By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Microsoft Keynote Thread

What's wrong with the possibility of amateur games on XNA? Are you guys telling me that you haven't become addicted to various flash games on the internet before?

Around the Network

While the confirmation of Gears is a good thing. I think everyone was expecting some mortar rounds out of the left field bleachers. Rather then someone they already knew was in the dugout. I hope the third party developers cut loose with surprise announcements or that the big three are holding out on some info right up till the last minute. Otherwise this gaming show is a real bust. Yes Microsoft can take it away with just Gears, but where is the overkill. Where are the four or five games that are supposed to surprise us.

I pray the key players aren't holding on to fat wallets to unload at their own gamer days. Those generally blow and are nothing more then propaganda fairs for the media. Sadly that may be our only hope if this conference doesn't start churning out announcements pronto. The E3 show is just too late in the year for announcements, and those corporate gamer days always happen on like Wednesday in the middle of nowhere. I like to see the corporate entities try to one up each other.

rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:
Also. Who wants to pay to play ametuer games? I mean, XNA games are going to cost money right? Unless Microsoft doesn't care about footing the bill for putting your games on their service, etc... But never mind, this is M$, they're charging. So back to my first point, I get to pay to play ametuer games... That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Just like anything else community-generated, 95% of it will be crap.

Getting excited about LBP but not this is insanity IMO. This is so much cooler than user-generated content for a high-profile game; we've had that stuff for years and years on PC. 

With LBP, it's different.  There is a whole game aside from the User created content.  Then theres all the User created content.  with xna, it's nice for small developers and whatnot, but like you said 95% will be crap.

ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
PooperScooper said:
Disolitude - not really.

PooperScooper - yes really.

actually.. no...

While I diasagree with Disolutes comment that the conference is more news then Sony and Nintendo combined. I do agree that MS tends to only show off games that are coming out in the near future, unlike Sony who likes to dangle carrots in front of its users.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Makingmusic - That's the point. The internet can fill my flash game addiction for free.

Around the Network

@ making music

Yeah, cuz they're FREE.

Would you pay to play flash games?

PooperScooper said:
Resistance 2 this year. Blu-ray wins. - last 30 days on Sony side only.

Yeah, Blu-ray winning is not gaming news...Im sure Sony had some news in their plasma TV division that you forgot to mention.

Resistance 2 looks cool I admit but gears of war is king.

PooperScooper said:
DM - I was going to say that exact thing when rocketpig said XNA > Home. I couldnt spell amateur though. I can see games being stick figures beating each other over the head with sticks - not much to get excited for.

Obviously you've never played around with user-generated content before. While most of it is crap, there will be shining examples of people really using the XNA tools creatively.

This opens up an entire new world for XB users... I think it's rampant fanboyism to act like it's nothing to be excited about. It's certainly more exciting to me than a wanna-be Second Life or another high-profile game with user-created levels.

I'll be downloading XNA myself soon, that's for sure.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

gebx said:
ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
PooperScooper said:
Disolitude - not really.

PooperScooper - yes really.

actually.. no...

While I diasagree with Disolutes comment that the conference is more news then Sony and Nintendo combined. I do agree that MS tends to only show off games that are coming out in the near future, unlike Sony who likes to dangle carrots in front of its users.

Fable 2 seems to disagree, as we still don't have a date for that game.

Uncharted was shown last E3 and came out in July...

pwned?

Gebx you should have just said "Actually Yes it is" and kept it going for someone to go "Actually I think not" you ruined it =\