long as someone disagrees with you, you are wrong. simple as that."

The reason I am so passionate about my hatred of Final Fantasy XIII is that I do not, under any circumstances, want to see another game like it. Final Fantasy was literally the most dominant force in JRPGs from 1987-2006, 19 years of dominance in its market, and I loved every one of them that I played. To see the overall direction of the series shift into something that is shallow, poorly written, fundamentally flawed, and is a prime example of style over substance kills me inside. .../

/... Final Fantasy has a LOT of pull in the RPG world, so if Square-Enix decides to go in the FFXIII direction, then the genre will be ruined, and I do not want to see that happen.

Well said. It good for many of us to keep repeating ourselves if needed to make sure SquEnix know how they went wrong and to not make the same mistakes.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Why FF13 doesn't suck:

Because I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm sorry (but not really) that you don't like the style of game it is. It's just not your thing, and I understand that.

It IS my kind of game though. I love the linearity. I hate having to explore an endless sandbox full on nonsensical or relevant dialogue. I hate having to walk around for 12 hours just to find what I'm supposed to do next, instead of having it right there in front of me.

I loved the combat! It's not just the same old FF IV turn based stuff, it's a little more in depth, but not so complicated that I can't understand it. (Looking at you, Knights in the Nightmare)

The plot made sense to me. Destroying the world will force the Gods to show themselves and interact to make a new world.

It's too bad you spent so much time and effort in tearing something down, rather than doing something you actually enjoy; Like playing a video game you actually enjoy!

Currently playing: Civ 6

The Fury said:

Runa216 said:
"Don't bother having an opinion on the net, for as long as someone disagrees with you, you are wrong. simple as that."

The reason I am so passionate about my hatred of Final Fantasy XIII is that I do not, under any circumstances, want to see another game like it. Final Fantasy was literally the most dominant force in JRPGs from 1987-2006, 19 years of dominance in its market, and I loved every one of them that I played. To see the overall direction of the series shift into something that is shallow, poorly written, fundamentally flawed, and is a prime example of style over substance kills me inside. .../

/... Final Fantasy has a LOT of pull in the RPG world, so if Square-Enix decides to go in the FFXIII direction, then the genre will be ruined, and I do not want to see that happen.

Well said. It good for many of us to keep repeating ourselves if needed to make sure SquEnix know how they went wrong and to not make the same mistakes.

Agreed, it's one of the reasons I'm so quick to speak out about games I dislike, and also why I'm so quick to defend and extoll the virtues of games I enjoy but feel get a bad rep or are overlooked (like DmC). The think we have to remember is that as consumers we have a small voice, easily ignored, so we have to speak out in force. Sure people say "vote with your wallet" but that doesn't work. Ubisoft interpreted Zombie U's failure as a lack of interest in the Wii U, not that the game was ultimately disappointing, (I've not actually played it). If we want games to our tastes, we need to make ourselves heard and that means repeatedly calling out games when they're bad, and praising games when they're good... but with care not to become, haters or fanboys. Unnecessary backlash and pointless overhype helps no-one.

cdude1034 said:
Why FF13 doesn't suck:

Because I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm sorry (but not really) that you don't like the style of game it is. It's just not your thing, and I understand that.

It IS my kind of game though. I love the linearity. I hate having to explore an endless sandbox full on nonsensical or relevant dialogue. I hate having to walk around for 12 hours just to find what I'm supposed to do next, instead of having it right there in front of me.

I loved the combat! It's not just the same old FF IV turn based stuff, it's a little more in depth, but not so complicated that I can't understand it. (Looking at you, Knights in the Nightmare)

The plot made sense to me. Destroying the world will force the Gods to show themselves and interact to make a new world.

It's too bad you spent so much time and effort in tearing something down, rather than doing something you actually enjoy; Like playing a video game you actually enjoy!

I do enjoy tearing down bad games, I find it cathartic and it helps me release my frustrations... it also makes me feel intellectually superior and validates my ability to critique when people get defensive and try to insult me because they can't defend the thing I'm critiquing and instead resort to trying to insult me as a person, and simply stating, "well I liked it, so there"... or words to that effect.

Good for you. You enjoyed the game. I didn't for reasons explained. I also judge it, by recognisable and explainable criteria, to be an objectively bad game. This is a reasonable judgement and unless someone can argue against my points, again already explained, a demonstrable (and indeed demonstated) fact.

