By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we ever see a standard game format?

kingofwale said:
Imthelegend said:
kingofwale said:
^and I believe the Phantom is supposed to be all downloadable games. ;)

Never heard of it. have I missed something.

yeah, apparently you did. Welcome to the biggest joke in gaming industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_(game_system)

Wow what a joke. All pc games could be played on it. This would have needed constant upgrades to keep it up to date.

Around the Network

The Phantom failled for alot of reasons (A LOT). But once hardware starts to level out. I'm mean this is basiclly microsofts early busisness model for computers. Why wouldn't it happen?

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

>Why wouldn't it happen?

because:

1.. nobody wants to run Vista
2... then you'd get a PC, and it's been proven time and time again that PC gaming is going downhill.
3... Good luck getting Sony and Nintendo to agree with this.
4... Monopoly is baaad for gaming industry. If I see Chicken Shoot-esque game on my console, I will burn it. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

In 2012 Nintendo will answer your question with Virtual Console 2.0(on Wii2). ;)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

I'm not talking about Vista and not talking about in the next 10 years. And I'm most certainly not talking about PC games. I was talking about microsofts early busisness modle and applyng it to gaming. And apple didn't agree with it either.

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

It will happen after PC gaming has standardization, i.e., as soon as MAC and LINUX gaming is killed off.

Will we ever see a standard game format?

No, not until Nintendo is dead at least.

It will happen after PC gaming has standardization, i.e., as soon as MAC and LINUX gaming is killed off.

Mac and Linux gaming is already essentially a non-entity. It certainly wasn't a factor a few years ago.

I guess this topic is asking if there will be a single standard once hardware advancements level off. But I'm not sure that will ever happen, or at least not as long as society as we know it is still recognizable. There will always be room for advancement. We might reach photorealistic graphics in a few years, but will we be able to render an entire crowd of people photorealistically? A city? A planet? Will we be able to examine objects up close? Microscopically? Will there be support for physics systems that calculate all effects and properties at a particle level? Will we be able to jump seamlessly from a racing game to a fighting game to space travel without switching engines? Until we can do all this and more, the demand for better hardware, and the competition that goes with it, will continue.

nope. Nintendo will never sign off on their IP. It is way too valuable.

Moore's Law does eventually run out, some think around 2020 when we get down to using atoms (not that progress will stop just slow down). there is a limit to how small we can go and when we get there the competitive edge will start to disapear. And with no fear of the hardware expiring so quick software will become the important difference. I agree nintendo will never bye in just like apple. I think everyone thinks I'm talking about an absolute standard game format involving nintendo. What i'm mean is will we see a mac/windows type senario for gaming? Also does anyone else think this is where Microsoft is headed?

ioi + 1