By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Trine 2 look better than Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze?

Does it? Why?

Yes 92 42.59%

NO 82 37.96%

See Results 35 16.20%

Other ( post below) 7 3.24%

Total:216
HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:
Well, DKCTF looks more or less like DKCR when running on Dolphin

Except that TF has higher resolution textures, fur shading, improved water effects, more layered and detailed backdrops.

Uhm, hence my more or less part, of course there are things that are improved, it's just not enough IMO.

BTW, that Dolphin sceenshot looks particulary bad, it doesn't seem to have Force Texture Filtering enabled in emulator. Watch this in 1080p and see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXzvTKeHuyY

The lighting and scenery is DKCR is still somewhat flat compared to TF.

The real issue is that while DKCR pushed the Wii, TF does not push Wii U.

Around the Network

I skipped DKCR on the Wii but I grabbed it for 3DS. I'm totally confident that a 3DS port of DKC:TF is totally possible on the 3DS. Like I said, aside from the characters, it's not a showcase.

d21lewis said:
I skipped DKCR on the Wii but I grabbed it for 3DS. I'm totally confident that a 3DS port of DKC:TF is totally possible on the 3DS. Like I said, aside from the characters, it's not a showcase.

DKCR only ran on 3DS with a halved framerate and sacrificed detail. Tropical  Freeze would need to  be heavily re-engineered to run on 3DS.

curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:

DKCR only ran on 3DS with a halved framerate and sacrificed detail. Tropical  Freeze would need to  be heavily re-engineered to run on 3DS.

Guess I didn't notice because I never played the source.  DKCR on 3DS is still beautiful (screenshots won't do it justice) and I was actually pretty shocked how closely it compared to the Wii U game.

I guess you're right though.  Sacrifices would have to be made.  Character models, framerate and resolution obviously.  Maybe some other stuff like textures.  I'm not one of those "tech guys" so I don't know. I still think it could be done on 3DS and still be a faithful to the Wii U version.

d21lewis said:
curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:

Guess I didn't notice because I never played the source.  DKCR on 3DS is still beautiful (screenshots won't do it justice) and I was actually pretty shocked how closely it compared to the Wii U game.

I guess you're right though.  Sacrifices would have to be made.  Character models, framerate and resolution obviously.  Maybe some other stuff like textures.  I'm not one of those "tech guys" so I don't know. I still think it could be done on 3DS and still be a faithful to the Wii U version.

It would take a huge amount of rejigging though, since even the Wii one had to be reworked. I'm not even sure it'd be worth the hassle in the end.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:
curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:

It would take a huge amount of rejigging though, since even the Wii one had to be reworked. I'm not even sure it'd be worth the hassle in the end.

So you're sayin Nintendo can't get jiggy with it? :'(

curl-6 said:
supernihilist said:
wow im surprised ppl saying Trine2 by far..
obviously has more detail and flashy visuals, but technically DK looks like a much more complex game, running at 60fps and doing more things per frame

"More things per frame" such as? Trine 2 Wii U is doing more lighting, more shaders, more shadowing, higher res textures, better AA...

more and better animated polygons running at twice the frames

supernihilist said:
curl-6 said:
supernihilist said:
wow im surprised ppl saying Trine2 by far..
obviously has more detail and flashy visuals, but technically DK looks like a much more complex game, running at 60fps and doing more things per frame

"More things per frame" such as? Trine 2 Wii U is doing more lighting, more shaders, more shadowing, higher res textures, better AA...

more and better animated polygons running at twice the frames

Tropical Freeze doesn't seem any higher poly than Trine 2 in my view. Animation is certainly more stylish in DK, but I don't think it's more technically advanced, given that Trine 2's characters have ragdoll physics.

In the end, I think its a matter of Trine 2 being a 30fps game that prioritises graphics above all else, and DK being a 60fps game built on a Wii engine that prioritises gameplay over graphics.

Without a doubt.