By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Console Gaming in Japan not Dead just in a Coma.

Ruler said:

Because they cant, no publisher is intterested

No publisher was interested in Minecraft, State of Decay, Ori, No Man Sky, etc...

Makes sense.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Gilgamesh said:

I'm curious in the hardware and software sales when Star Ocean, street fighter and FFXV release and what it'll do, if sales go back to mediocre after these three games then I give up on Japan.

They corner themselves by not using Xbox or WiiU to expand their userbase.

They might rake little by little sales on Xbox but it will only grow, plus the porting costs are low and the porting itself is easier this time around.

nothing sells on xbox or wii u, you have to understand that

Ka-pi96 said:
thedawghousev2 said:
Goatseye said:

They might rake little by little sales on Xbox but it will only grow, plus the porting costs are low and the porting itself is easier this time around.

nothing sells on xbox or wii u, you have to understand that

Well that's odd. Why do Xbox and Wii U games keep appearing on sales charts then?

was talking about japan brah

Goatseye said:
DavidKell said:
Goatseye said:

What's that?

Meaning the lack of sales for their games in Japan on the xbox (their strongest market) hurt the companies and they would rather play it safe and launch on a console that sells better in Japan and the world.

Isn't that short sighted? I actually would say "console that sells better in Japan", because X360 sold better in the first & second(UK) biggest market last gen and they never tried to expand their business.

Yes and no. Japanes games sell by far on the average best in Japan (alot don't even make it out of Japan), so it make sense. But it will also become a self-fulling choice as Japanes games come out on the PS4 it will increase the PS4 market share leading to an even larger difference.

Now I think microsoft it partly to blame they should have used the RPGs they had last gen and packaged them in with every console until they had several million sold of each creating a better market for Japanes games on their console.

Ka-pi96 said:

Partially. I mean, for the smaller more niche titles then yeah going PS exclusive makes sense. The bigger ones that have appeal outside of Japan however should definitely be multiplat, same for those that want to try and gain fans outside of Japan.

Goat Simulator is having a splash on Xbox 1 right now. Let that sink in...

They need to have a little bit of more confidence.

Around the Network
DavidKell said:

Yes and no. Japanes games sell by far on the average best in Japan (alot don't even make it out of Japan), so it make sense. But it will also become a self-fulling choice as Japanes games come out on the PS4 it will increase the PS4 market share leading to an even larger difference.

Now I think microsoft it partly to blame they should have used the RPGs they had last gen and packaged them in with every console until they had several million sold of each creating a better market for Japanes games on their console.

Japanese didn't buy 360 or the games. They can't keep throwing money in the toilet.

A $600 PS3 was selling more than $300+ 360 in Japan at the time. That's a sign.

Ka-pi96 said:
thedawghousev2 said:

was talking about japan brah

Point still stands. Wii U and even on rare occasion Xbox games have and will continue to appear on Japanese sales charts. So clearly something is selling on them.

Are most JRPG devs mad at Nintendo or something? Cartridges have been gone for a long time, what's their gripe now with big N?

Ka-pi96 said:

Point still stands. Wii U and even on rare occasion Xbox games have and will continue to appear on Japanese sales charts. So clearly something is selling on them.

wii u is on the japan charts when well known nintendo games drop, xbox one's highest selling game in japan is titanfall which came with the xbox one in japan and it sold 35,000 copies. are we seriously trying to say games on xbox one sell in japan ka-pi?

Ka-pi96 said:

Really? So you think their strategy never worked? Have a read of this article and see if you change your mind...
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/258697/securing-jrpg-exclusives-for-the-xbox-360-was-it-a-good-strategy-or-not/

MS would have to sink money there instead of the West to compete with local brands.

They would have to moneyhatt every time to have Tales of on 360. I'm glad they saved their money for Mass Effect and Bioshock.

It's also a publisher/developer job to create a market for their games. Look at Soul series, it could've stayed on PS consoles but From Software is much more ambitious than that.

Goatseye said:
Gilgamesh said:

I'm curious in the hardware and software sales when Star Ocean, street fighter and FFXV release and what it'll do, if sales go back to mediocre after these three games then I give up on Japan.

I agree that Japanese developers should go multiplat as often as possible. Every sale counts and after the great Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Inifnite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant I think there are quite a few JRPG fans on Xbox One outside of Japan.

In most cases the extra sales on Xbox One and Wii U would definitely cover the costs of porting.