By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The darkside of Steam sales.

Do you think Steam sales are making the developers avoid PC

Yes 18 14.52%

No 67 54.03%

Maybe some of them 33 26.61%

See the results 5 4.03%

Total:123
biglittlesps said:

Steam is heaven for Indies and but hell (hurting by changing the mentality of the most consumers to buy the game at sale which is bad) for AAA and AA games which has big budgets/development time and giving problems to Game Consoles which is keeping the industry alive with their R and D and First party studios but Steam is doing nothing other than helping indies for Downloadable content in PC but hurting retailers, AAA/AA developers, publishers, Console makers and gamers who wants AA/AAA games.

I'd agree that Steam is heaven for indies, but it's also hell because if they're not on Steam not as many people will buy their games

Squeezol's Fanclub Member? is that how it works?

Why can't I hold all these no gaemz?

Always looking to improve my awful drawings ;_; 

Around the Network

My main issue with Steam sales is that the super cheap games make my back log of games never ending lol.

Seriously, Its just too easy to pirate a game on PC. On consoles its much harder to pirate a game compared to PC. I was on date with a girl recently and she was also a gamer. We were talking about games and I ask her how and where she buys her games, and she said well I don't them I just download them. That conversation right there outlines the how problem your talking about here, its just not realistic to expect people to pay 60 dollars for a game when you can get it off some torrent site within like 24 hours after it releases for free.

Its about the economy your in. On PC its a market where you have to charge less to sale your product in great quantities to make a decent profit otherwise people will not buy it. On console, you can sell less units and still make the same profile as a cheaper PC game because of the ability to charge 60 dollars. Which is why I always laugh when there is some PC elitist bragging about how Steam sales are so great and yet I know that the developers of those games won't get a sale if they dare charge more for their game.

The piracy boogeyman should be left alone by now.

I wouldn't pay for majority of the games at 50% off.
It's not like gamers have unlimited monies.

Akiran said:
biglittlesps said:

Steam is heaven for Indies and but hell (hurting by changing the mentality of the most consumers to buy the game at sale which is bad) for AAA and AA games which has big budgets/development time and giving problems to Game Consoles which is keeping the industry alive with their R and D and First party studios but Steam is doing nothing other than helping indies for Downloadable content in PC but hurting retailers, AAA/AA developers, publishers, Console makers and gamers who wants AA/AAA games.

I'd agree that Steam is heaven for indies, but it's also hell because if they're not on Steam not as many people will buy their games

Yep, the steam success is mostly depend on tricking the users to buy games at cheap regardless of whether they really want that game or not just get that game beacuse its so cheap which is bad thing for gaming, because cosumers spending money on games that really dont play( increasing their backlog), they are paying money to the developers(these developers make quick buck even though they did not deserve the money as the consumer not sure whether they like the game) even if they dont like/love their game and doing just for the sake of cheap price instead of paying full price for the developer who deserve because they love/like it.

Also every PC gamer think that they are paying less money for same game with better graphics which is availble on Consoles(hurting consoles and the gamers who purchase them), but in reality PC doesn't produce many AAA experiences like Consoles and hassle free gaming without manual control of patches/drivers installs/config for computer noobs which is keeping a segment of gamers away from the gaming and doesn't create jobs. 

Steam is good and there for indie/F2P developers and Valve to earn money but its not moving the gaming industry.

Consoles are there for moving the industry with innovation in hardware, software, technologies, gaming and create jobs for many people around the world(retailers, distributers, publishers etc.,).

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Ka-pi96 said:
It seems to be damaging for big budget games with people prefering to wait for sales.
However steam sales are undoubtedly great for smaller games, allowing them to sell much better than they otherwise would have.

Steam is really great for Idies but only benefit better with Sales. Steam should have some regulations for Multiplatform AAA/AA games otherwise its gonna hurt those games very much with their sales. As we seen so many AAA studios has been shut off recently and they are moving to Indie like studios. If this keeps continuing then there will not be another console in future (consoles are there for AAA games, if there aren't developers who make them by pushing the hardware to create big worlds and excellent visuals along with innovation in gameplay mechnaincs then there is no need for a consoles and High end GPU's as well because Cosnoles are the one who is driving the AAA games). Basic GPUs like those in Intel processors and Mobiles are just enough for those Indies and F2P which has huge install base. 

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Around the Network

You lack a fundamental understanding of why Steam does sales. The reason Valve pushes for incredible Steam sales is because they are currently experimenting with a market phenomenon. Everytime they put something on sale, the game begins to generate more money after the sale than before it, even though they are being sold at the same price. Valve does not do Steam sales with the intentions of giving away games for charity, it does it so it can attract attention to games with stagnated sales. The idea is that if Friend #1 buys Borderlands 2 on sale and ends up loving the game, they will push Friend #2 or Friend #3 to buy the game at regular price after the sale. Compare this to the used games market for consoles, where tons of games are displayed for used and are far to high in number to receive specialized attention. By selectively choosing different games at different times every week and every day of a sale, Steam can put certain games at the forefront of a customer's attention and remind them "oh hey, I remember wanting to play that."

