By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Online ONLY MultiPlayer Games Are Bad For Gamer's.

No.

Go tell that to League of Legends. Or to Dota 2. Or to Team Fortress. Or World of Warcraft. Multipkeyer games are far and away the biggest games in the world. Does it matter if the servers get shut down? No. Those games have already provided their value to their consumer as is evident by their massive player base.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I think it's fine. It just depends on the person buying. I mean, people pay $60 for 8 hours of single-player. On the other hand, someone who likes multi-player might get hundreds of hours out of a multi-player only title.

Personally, at $60, I only buy games with high value, where I know I'll get at least a couple of weeks of play time. Multi- or single-player, I don't think it matters.

So your saying that when you purchase a game, the amount of usage you get out of the game all depends on the price ? 

I'm sorry but there are different target markets of gamers. Many like to play online and disregard the campaign. Many are old fashioned and like the immersive single player games.

Why waste time making a campaign when your target market will ignore it. It makes sense.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

They are aimed at the lowest common denominator consumer.

mysteryman said:
daredevil.shark said:
Agree with the OP. Good read. I can still replay my old games which is a plus for single player games. I do enjoy multiplayer but I view it sometimes as DRM. No matter what people will say like "Disk based" games "Single player" games will last a longer time that other people think.

It's sad to think in 20 years time, people will be reminiscing about games like MAG and Garden warfare, but be unable to play them at all.

But I'll still be pulling out my N64 to relive Pokemon Stadium minigames with friends.

NINJA EDIT: I just realised the futility of wanting to play 8th Gen games in 20 years as there won't be any working consoles left... (well maybe Wii U's)

I already feel the pain. I bought the Final Fight/ Magic Sword combo pack on PSN for my ps3 some years ago. Now that my ps3 is not hooked up to the internet, its totally unplayable.  

Around the Network

Putting an apostrophe before the S at the end of a plural is bad for GAMERS.

BenVTrigger said:
No.

Go tell that to League of Legends. Or to Dota 2. Or to Team Fortress. Or World of Warcraft. Multipkeyer games are far and away the biggest games in the world. Does it matter if the servers get shut down? No. Those games have already provided their value to their consumer as is evident by their massive player base.

I have a copy of Terminator 2 on Blu-Ray, I paid like $15 for it and I may have watched it like 45 times. Yet I still think it has value. Heck I could sell it today and get something back for it. Hence, someone else can still enjoy it.

sabastian said:
pokoko said:
I think it's fine. It just depends on the person buying. I mean, people pay $60 for 8 hours of single-player. On the other hand, someone who likes multi-player might get hundreds of hours out of a multi-player only title.

Personally, at $60, I only buy games with high value, where I know I'll get at least a couple of weeks of play time. Multi- or single-player, I don't think it matters.

So your saying that when you purchase a game, the amount of usage you get out of the game all depends on the price ? 

I'm saying that I can't afford or justify within my budget spending $60 on a game that I'm done with after two days.  Value matters to me.  When the next Fallout or Dragon Age games come out, I'll probably buy them at full price, as I know I won't need another game to play for weeks.  Most other games, I'll wait until the price drops.

My point is that value is relative.  

sales2099 said:

I'm sorry but there are different target markets of gamers. Many like to play online and disregard the campaign. Many are old fashioned and like the immersive single player games.

Why waste time making a campaign when your target market will ignore it. It makes sense.

Well a perfect example is Uncharted 2. 

Many gamers including myself was very happy that it was single player only. 

ND added a multiplayer option to the package and is now making added millions in DLC on Uncharted. pLus many previous players now play and enjoy the multiplayer too. 

I think it works with some games not all. Heck I bought The Last Of Us on launch date and have yet to try out the multiplayer........so sad.

crissindahouse said:

I'm fine with them since it makes no difference to me if a game I buy for the online multiplayer has also a singleplayer or not. If as example Battlefield has a singlepayer or not doesn't change that i would play only the online multiplayer and that will be much more time as I would ever invest in 95% of singleplayer games so that I get much more playtime with my online games as i do with my singleplayer games even if they shut down the servers after a while.

Sure, it would be great if I could theoretically play an online game even 20 yearsd after release but I don't think that I will ever miss that. I also don't play my old singleplayer games on my old consoles even if I could.

If they make an online only game out of a franchise I love for the singleplayer is something else but that doesn't have anything to do with the servers and more with the fact that I want that game as singleplayer game.

OK. So here is a senerio.

If your a multiplayer gamer only and the next release of Battlefield game will be multiplayer only, plus, Dice announces that the servers will be up for exactly 1 year after the game is released. After that, the servers will be shut down. Would you still pay full $60 for that game.