By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you have questions about Russia - come here! (Poll added!)

Di you like Russia?

Yes, I love it! 218 35.68%

No, I hate it. 144 23.57%

Russia is strange... 130 21.28%

Don't know yet, curious ... 67 10.97%

Don't know and don't care. 45 7.36%

Total:604
dovus said:
Sharu said:
dovus said:

As he bans every independent candidate/party from taking part in election.

This is simply not true.

Were there any independent parties in last Duma elections? I havent found any in the bulletin.

Yeah well, search communist party or zhirinovsky)) He's a funny guy.

Around the Network
Augen said:
Is there any concern that if this sort of precedent is set provinces all around the world could point to it as legitimate way to leave a country, join a country or found a new new nation? For example, the Basques in Spain. Could we see a new tactic of acquiring resources and land by immigration and elections along border regions?

In my point of view, there is - Caucasus. Russian government pumps tons of money into its development to make it loyal and stop separatists. It can not last forever, one day we will have the choice - start new war or leave that territory.

Sharu said:
NewGuy said:
Which american products are popular in Russia?

Maybe Coca-cola )) Movies, some music. I can't think of something else really, maybe KFC and Burger King )))

Apple, android, google, mcdonalds, windows, xbox, steam?

Xbox sucks, PlayStation all the way!!

how are russian women so hot?! that's probably "racist" but,.. daaamn.

i'm a travel bug and russia is in my top 5 places i'd like to go. suggestions on the "best of" list for russia? as an english/spanish only speaker how well can i get around? ...i get the impression that, like most of the world these days, russia is pretty english friendly.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

i'm a travel bug and russia is in my top 5 places i'd like to go. suggestions on the "best of" list for russia? as an english/spanish only speaker how well can i get around? ...i get the impression that, like most of the world these days, russia is pretty english friendly.

Not so much. If you get lucky, you'll meet english talking citizens. But overal, 90% of russians don't know any language except Russian. Kinda shame :(((

kitler53 said:

the uggos are kept inside or sent to work in camps

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

KingofTrolls said:
Is it easy or not to live in Russia? I mean work, unemployment, wages, price levels in stores, taxation, law, etc.

I think as everywhere. Somebody are lucky, somebody are not. Some regions are in big problems, some are much better.

Well at least now is mostly easy to find a job if you can do something. Unemploiment is quite low. Problem with jobs are because its a LOT of people with a diplomas of economists/lawyers, but not so much working places for them. If you can work with you hands - you can always get enough money for a living.

Average wages are around 1000 USD/month. In big cities - much more, in the countryside - much less. Taxation is very easy - we have income tax of 13% - and that is all you care about. And even those taxes are calculated by your company. So in Russia if somebody tells you his salary - its usually 'clear money' after all the taxes.

Prices are hard to compare directly. Something is cheap, something is expensive - they differ very much.

Law... Its hard to say. I don't break it. And only time I spoke to police was when I get very drunk (i was 17 years old) and passed on the street. ))) They took me to local police station, waited until i start speaking and understanding something, give me a glass of tea, asked if i could go home by myself and let me go. ))) 
Usually policemen on the streets are friendly. 

To live is not hard really. Education is quite cheap, High education is free if you good enough or you can pay smth like 500-1000 USD per half a year, if you go by payed education.
Its hard to buy yourself a flat in big cities - and its a real problem. But I think its more or less the same everywhere for the youngmen! )

NewGuy said:
Sharu said:
NewGuy said:
Which american products are popular in Russia?

Maybe Coca-cola )) Movies, some music. I can't think of something else really, maybe KFC and Burger King )))

Apple, android, google, mcdonalds, windows, xbox, steam?

Apple - apple fans do not get much respect among youth. 
Android - popular

Google - not really, Yandex is more popular
MCDonalds - popular

Windows - everyone uses it and hates it

Xbox - the majority of russian gamers play on PC (so do I), but xbox is a bit more popular then ps3 as it was hacked earlier

Steam - its popularity is growing, but level of piracy stays too high, however

Putin said:
kitler53 said:

Not so much. If you get lucky, you'll meet english talking citizens. But overal, 90% of russians don't know any language except Russian. Kinda shame :(((

doesn't really matter if only 10% speak english so long as those 10% are working the tourist districts and public transit ticket booths.   i mean, places like cambodia was a breeze for me to travel and it's not because a majority of the citizens speak english.   ..just that they do have an infrastructure that is very tourist friendly.