By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What about the chinese ?

SamuelRSmith said:
The ban has only been lifted in some districts of Shanghai, not all across China.

Basically, China is "experimenting" with a free trade area in Shanghai, trying to mimic the success of Hong Kong and Guangzhou. Can't have a free trade area with lots of banned shit.

okay.. so it's not entire china..  that made it... lot smaller.. do you now when shanghai ban officiel was/are lifted ?  and if they talked about hole china to follow

Around the Network

Not happening anytime soon. Wouldn't be surprised if the first consoles sold there are at the very end of this gen or even next gen.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

PC centric country plus almost everyone pirates their games. China is not going to be a big market for consoles like South Korea, even if China has a bigger population.

FromDK said:
SamuelRSmith said:
The ban has only been lifted in some districts of Shanghai, not all across China.

Basically, China is "experimenting" with a free trade area in Shanghai, trying to mimic the success of Hong Kong and Guangzhou. Can't have a free trade area with lots of banned shit.

okay.. so it's not entire china..  that made it... lot smaller.. do you now when shanghai ban officiel was/are lifted ?  and if they talked about hole china to follow

Been since the start of the year, will continue for as long as the "experiment" does. Whether or not it gets extended across China depends on how well the Government feels like their experiment went. Either way, it wouldn't be the whole of China at once, they would slowly introduce it across cities.

Whomever does MMOs and FTP games the best will have an advantage.

Around the Network

There are tons of black market and ripoff hardware there.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

The importance of the console ban in China has been overstated. I lived in a small town in central China and I was able to buy a PS3 within days of the US launch in multiple shops. Same with the Wii and Xbox 360.

The thing that still had to happen in China is for someone to try and overcome the massive PC gaming culture and I'm not sure i can see that happening any time soon.

i cant speak chinese ;(

I'm Chinese. My country has banned TV consoles and games for the past few decades. But gamers here just buy the smuggled consoles from the personal vendors, mostly Japanese edition, then American edition, little European edition.

Yes now there's a free-trade experiment area in Shanghai, so we can import consoles legally. Microsoft has confirmed the copyrighted Xbox One for China will come at October this year. Sony is doing action now, only Nintendo has no messages.

But in my opinion, that probably won't make much contribution to the sales number. For consoles, if we begin to buy copyrighted consoles, we'll also stop buying the smuggled ones. For softwares, the problems seem more serious.

1. There's no ESRB rating mechanism in China, most games such as COD, BattleField, GTA, God of War, won't be adopted by the approving authorities. If we get the consoles with little games, why we should buy that? I will prefer the smuggled ones.

2. Most gamers (but not all) here have been playing pirate softwares for the last few generations. They are used to that and not think it's their fault. This habit is not easy to change for them. Even enough copyrighted and localized games are given, maybe the sales will still be embarrassing.

3. Like other areas in the world, the mobile is more and more popular here, the kids now know iPhone and iPad, but they may not know what a PS4, a Xbox, a WiiU is.

The ice is broken, but the pains formed in decades will need another decades to ease.

blackcat said:

I'm Chinese. My country has banned TV consoles and games for the past few decades. But gamers here just buy the smuggled consoles from the personal vendors, mostly Japanese edition, then American edition, little European edition.

Yes now there's a free-trade experiment area in Shanghai, so we can import consoles legally. Microsoft has confirmed the licensed Xbox One for China will come at October this year. Sony is doing action now, only Nintendo has no messages.

But in my opinion, that probably won't make much contribution to the sales number. For consoles, if we begin to buy licensed console, we also stop buying the smuggled ones. For softwares, the problems seem more serious.

1. There's no ESRB rating mechanism in China, most games such as COD, BattleField, GTA, God of War, won't be adopted by the approving authorities. If we get the consoles with little games, why we should buy that? I will prefer the smuggled ones.

2. Most gamers (but not all) here have been playing pirate softwares for the last few generations. They are used to that and not think it's their fault. This habit is not easy to change for them. Even enough licensed and localized games are given, maybe the sales will still be embarrassing.

3. Like other areas in the world, the mobile is more and more popular here, the kids now know iPhone and iPad, but they may not know what a PS4, a Xbox, a WiiU is.

The ice is broken, but the pains formed in decades will need another decades to ease.

Thanks for the info.. may not be that big after all.. but nice to see that there are plans to entering china