By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you have questions about Russia - come here! (Poll added!)

Di you like Russia?

Yes, I love it! 218 35.68%

No, I hate it. 144 23.57%

Russia is strange... 130 21.28%

Don't know yet, curious ... 67 10.97%

Don't know and don't care. 45 7.36%

Total:604
Scisca said:

Your comment only proves that we, weaker countries, always tend to hate our imperialistic neighbors. For example, nowadays in Latin America there are a lot of anti-American governments because the US imperialistic actions caused a lot of trouble here, taking possession of our resources, organizing coups, etc. 

But, I don't hate the American people, I have a lot of friends over there. Besides it's not fair to make them responsible for what their government has done.  

Around the Network
Sharu said:
kowenicki said:
How did those oligarchs get away with stealing all the assets of the russian people? I mean, obviously they paid corrupt politicians or were friends of theirs... but why did the russian people roll over and accept it?

Its a hard question. When they was stealing the country our people was cheated by our authorities, and then was too weak. You know, when your main problem is where to get money for food - you don't think about politics. 90s was a very hard times for our country. Then in the start of 2000 everything start getting better. And still getting better - maybe not so good as we want but still! )

In Russia, do you see the world as split into major powers, i.e EU, USA, RUSSIA and China? Or do Russians think more like US citizen i.e they are the best in the world and only the US is powerfu.

EU - Population: 450 Million - GDP: 16.584 trillion $

USA - Population: 315 Million - GDP: 15.68 trillion $

Russia - Population: 145 million - GDP: 2.015 trillion $

China - Population: 1.351 billion - GDP:8.227 trillion $

Is it possible that Russia wants to shake things up? I would also like to point out, that you stated that those eastern European countries were always under the Russian empire. Well empires fall and things change. Scot means Irish in Latin, but you don't see the Irish claiming Scotland because we lost it thousands of years ago. Vlad seems to want Russia to return to the dark days of old, and for me, I feel like maybe that should concern you?

Also, don't be too concerned with the view of Russia in western Minds. Below I have included a picture of Ireland in US movies and then a view of Ireland in reality. Even more interesting is, that Ireland is a western country home to 9 out of the 10 biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world and home to facebook, google, yahoo, msn, linkedin.....etc..... But you know....Horses and buddies.

Hello Dresses

Dublin, Ireland in the Movies and the US view of it

Reality of Dublin that people don't want to know about

An Irish road in the mind of our western comrades. There are roads like this but in the butthole of nowhere, where tourists may drive to see a castle

And then the roads people actually drive on.

People from certain countries will always run down others, because it gives them the false sense of security that they actually need to be fake happy.

lehamsy said:
Scisca said:

Your comment only proves that we, weaker countries, always tend to hate our imperialistic neighbors. For example, nowadays in Latin America there are a lot of anti-American governments because the US imperialistic actions caused a lot of trouble here, taking possession of our resources, organizing coups, etc. 

But, I don't hate the American people, I have a lot of friends over there. Besides it's not fair to make them responsible for what their government has done.  

People, people, Poland is the major Europen power some 400 years ago (effecitvely world power at the time). If history would have taken slightly different turn there would be Rzecz Pospolita not only "od morza do morza" but "od oceanu do oceanu". Burdern of an Empire is heavy, Poland, you don't need it. Though must admit it has it redeeming qualities.

http://rt.com/business/160068-china-russia-gas-deal/

Looks like Putin got next ,, pobeda ( победа) " in his victorys collection.

Also they will not use US dollar as currency.

KingofTrolls said:
http://rt.com/business/160068-china-russia-gas-deal/

Looks like Putin got next ,, pobeda ( победа) " in his victorys collection.

Also they will not use US dollar as currency.

They even drank some vodka after signing a contract! Sadly, no bears with balalaika.

Around the Network
cfin2987@gmail.com said:
Sharu said:
kowenicki said:
How did those oligarchs get away with stealing all the assets of the russian people? I mean, obviously they paid corrupt politicians or were friends of theirs... but why did the russian people roll over and accept it?