It's a technique that I wish more in the industry would come to realize is extremely effective at selling older, forgotten games rather than them them sit and rot on store shelves.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

theshonen8899 said:

You lack a fundamental understanding of why Steam does sales. The reason Valve pushes for incredible Steam sales is because they are currently experimenting with a market phenomenon. Everytime they put something on sale, the game begins to generate more money after the sale than before it, even though they are being sold at the same price. Valve does not do Steam sales with the intentions of giving away games for charity, it does it so it can attract attention to games with stagnated sales. The idea is that if Friend #1 buys Borderlands 2 on sale and ends up loving the game, they will push Friend #2 or Friend #3 to buy the game at regular price after the sale. Compare this to the used games market for consoles, where tons of games are displayed for used and are far to high in number to receive specialized attention. By selectively choosing different games at different times every week and every day of a sale, Steam can put certain games at the forefront of a customer's attention and remind them "oh hey, I remember wanting to play that."

It's a technique that I wish more in the industry would come to realize is extremely effective at selling older, forgotten games rather than them them sit and rot on store shelves.

I dont think PC generated more Money for AAA games(may be for indies) in sales better than Consoles. Also if a friend buys the game at sale then their friends will also wait for that sale mostly and not going to buy at full price unless the game is excellent one (if it was already an excellent would be selling after reviews and word of mouth so no need for trying attention unless its a poor/mediacore game and making that good game in sales like its worth to buy at normal price which is not going happen mostly). I've seen many people who thinks that buy games from steam only when there is a sale. Their trick is making gamers to wait for sales which is the truth and its not giving more attention. 

This technique is best for very old games but not a year + game which steam is doing and hurting the game sales in consoles for multiplatforms.

1. PC is getting more support form major publishers than ever before. Even Japanese publishes that have traditionally completely ignored the PC are now bringing their titles over such as Namco Bandai. And several publishers are now putting out PC exclusive titles such as EA, Sega, Activision-Blizard, Ubisoft, Take-2, Warner Brothers Interactive,  Square Enix, Deep Silver, Pardox Interactive, Stardock, Devolver Digital and 505 Games all have PC exclusive titles announced.

2. Valve have said repeatedly that data shows usually sales after a major sale are higher than those before.

3. Valve also said overall revenue from sales is much higher due to unit sales often getting as much as 100X higher during sales. Overall revenue is more important than per unit margins.

4. Steam revenue in 2013 was up 79% YoY compared to 2012, with a 30% rise in users. Which means that spending per user was up YoY.

5. Participating in sales is 100% optional, and publishers/developers set the prices and discounts.

6. Console sales being front-loaded isn't all positive, with a Sale on PC you can drive sales of a 15 year old game with no investment. Which leads to a healthier back catalog sales.

7. Despite 149 titles being discounted on Steam, 8 of the top ten sellers are not discounted. Only 1 of the top 5 is discounted. And the top 3 aren't discounted.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:

1. PC is getting more support form major publishers than ever before. Even Japanese publishes that have traditionally completely ignored the PC are now bringing their titles over such as Namco Bandai. And several publishers are now putting out PC exclusive titles such as EA, Sega, Activision-Blizard, Ubisoft, Take-2, Warner Brothers Interactive,  Square Enix, Deep Silver, Pardox Interactive, Stardock, Devolver Digital and 505 Games all have PC exclusive titles announced.

2. Valve have said repeatedly that data shows usually sales after a major sale are higher than those before.

3. Valve also said overall revenue from sales is much higher due to unit sales often getting as much as 100X higher during sales. Overall revenue is more important than per unit margins.

4. Steam revenue in 2013 was up 79% YoY compared to 2012, with a 30% rise in users. Which means that spending per user was up YoY.

5. Participating in sales is 100% optional, and publishers/developers set the prices and discounts.

6. Console sales being front-loaded isn't all positive, with a Sale on PC you can drive sales of a 15 year old game with no investment. Which leads to a healthier back catalog sales.

How many new PC exclusive titles are AAA experiences with new IP's and single player focus? So, without sales trick(its good for short term but its going to make big impact on mentality of the consumers in the long run) they can't generate the money for develpers right?

On consoles there's PS+ games, which hardly make developers money.
As well as the Used game market being much more prevalent on consoles as well.

Hell, on console I bought GTAV new and then sold it on ebay for 57 bucks 2 weeks later. And I use consoles to rent games I don't want to buy on PC.
Not that I'm representative of everyone.

The PC market, has steam sales and more piracy. But no Used games.

It's not an apples to apples comparison.
And until either side finds numbers of both sides. The arguments are just going to be circular.
There are certain games that do better on consoles and certain games that do better on PC.