Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A biased review: Yoshi's New Island

That was surprisingly generous.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:

Please elaborate.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

"Sounds" like a good enough game.

RolStoppable said:
Salnax said:

Please elaborate.

Reviews for this game have been generally poor around the board, I have little confidence in the developer, and based on what you've said in the past about platformers (you've mentioned the American slow platforming phenomenon before), I didn't think you'd give this game a review as positive as you gave. I haven't played this myself, so reading this makes me more likely to buy it eventually.

On a completely different note, was it you who recommended the Etrian Odyssey series to me a while back? Because I got IV a little while back, and have been really enjoying it. So thanks if you did.

Love and tolerate.

RolStoppable said:

Yoshi's Island DS (a good, but too difficult sequel to the SNES game; also too many brats to take care of) (...). It isn't a track record to be proud of, but Yoshi's New Island just so happens to be a follow-up to their best work.

I just watched this and it was funny how hard it looked.

Around the Network

Yeah it's as I thought. The game's pretty decent. Also, after seeing screenshots on Miiverse the graphics are growing on me a little. It looks a lot better in real-life and in 3D than the screenshots we saw here on the internet. I guess that's one of the more handy features of Miiverse. I'll buy this game sometime in the near future.

random15 said:
You are too biased.

Says you of all people

I expected the final score to be almost 2 points lower.

Really good review, covered everything we need to know with good examples. It gave me a good picture and idea of what the game will be like. I definitely want to play this now.

Also thank god it's not Yoshi's Island DS difficulty. That game was cruel.

Salnax said:

Reviews for this game have been generally poor around the board, I have little confidence in the developer, and based on what you've said in the past about platformers (you've mentioned the American slow platforming phenomenon before), I didn't think you'd give this game a review as positive as you gave. I haven't played this myself, so reading this makes me more likely to buy it eventually.

On a completely different note, was it you who recommended the Etrian Odyssey series to me a while back? Because I got IV a little while back, and have been really enjoying it. So thanks if you did.

I think this is yet another case of double standards of "professional" reviewers. There are so many sequels that are given a pass for not reinventing the wheel, yet when Nintendo publishes one, it gets heavily criticized. Then again, 3D Mario and Zelda get glowing reviews on a regular basis, so it's really selective bias. I suppose reviewers would like to see Nintendo make anything but 2D platformers.

As for my review, if somebody liked Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, then they can't really go wrong with this New game. It's not in the same league as the SNES title, but almost all of the things that matter are present. Music and boss fights are where the game is lacking, but otherwise it's good. In the end a sequel that plays it safe is certainly better than an experiment like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, especially if the development studio isn't particularly talented; better let them work with a blueprint.

I recommend Etrian Odyssey every time the subject comes up, so it was probably me or noname2200 (who is pretty much the only one similarly passionate about the series).

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club