Its a hard question. When they was stealing the country our people was cheated by our authorities, and then was too weak. You know, when your main problem is where to get money for food - you don't think about politics. 90s was a very hard times for our country. Then in the start of 2000 everything start getting better. And still getting better - maybe not so good as we want but still! )

In Russia, do you see the world as split into major powers, i.e EU, USA, RUSSIA and China? Or do Russians think more like US citizen i.e they are the best in the world and only the US is powerfu.

EU - Population: 450 Million - GDP: 16.584 trillion $

USA - Population: 315 Million - GDP: 15.68 trillion $

Russia - Population: 145 million - GDP: 2.015 trillion $

China - Population: 1.351 billion - GDP:8.227 trillion $

Is it possible that Russia wants to shake things up? I would also like to point out, that you stated that those eastern European countries were always under the Russian empire. Well empires fall and things change. Scot means Irish in Latin, but you don't see the Irish claiming Scotland because we lost it thousands of years ago. Vlad seems to want Russia to return to the dark days of old, and for me, I feel like maybe that should concern you?

Also, don't be too concerned with the view of Russia in western Minds. Below I have included a picture of Ireland in US movies and then a view of Ireland in reality. Even more interesting is, that Ireland is a western country home to 9 out of the 10 biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world and home to facebook, google, yahoo, msn, linkedin.....etc..... But you know....Horses and buddies.

1. Yes, I think the common position is that a world have some superpowers like USA, EU, China and Russia and a lot of important regional powers.
2. A lot of people in Russia don't treat Soviet/Tzar times as a 'dark days'. Our 'dark days' are from 1989 till say 2004. So it doesn't concern me if my country will be stronger from economic and political point of view. I'll applaud it.
3. I'm not concerned with a 'western view' of Russia. I've spoken with a lot of Norwegean/English guys in real life and i know its not so simple as in movies. 
I mostly made this thread to speak with a people from other countries DIRECTLY (need to put an Iwata pic here) and to practice my English.

Who do Russians consider helping them found their nation? I hope most believe the Vikings were the main driving force into establishing Russia as a powerhouse and clearing the river trade routes of barbarians...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_people

"The Chuds, the Slavs, the Krivichs and the Veps then said to the Rus, "Our land is great and rich, but there is no order in it. Come reign as princes, rule over us". Three brothers, with their kinfolk, were selected. They brought with them all the Rus and migrated."

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Below I have included a picture of Ireland in US movies and then a view of Ireland in reality. Even more interesting is, that Ireland is a western country home to 9 out of the 10 biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world and home to facebook, google, yahoo, msn, linkedin.....etc..... But you know....Horses and buddies.

All this Irish / Dublin pride and no mention of the Vikings?  The Vikings established Dublin and turned into a major trade city.

sethnintendo said:

Who do Russians consider helping them found their nation? I hope most believe the Vikings were the main driving force into establishing Russia as a powerhouse and clearing the river trade routes of barbarians...

"The Chuds, the Slavs, the Krivichs and the Veps then said to the Rus, "Our land is great and rich, but there is no order in it. Come reign as princes, rule over us". Three brothers, with their kinfolk, were selected. They brought with them all the Rus and migrated."

Its one of the theories. Its some evidences that Rurik, founder of Tzar dynasty was not outlander but a grandchild of previous 'russian' rulers, and thats why he was invited. In any case its stupid to mix 'Russia' and 'Russian nation' since hystorycally people of different nationalities was living on territory of Russian State without any troubles thru all its hystory.

Sharu said:
sethnintendo said:

Its one of the theories. Its some evidences that Rurik, founder of Tzar dynasty was not outlander but a grandchild of previous 'russian' rulers, and thats why he was invited. In any case its stupid to mix 'Russia' and 'Russian nation' since hystorycally people of different nationalities was living on territory of Russian State without any troubles thru all its hystory.

My point was that Vikings brought order which allowed Russia to develop as a nation.  A nation can't prosper without order.  The Russian name came from the Rus people.  The Rus were Vikings.  Tons of different ethnic races shared the land now known as Russia but it wasn't till The Rus in which a true nation formed.