Forums - Gaming Discussion - Learned C++, what now?

So I've learned C++, but I'm confused as to where to go to next, how do I make graphics? Do I need one of those graphic APIs people keep talking about? Where can I find nice online tutorials for them?

 

Sorry if this seems a bit noobish but I'm new to programming.





Around the Network

I don't think there is such a thing as "learning C++" or any other programming language for that matter.

It takes years to master any language, and I doubt whether you can really do very complicated stuff yet. Who knows! Maybe you can, I just doubt it very much.

Also, sorry to say, I think C++ isn't the best choice.

C# is what my friend who makes games uses. They use Unity for making games:

https://unity3d.com/unity/download

Good luck!

EDIT:

The graphics part really, really depends! There are ready made tools for basic things, but usually an artist draws every single frame and then an animator connects them and then a programmer implements it. Not the easiest business!



Make a Calculator?



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Shaunaka said:

I don't think there is such a thing as "learning C++" or any other programming language for that matter.

It takes years to master any language, and I doubt whether you can really do very complicated stuff yet. Who knows! Maybe you can, I just doubt it very much.

Also, sorry to say, I think C++ isn't the best choice.

C# is what my friend who makes games uses. They use Unity for making games:

https://unity3d.com/unity/download

Good luck!

EDIT:

The graphics part really, really depends! There are ready made tools for basic things, but usually an artist draws every single frame and then an animator connects them and then a programmer implements it. Not the easiest business!

Well obviously I don't know everything, but I know of a lot, like recursions, composition, pointers, etc.

I learned C# as my first computer language but I can't really wrap my mind around Unity as I can't find any tutorials that really explain things and I get lost, the farthest I got was making a Flappy Bird type of game, not to mention there are devices that don't support Unity like the 3DS, but most devices can use C++, it's just that I have no idea what type of tools that I need, I don't know a thing about DirectX or OpenGL which are apparently graphical APIs that use C++.



cheesecake said:
Shaunaka said:

I don't think there is such a thing as "learning C++" or any other programming language for that matter.

It takes years to master any language, and I doubt whether you can really do very complicated stuff yet. Who knows! Maybe you can, I just doubt it very much.

Also, sorry to say, I think C++ isn't the best choice.

C# is what my friend who makes games uses. They use Unity for making games:

https://unity3d.com/unity/download

Good luck!

EDIT:

The graphics part really, really depends! There are ready made tools for basic things, but usually an artist draws every single frame and then an animator connects them and then a programmer implements it. Not the easiest business!

Well obviously I don't know everything, but I know of a lot, like recursions, composition, pointers, etc.

I learned C# as my first computer language but I can't really wrap my mind around Unity as I can't find any tutorials that really explain things and I get lost, the farthest I got was making a Flappy Bird type of game, not to mention there are devices that don't support Unity like the 3DS, but most devices can use C++, it's just that I have no idea what type of tools that I need, I don't know a thing about DirectX or OpenGL which are apparently graphical APIs that use C++.

What type of game are you looking to make?

'n Puzzle game or a tower defense game is always a good start. Top down with a grid that's represented with a simple matrix. That's very doable!

I enjoyed this article: http://kotaku.com/5979539/a-beginners-guide-to-making-your-first-video-game

EDIT: Is that you in the OP?



Around the Network
Shaunaka said:
cheesecake said:
Shaunaka said:

I don't think there is such a thing as "learning C++" or any other programming language for that matter.

It takes years to master any language, and I doubt whether you can really do very complicated stuff yet. Who knows! Maybe you can, I just doubt it very much.

Also, sorry to say, I think C++ isn't the best choice.

C# is what my friend who makes games uses. They use Unity for making games:

https://unity3d.com/unity/download

Good luck!

EDIT:

The graphics part really, really depends! There are ready made tools for basic things, but usually an artist draws every single frame and then an animator connects them and then a programmer implements it. Not the easiest business!

Well obviously I don't know everything, but I know of a lot, like recursions, composition, pointers, etc.

I learned C# as my first computer language but I can't really wrap my mind around Unity as I can't find any tutorials that really explain things and I get lost, the farthest I got was making a Flappy Bird type of game, not to mention there are devices that don't support Unity like the 3DS, but most devices can use C++, it's just that I have no idea what type of tools that I need, I don't know a thing about DirectX or OpenGL which are apparently graphical APIs that use C++.

What type of game are you looking to make?

'n Puzzle game or a tower defense game is always a good start. Top down with a grid that's represented with a simple matrix. That's very doable!

I enjoyed this article: http://kotaku.com/5979539/a-beginners-guide-to-making-your-first-video-game

EDIT: Is that you in the OP?

Yes I'm the op, if you're referring to my profile pic, nor that's not me



i meant the pic soz



Anywayz my buddy who makes games is here and he says gamemaker for 2d and Unity for 3d is the way to go.

I know (i really, really do) that getting used to new tools isn't easy, but it is absolutely essential. If you are serious then join a blog or something. If not - then

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AleksanderAdamkiewicz/20120703/173489/No_You_Cant_Make_Video_Games.php

Just joking :P

EDIT: Who on earth is shokio?

put it here as to not derail your thread. don't know if you'll see this. I actually really prefer subthreads, but this would suffice if there were some notification button. Alas.



Shaunaka said:
Anywayz my buddy who makes games is here and he says gamemaker for 2d and Unity for 3d is the way to go.

I know (i really, really do) that getting used to new tools isn't easy, but it is absolutely essential. If you are serious then join a blog or something. If not - then

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AleksanderAdamkiewicz/20120703/173489/No_You_Cant_Make_Video_Games.php

Just joking :P

Thanks for the help.

that's Shokio in the pic.



I think if you are interested in game designing you need to learn some more coding like CSS,HTML or PHP.Also you have to learn some designing tools which are important in designing computer games and animations.With this much knowledge you can easily develop some awesome games and  can go ahead with more inventions.