By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are Rpg's making a huge comeback

Ive been a huge Jrpg fan since the super nintendo days, played all the awesome old snes/ps1 rpgs and grew up loving them.Then for a good long while it seemed like there was a jrpg drought and nobody wanted to make them anymore.  But now finally 2013/2014 hit and there is a onslaught of rpgs out and coming out this year.  What happend??? Do people play jrpgs again and turn based rpgs again?  Is the Fps genre dying off and people are flocking to rpgs?  Even some mmo numbers are down but 1player rpgs are up?

Around the Network

Have they?
To me it looks like a constant stream of RPG's.

There have been a fair few over the past few years, a lot on handhelds. They've lost a little popularity in the West from the PS1-PS2 days but devs have kept making them.

Yea audience has changed for consoles but certainly tons of them on handheld and i am not sure we will see much more just a coincidence that we got a few this year on consoles.

Huge comeback? They're still scarse, in my eyes...

Around the Network

What is this huge comeback of JRPGs you speak of. Doesn't seem that way to me.

Jrpgs haven't made a come back, if they were I wouldn't be playing half the crap genres I'm playing today due to lack of JRPGS.

Viltgance said:

Ive been a huge Jrpg fan since the super nintendo days, played all the awesome old snes/ps1 rpgs and grew up loving them.Then for a good long while it seemed like there was a jrpg drought and nobody wanted to make them anymore.  But now finally 2013/2014 hit and there is a onslaught of rpgs out and coming out this year.  What happend??? Do people play jrpgs again and turn based rpgs again?  Is the Fps genre dying off and people are flocking to rpgs?  Even some mmo numbers are down but 1player rpgs are up?

Traditionally JRPGs on a console start out slow, and really come out later in life cycle.  This is due to Japanese developers taking bit of time to get on new system, long development cycles and then long localization process.

I do agree that publishers such as Aksys, NIS, Atlus, XSeed and others have been fairly busy with PS3 and PSV in 2013 and 2014.

I will say many people will dismiss these as many are second or third tier titles, simply fact is sadly (for me) JRPGs in the west do not put up big numbers outside Pokemon and maybe Final Fantasy.  

Maybe the more action than rpg is worn out abit and its time to go back to the roots.

As people's lives get worse they want to live a different life. That is where role playing comes in.