By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is Obama Care the same as NHS?

MoHasanie said:
Brutalyst said:
MoHasanie said:
I don't know about Obama care, but the NHS isn't very good, at least if you compare it to health care in Canada.

You say the NHS isnt very good and though I cant argue with that (due to finance cuts), have you ever been in a room with a Doctor and the Doctor said to you the chances of your Dad living are less than 30%? I hope you havent been, yet I have and he survived, not only that but a second time I was told something similar and had to go to the hospital in the middle of the night becuase my Dad might not survive the night,... no, not expected to live the night. yet he did, both times, and that is thanks to the NHS and the people who work there.

Congratulations on your dad's survival. Its a miracle that he's still alive. 

The doctors are generally very good that work for the NHS, but nurses and other professionals are known to not be very good. Its a well known problem. My sister has given birth in both Canada and the UK, and she said giving birth in the UK was much worse because nurses were not as well trained, they don't give you any drugs to lower the pain etc. These are problems that the NHS needs to solve, but most of them are due to low funding. I mean, the Canadian healthcare system isn't great either but its not as low funded as the NHS (probably because the UK is twice as populated). 

I have no idea how the Canado health sservice works (please enlighten me!). But the NHS has saved my Dad's life on 2 occassions, and since those days I dont regret the amount I pay into National insurance because of it. I was only curious if Obama Care hoped to achieve that too.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Around the Network
Brutalyst said:

I have no idea how the Canado health sservice works (please enlighten me!). But the NHS has saved my Dad's life on 2 occassions, and since those days I dont regret the amount I pay into National insurance because of it. I was only curious if Obama Care hoped to achieve that too.

You can read about it if you want (in case if you ever move here ;) ) .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/7949665/Expat-guide-to-Canada-health-care.html

I think we can all agree that both systems are better than the healthcare provided in the United States. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

So let's compare it to the German system(as I'm not familiar with the NHS).

Here in Germany everyone is forced by law to have health insurance. You won't get far without.
Both employer and employee pay about the same fixed amount (percentage of the gross income) for the insurance. Meaning those who earn more pay more, but essentially get the same service. If you earn enough you can switch to a private insurance which has its perks, like doctors treating you faster, but provide about the same services as public insurance.
All basic stuff is covered though hospital visits and a wide range of medication you have to pay extra. It won't ruin anyone though since there are a lo of government programs that aid financially. So basically however poor or sick you are, you will get covered if you want to or not.

How does that compare to the American system? Or NHS or the Canadian system for that matter?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Here in Germany everyone is forced by law to have health insurance. You won't get far without.
Both employer and employee pay about the same fixed amount (percentage of the gross income) for the insurance. Meaning those who earn more pay more, but essentially get the same service. If you earn enough you can switch to a private insurance which has its perks, like doctors treating you faster, but provide about the same services as public insurance.
All basic stuff is covered though hospital visits and a wide range of medication you have to pay extra. It won't ruin anyone though since there are a lo of government programs that aid financially. So basically however poor or sick you are, you will get covered if you want to or not.

How does that compare to the American system? Or NHS or the Canadian system for that matter?

That sounds similar to the American system, except is Germany's "insurance" a public institution, or can you shop around for which "coverage" you want for your required insurance?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
vivster said:

That sounds similar to the American system, except is Germany's "insurance" a public institution, or can you shop around for which "coverage" you want for your required insurance?

There are multiple public and private insurance companies. You are free to choose which one you want. They all have to offer ther same baseline but they differ in extra services. You pay the same for all public insurances.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Mr Khan said:
vivster said:

There are multiple public and private insurance companies. You are free to choose which one you want. They all have to offer ther same baseline but they differ in extra services. You pay the same for all public insurances.

That sounds just like America's then, except that the only way to go public is to be poor.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Personally I think everyone should be entitled to free health service on behalf of the government. Nobody is immune to death or sickness, and those thinking that even small reforms like the obamacare are a waste of time way out of touch with reality or have the money to cover the hospital bills, but that still leaves majority of the country who wouldn't be able to afford the healthcare, or if they do will have to take extortionate loans that banks provide, essentially legalised loan sharks, just to be able to survive.

I live in UK, although I never had to use NHS am glad to know that if something does happen, I will have the safety net to support me and those I hold dear without the possibility of losing all my money and ending up in debt. I personally would have thought that a democratic country like America which claims to be the land of the free would have a healthcare system that was at least the equivalent of NHS. But no, better spend the taxpayers money on interfering in other countries and maintaining a costly military.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Witch doctors FTW.

I wish the US had something like that. The NHS is great, but unfortunately Obamacare is nothing like that. The hospitals are still private there, Obamacare is basically minimal health insurance for everyone from what I get of it.

Maybe, stop invading countries and every American can remain healthy without worry about the massive debt that follows!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018