By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OPENGL 2014 Announced. Up to 15x more performance.

RawrJa said:
I dont think Sony uses OpenGL

What else would they be using?

There is pretty much only DX and OpenGL for graphics in mainstream programming.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

vivster said:

Consoles already have minimal driver overhead. Their API is already a lot closer to the hardware tha PCs. There will be a boost in efficiency but it will not nearly be as big as it is on PC.

it's like bulding a drive through at mc donalds. It will shorten the time for car drivers significantly but it won't affect the people that are already standing at the door of the building.

Sorry for the terrible analogy but it's the best I could come up so far.

That analogy was hilarious LOL. Never thought anyone would use McDonald's for an analogy.

RawrJa said:

Good joke.

theprof00 said:
vivster said:
theprof00 said:
vivster said:
Still not relevant for consoles. Expect a fraction of the performance boost it has on PC for consoles.

Im confused as to how it's not relevant. PS4 uses opengl does it not?

Consoles already have minimal driver overhead. Their API is already a lot closer to the hardware tha PCs. There will be a boost in efficiency but it will not nearly be as big as it is on PC.

it's like bulding a drive through at mc donalds. It will shorten the time for car drivers significantly but it won't affect the people that are already standing at the door of the building.

Sorry for the terrible analogy but it's the best I could come up so far.

ps4 uses opengl for rendering. this is fact.

Yes it does but the improvements are about cutting driver overhead not OpenGL overhead. And consoles already have minimal driver overhead because there is a lot less between the software and hardware. Why do you think games like Infamous are possible on a crappy APU that wouldn't even come close to that graphical fidelity on PC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
theprof00 said:

Yes it does but the improvements are about cutting driver overhead not OpenGL overhead. And consoles already have minimal driver overhead because there is a lot less between the software and hardware. Why do you think games like Infamous are possible on a crappy APU that wouldn't even come close to that graphical fidelity on PC.

Sorry, I editted but didn't catch it in time.

Yes I know that ps4 api is already very low in driver overhead, but this is a nice boost nonetheless. It's something :D

Around the Network

The PS4 doesn't use OpenGL ... DX 12 and this shit will be worthless to consoles cause they already have API's tailored for low level access.

theprof00 said:
vivster said:
theprof00 said:

Sorry, I editted but didn't catch it in time.

Yes I know that ps4 api is already very low in driver overhead, but this is a nice boost nonetheless. It's something :D

I'm interested to see how much (if at all) this will increase performance as well. Though I expect it to be so minimal that we won't really see the difference unless someone tells us that a game profits from the new OGL.

vivster said:
RawrJa said:

What else would they be using?

There is pretty much only DX and OpenGL for graphics in mainstream programming.

Their own custom API. It is called GNM (low-level) and GNMX (high-Level). Open GL is support by PS4 though.

LOL more PR nonsense (in relation to PS4 here). It's the same thing I said in the DX12/XB1 thread : don't expect much. They already confirmed (from the architects of the systems no less) that both PS4/XB1 have super low-level API already in place to maximize efficiency in the most important area : draw calls from GPU to minimize lag to CPU response.

This kind of thing is a BIG deal on PCs where the API has been a sorely lacking area in terms of efficiency. For PS4 and XB1? Meh/10.

More mature SDKs and optimization techniques will continue to incrementally improve what is possible, and more undocumented tricks will be discovered as time goes on. That's par for the course.

But to believe that magic new release of OpenGL or DX12 or anything like that is going to make for even a 'significant' boost is seriously deluded.

I code in OpenGL 3.2. I also use Linux as my primary OS. This makes moi happy!

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine