By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Mario Kart Wii Thread

vanguardian1 said:
windbane said:
I'm rather disappointed that like Galaxy and Metroid Prime...and Zelda...Nintendo isn't improving the graphics much at all from the gamecube games. I wlll probably buy this game since Mario Kart is one of my favorite games, but the Wii just overal dissappoints me.

If they get the online right then I'll forgive the ugly graphics, because I so badly wanted online play for DD.

Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were beautiful, what are you talking about? And Zelda is, graphically, identical to the gamecube version (minus the widescreen difference). And if you're going to complain about Mario Kart's graphics, go take a look at Double Dash for a reminder. There's a nice level of difference between the two.

I enjoyed Galaxy, but it looked about the same as Sunshine. Look at the comparison video on gametrailers. As for MP3, I hope it looks better than the beginning of the game because so far it looks terrible compared to even mediocre PS3 shooters. I did not know that widescreen as added to the Wii Zelda. That's nice. I still need to play that but had MP3 higher on my list because I wanted to try the controls after trying to play MoH: H2, which I could not stand to play after CoD4, no matter what the contrlols were. While I'm ranting, though, I played Charged and that didn't look much better either. It's just disappointing, and I would have enjoyed that game more than the first if it had allowed me to use a gamecube controller. Look, I only care because I love these games. Mario Kart is probably my favorite racing game ever, altough I did really like Rock N' Roll Racing. I just wish the Wii was either more powerful and/or the developers were trying harder.

Around the Network

We should have a MK tournament! But snaking should be set to "auto"

windbane said:
vanguardian1 said:
windbane said:
I'm rather disappointed that like Galaxy and Metroid Prime...and Zelda...Nintendo isn't improving the graphics much at all from the gamecube games. I wlll probably buy this game since Mario Kart is one of my favorite games, but the Wii just overal dissappoints me.

If they get the online right then I'll forgive the ugly graphics, because I so badly wanted online play for DD.

Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were beautiful, what are you talking about? And Zelda is, graphically, identical to the gamecube version (minus the widescreen difference). And if you're going to complain about Mario Kart's graphics, go take a look at Double Dash for a reminder. There's a nice level of difference between the two.

I enjoyed Galaxy, but it looked about the same as Sunshine. Look at the comparison video on gametrailers. As for MP3, I hope it looks better than the beginning of the game because so far it looks terrible compared to even mediocre PS3 shooters. I did not know that widescreen as added to the Wii Zelda. That's nice. I still need to play that but had MP3 higher on my list because I wanted to try the controls after trying to play MoH: H2, which I could not stand to play after CoD4, no matter what the contrlols were. While I'm ranting, though, I played Charged and that didn't look much better either. It's just disappointing, and I would have enjoyed that game more than the first if it had allowed me to use a gamecube controller. Look, I only care because I love these games. Mario Kart is probably my favorite racing game ever, altough I did really like Rock N' Roll Racing. I just wish the Wii was either more powerful and/or the developers were trying harder.

You seem to be the type that appreciates more technical aspects of games (whereas I am just the opposite). Unfortunately, I don't think the Wii isn't powerful enough to give it the aspects of the game that you prefer, so from my perspective it may only be a secondary, or passable machine for you. For me it's my only "current gen" console, and may possibly stay that way (even though I was a PS1/PS2 gamer during the previous gens).

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

You really think Mp3 even looks close to an medocre Ps3 shooter? Far from it. IT look WORSE than a bad looking Ps3 shooter, but the Wii isn't for graphical power. I'm sorry that you didn't research properly before buing your console. Well, in 3-4 years, you'll have a new change.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
You really think Mp3 even looks close to an medocre Ps3 shooter? Far from it. IT look WORSE than a bad looking Ps3 shooter, but the Wii isn't for graphical power. I'm sorry that you didn't research properly before buing your console. Well, in 3-4 years, you'll have a new change.

I expected better than Gamecube graphics.  I knew it wasn't HD, so obviously I got the PS3 for that, but I'm just tired of the hypocrisy of Nintendo fanboys saying that the games are so much better looking on the Wii when they aren't.  It's like you have to say that to convince yourself.  For me, I'm just disappointed because I thought the Wii was as powerful as the Xbox but maybe I'm just forgetting how bad those games looked.

Thank you for admitting that MP3 doesn't look good compared to HD shooters.  I appreciate your honesty in that you aren't blind.  I do think art direction can do a lot but the experience of an FPS is greatly effected by graphics, so even in the control scheme is better than dual-analog (which with fine tuning it definitely is), I don't think those kinds of games will be a great overall experience on the Wii.  It's just that the pointer is the only thing that the Wii has over non-mouse supported PS3 games, but the other aspects of the genres can't show improvement.

As for buying the console, I haven't had a Nintendo console since SNES so I bought the 2 GC games I always wanted (MK: DD and Bomberman), and I can get some VC games when I don't want to just emulate them on my own.  I just hope that future titles innovate more because it seems to me that even Nintendo isn't taking full advantage of pointing.  Galaxy had you collect star bits,  but that's about it.  The Wii Wheel could be done with the PS3, because it's just motion, and except for driving games motion seems to just be used as a button replacement.  

Anyway, I do not regret my purchase because I did miss out on the Nintendo titles of the last few generations, and there are some that I love.   I just hope there is more improvement in future titles. 

Around the Network
vanguardian1 said:
windbane said:
vanguardian1 said:
windbane said:

You seem to be the type that appreciates more technical aspects of games (whereas I am just the opposite). Unfortunately, I don't think the Wii isn't powerful enough to give it the aspects of the game that you prefer, so from my perspective it may only be a secondary, or passable machine for you. For me it's my only "current gen" console, and may possibly stay that way (even though I was a PS1/PS2 gamer during the previous gens).

I think you are correct in your assessment.  There are a handful of games I really look forward to, MK included, and there's hope for future innovation, but it will continue to be my secondary console.  So many technical aspects effect gameplay, though, so it's unfortunate to me that you'll be missing out on a lot of game innovation on the other consoles if you stick to just a Wii.  But hey, as long as you're having fun, good for you. 

pre ordered my copy and now I just need to wait for stores to take pre orders for Wii Fit.

windbane said:

I think you are correct in your assessment.  There are a handful of games I really look forward to, MK included, and there's hope for future innovation, but it will continue to be my secondary console.  So many technical aspects effect gameplay, though, so it's unfortunate to me that you'll be missing out on a lot of game innovation on the other consoles if you stick to just a Wii.  But hey, as long as you're having fun, good for you. 

It's simply matters of taste and change. While I was a PS1/2 gamer the previous generations, the lack of broadband and a lack of interest for media center capabilities are definitely not helping my interests in the PS3 and 360 platforms, and the lack of online gaming means that same-console multiplayer is MUCH more important to me. Also being a PC gamer I won't touch a FPS or RTS with a gamepad. So far however, between both the PS3 and 360 I have about 8 games on my wishlist that are out or will be released by the end of the year. I own more Wii games than that already (and have a few marked for the bargain bin, like Battalion Wars 2) and look forward to just as many more new ones this year on the Wii also (Mario Kart Wii and Tales of Symphonia 2 are my biggest). It's just a difference in our gaming habits, nothing majorly troublesome. :) Oh, and just to clarify : Armored Core 4 Armored Core 4 For Answer Disgaea 3 Eternal Sonata Infinite Undiscovery Soul Cailbur 4 Tales of Vesperia Valkyrie of the Battlefield Those are the games I'd like for HD platforms. I know I'm a niche gamer, but even more-so now with FPS and a few others having such an online focus. :( (very disappointed in Cod4, was a *big* fan of Cod1/UO/Cod2)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

For people who were afraid of the price of another Wii Wheel, worry no more! The answer is here

Wii Wheel Price: 11 dollars. 6 Pound, and assumably, 9 Euros.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=183608

More information for Battle Mode! We already knew 10 stages, and there were rumours about 4 players online. Unfortunately, I will have to tell you that these rumours are not true.

There will only be 4 courses, and 4 players.

Aha, was frightened for a second there? Not used to me messing around, only giving out straight facts. Well, not this time. Anyway, for the straight out facts:

10 stages: 8 Characters.

http://www.jeux-france.com/news24790_mario-kart-wii-battle-a-8.html 

That's the link, but honestly, I don't know French, so I had a hard time reading it. Anyway, for the picture:

Notice how there are 8 characters on the battle map? There also seems to be multiple levels (as in different levels of height) just like in Block Fort (MK64 and MKDS)

Judging by some of the replies (again, I'm horrible at french), there will be no split-screen, but I would prefer someone else to read and check if that is what they actually say.

This site also says that the total multiplayer is 1-16, which is odd.

http://www.jeux-france.com/news21694_mario-kart-wii-jusqu-a-16-en-ligne.html This is the link to where they say that.

So if someone who understands french could translate, that would be awesome

Hmm, that also confirms teams. And if you wonder, I believe that is online since there are letters over the drivers, why would they have Bowser standing over Bowser?