By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What If N64 Didn't Have Cartridges?

???

Nintendoom 8 11.11%

Nintenotdoom 20 27.78%

Nintendoom, because every... 11 15.28%

Nintenotdoom, because Nintendo is doing fine 15 20.83%

Nintenuetral 16 22.22%

Total:70

But GameCube still had the mini disk, and Wii and Wii U were weaker than the competition. Every handheld stays the same too. Maybe FFVII would have been on the N64...

Around the Network

But.. But... Zero loading times :/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

This site must have zero loading times for you! Another first comment!

Wasn't the whole reason FFVII went to playstation was cartridgre issues?

I am sorry... but it is time to move on...

ironmanDX said:

This site must have zero loading times for you! Another first comment!

Wasn't the whole reason FFVII went to playstation was cartridgre issues?

I think so.

Around the Network

It would have been interesting because the processor, levels of RAM and built in graphic tools took a big
turd over the Playstation.

If it used regular CD than I believe it would have been the market leader that gen. Final Fantasy would have probably remained Nintendo exclusive, games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid would perhaps been multiplat.

Basically I see it as N64=SNES, PS1=Genesis, Saturn=PC Engine

N64 would win America & Japan while PS1 would win Europe & Others so it may have been a close battle with Saturn a distant 3rd but having decent sales in Japan and possibly beating PS1 there.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Rampant piracy.

tripenfall said:
It would have been interesting because the processor, levels of RAM and built in graphic tools took a big
turd over the Playstation.

Who do you think would have won the gen? I would say it would have been similar to the SNES and Genesis, where SNES won but didn't dominate, expect PS1 will edge out N64.

Edit: Forget that. N64 would have won by a good amount.

Nintendo could have kept alot of their 3rd party support from the SNES days and the playing field may have been leveled out because with Squaresoft still backing Nintendo then the RPGs would have been mainstreamed on the N64 not the PS1 and with RPGs and platformers being the most popular genres back then, who knows what would have happened.

It's a very interesting thing to think about!