By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What If N64 Didn't Have Cartridges?

???

Nintendoom 8 11.11%

Nintenotdoom 20 27.78%

Nintendoom, because every... 11 15.28%

Nintenotdoom, because Nintendo is doing fine 15 20.83%

Nintenuetral 16 22.22%

Total:70
zorg1000 said:
If it used regular CD than I believe it would have been the market leader that gen. Final Fantasy would have probably remained Nintendo exclusive, games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid would perhaps been multiplat.

Basically I see it as N64=SNES, PS1=Genesis, Saturn=PC Engine

N64 would win America & Japan while PS1 would win Europe & Others so it may have been a close battle with Saturn a distant 3rd but having decent sales in Japan and possibly beating PS1 there.

Now if Satan had a good architecture and had good support from Sega along with N64 using disk... That would have been the most competitive gen ever.

Edit: Satan?! I meant Saturn. Keeping that...

Around the Network

Spyro and Crash would have still been on PlayStation.

What else?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:

What else?

I guess devs would say the PS1 can't handle their games since their making N64 games...

Nintentacle said:
Serious_frusting said:

What else?

I guess devs would say the PS1 can't handle their games since their making N64 games...

You also need to understand Nintendo were like Nanzi's to 3rd parties compared to sony at the time. Why do you think even today they still do ot trust nintendo?

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:
Nintentacle said:
Serious_frusting said:

What else?

You also need to understand Nintendo were like Nanzi's to 3rd parties compared to sony at the time. Why do you think even today they still do ot trust nintendo?

That didn't stop SNES from getting great 3rd party support, did it?

Around the Network
Nintentacle said:
Serious_frusting said:
Nintentacle said:
Serious_frusting said:

What else?

Snes was not out when PS1 was out.

also snes did not take europe. Megadrive did. Each console had its own games. PS1 stole 3rd parties from both. 

intendo was the hitler of the gaming world. They saved it so they thought they could do what they want. FF7 did not go the PlayStation because nintendo were so nice. and if you believe the sory about disks vs carts for 1 2nd you are silly.

Like it still had the slot, but no games?

I don't think that would've worked out very well.

The CD technology wasn't owned by Sony and some other companies? If the Playstation was a revenge against them, they wouldn't allowed Nintendo to use it. But in the case that would happened, the world we know now might be completely different, although the PS1 it was dominating even before N64 released, so maybe not THAT different.

we would lose in the big picture

the fact that N64 resulted a mess forced Nintendo and Co. like Rare to put up amazing games in order to atract atention which resulted beneficial for us gamers

we wouldve had better 3rd party support though

Serious_frusting said:
Nintentacle said:
Serious_frusting said:
Nintentacle said:
Serious_frusting said:

What else?

Snes was not out when PS1 was out.

also snes did not take europe. Megadrive did. Each console had its own games. PS1 stole 3rd parties from both. 

intendo was the hitler of the gaming world. They saved it so they thought they could do what they want. FF7 did not go the PlayStation because nintendo were so nice. and if you believe the sory about disks vs carts for 1 2nd you are silly.

I think you're missing my point... The SNES still had great 3rd party support even when Nintendo wasn't as nice as Sega was. N64 was more powerful, launched after the main competition, and had a big Mario game at launch like the SNES. The thing different is that you could have more content for games on the PS1 becuase of the disk, which killed of 3rd party support for the N64 (And GameCube)