Hi, I am TornadoCreator. I'm bumping this thread to say simply this, I'm leaving. The moderators on this site have a stick up their fucking arse the size of a redwood and can't seem to handle a basic somewhat heated debate. I'm sick of being refereed like a fucking child. Yet again I have a 3 day ban for simply being frank and honest. There's no way I'm waiting three days to post this so I re-registered. I was hoping the first time was a one-off over-zelous moderator, but no, it's apparently a trend and that's unfortunate.

To all those I had good chats and debates with, especially those in the FFXIII thread; even those I disagreed with: It was nice to talk with you all and I perhaps we'll talk on other sites. Thanks for giving me a little social interaction, especially as I have so little in my life. Drop me a message on Facebook or Backloggery any time, I enjoy talking about games and you all welcomed me here, if you ever fancy a chat I'm just a mouse-click away. It's sad that I must leave but clearly the rules here are not conducive to adults having mature conversations, so it's the way it has to be.

To the moderators. Grow up, there's a reason so many threads here lack any real meat to them... because anything short of a sales prediction, any slight level of passion and you treat us all like children. Your power-trip is truly pathetic and only indicates how unfulfilled and lacking of authority your real lives must be. Your rules are a sad indication of just how thin skinned, and disconnected to the internet as a whole, you really are. Fuck you. I'm out of here. I have better things to do than waste my time here any more.

Around the Network
AngryLemon said:
Hi, I am TornadoCreator. I'm bumping this thread to say simply this, I'm leaving. The moderators on this site have a stick up their fucking arse the size of a redwood and can't seem to handle a basic somewhat heated debate. I'm sick of being refereed like a fucking child. Yet again I have a 3 day ban for simply being frank and honest. There's no way I'm waiting three days to post this so I re-registered. I was hoping the first time was a one-off over-zelous moderator, but no, it's apparently a trend and that's unfortunate.

To all those I had good chats and debates with, especially those in the FFXIII thread; even those I disagreed with: It was nice to talk with you all and I perhaps we'll talk on other sites. Thanks for giving me a little social interaction, especially as I have so little in my life. Drop me a message on Facebook or Backloggery any time, I enjoy talking about games and you all welcomed me here, if you ever fancy a chat I'm just a mouse-click away. It's sad that I must leave but clearly the rules here are not conducive to adults having mature conversations, so it's the way it has to be.

To the moderators. Grow up, there's a reason so many threads here lack any real meat to them... because anything short of a sales prediction, any slight level of passion and you treat us all like children. Your power-trip is truly pathetic and only indicates how unfulfilled and lacking of authority your real lives must be. Your rules are a sad indication of just how thin skinned, and disconnected to the internet as a whole, you really are. Fuck you. I'm out of here. I have better things to do than waste my time here any more.

With the way you present yourself, and the way you debate with people who don't think like you do, it's no wonder you have so little social interactions in your life. It's not the mods who have to man up. It's you. Come back once you've learned some manners and respect. You'll be welcome then.

I understand it's frustrating when you get banned. But take this time to think about the reason you've been banned, and re-evaluate the way you approach people here. Yeah, it's the internet. But that's no excuse to be a dick to people. Don't be a part of the problem. 

Hynad said:
AngryLemon said:

With the way you present yourself, and the way you debate with people who don't think like you do, it's no wonder you have so little social interactions in your life. It's not the mod that have to man up. It's you. Come back once you've learn some manners and respect. You'll be welcome then.

I have little social interactions because I'm housebound. I'm severely physically disabled... don't worry though, I'm not going to be here, so you won't have to put up with me will you.

AngryLemon said:
Hynad said:

With the way you present yourself, and the way you debate with people who don't think like you do, it's no wonder you have so little social interactions in your life. It's not the mod that have to man up. It's you. Come back once you've learn some manners and respect. You'll be welcome then.

I have little social interactions because I'm housebound. I'm severely physically disabled... don't worry though, I'm not going to be here, so you won't have to put up with me will you.

So you lash out your frustration on people online because of that?

But you're right. I'd rather not put up with people who try to shove their views down everyone's throat. It's unfortunate, since you showed some potential. Not without having to do some learning though. It's never a good idea to present yourself this forcefully to those you "wish" to debate with. It sets and antagonistic tone for the rest of the discussion.

Really, so this is what we've come up to?

I don't want you to leave the site. All I ever wanted was to show that people who say that FF XIII is objectively bad are wrong, because mixing "objectively" and "bad" in the same sentence will never ever cope out well.

Wright said:

Really, so this is what we've come up to?

I don't want you to leave the site. All I ever wanted was to show that people who say that FF XIII is objectively bad are wrong, because mixing "objectively" and "bad" in the same sentence will never ever cope out well.

Indeed. He didn't seem to understand this:

Objective: The game is linear.

Subjective: The game is bad because it's linear.